Where have all the Washington Square Bars gone to? (like Cats Meow & Texas Bar)

Dear Friends, I know this wouldn't have be everybody's favourite hangout, but I used enjoy bar-hopping around the Washington Square bars. The ones that come to mind are Hare & Hounds, Cats Meow, Wild Country, Texas Lone Staar, Silver Dollar, The Green Room, Cheers Pub, Prince of Wales. Last time I passed by there (about 9 months ago) they had all gone due to some building takeover - probably a hotel chain or supermarket - anyway, what about the bars? Have any of them relocated anywhere? I noticed Taffy's had survived ... Anyone got any info on the rest? or any funny stories to tell? feel welcome. Basil.

Maew from Cats Meow lives near me in Central Thailand so that won't reopen.

I was down that way on Tuesday morning 23 July 2013 and apart from Taffy's or the New Square One it has all gone. I will try to shrink some photos and post them here later.

Correct Bourbon street was a bar/restaurant and hotel which moved to a soi down off of Thong Lor along time ago about 4-5 years ago if not more.

As for the rest I believe none of the others moved. Washington square was slowly dying for a long time. I forget who bought the land and what they are building.

About 6 months ago I heard the owners were leasing out the property. Not sure who finally secured the lease. Has work begun already?

The whole are has already been demolished, including all the Shophouses which used to be on Sukhumvit Road almost all the way down to Soi 22.

Patrick

About 6 months ago I heard the owners were leasing out the property. Not sure who finally secured the lease. Has work begun already?

The whole are has already been demolished, including all the Shophouses which used to be on Sukhumvit Road almost all the way down to Soi 22.

Patrick

Thanks. Haven't been there in years, but was at Bourbon St. a few months ago talking with the owner.

A loooong time ago there was a very small bar there that served great mexican food.

At least one of those bars relocated to Queen's Park Plaza complex, I can't remember which one. Surely, though, the services offered will not be the same in that very "public" complex. I've also heard that one or two of the bars (or staff from a few of them) moved to a small soi off of 22, not that far in from Sukhumvit, but I haven't been down there myself.

I had my 49th birthday party in 1993 in No Probl'm as Catd Maew was then and it took me a day and many showers to get rid of all the cream sponge birthday cake from bits of my body I didn't even know I had.

The first time I ever threw a 180 at darts was there and I was also in the darts team of the Bad News Bears with the shirt somewhere in my wardrobe.

I remember the time that Maew rented the bar to a girl who worked there whose name I have long forgotten and she used to keep a huge snake in a cage outside the door. As a souvenir of the old days I ended up with the drinks bell and it is still somewhere around the house as I write.

The Lone Starr did a great breakfast, the Silver Dollars Tex Mex food was good and in the last few years the Sports Bar did some great meals.

The last movie I ever watched on a big screen was Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing when the Washington Theatre was still a cinema. Last week brought back many happy memories and some sadness too but life moves on as we all must do.

I have a few more photos somewhere deep in the bowels of my pc in some long forgotten corner.

Edited by billd766

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/3/2021 at 2:29 PM, 2009 said:

So, anyone know of where any of these other bars ended up?

Or where the old punters are drinking now? Anything Washington-esque?

Or where the birds have gone?

Cheers

A few of the Square regulars moved over to the alley beside Buddy's, Moderation, Too Easy, Squeeze etc. Tom opened Buddy's (now has loads of locations) after D'Pelican on Soi 22 closed. Later on, after Queen's Park Plaza was demolished, some of the bars including Jack's Hideaway, moved down to Soi 7 plaza.

Taffy died a couple of years ago back in England due to COVID.

Paul, the Irish stuntman that had the Green Room also passed away I believe, nobody had contact with him for a while. 

Martin, who used to run the Traveller's Corner bar on the corner of Soi 22 (now Country Road) owns a bar on St. 172 called D'Lux in Phnom Penh.