I want to rent a house in Chiang Mai or suburb.

yimlitnoy

I would like to rent a house in Chiang Mai or suburb. Furnished or not. The idea is to move to Chiang Mai and see if I would like to live there. My budget is no more than 12,000 Baht/month. We are 3 in the family, wife, son and myself. However, if suburb, not too far from city, I do not like to drive during the night due to low vision...

Maybe renting a condominium at that price would be better?

I intend to fly to Chiang Mai for a holiday and look around in the very near future. If someone could indicate an area for starting the search would be nice. Do you have any advice on how to proceed after going to an hotel in Chiang Mai? Is it advisable to contact an estate agent?

Don't live close to town myself but i would say your budget is a bit on the low side for a house somewhere not too far out. Condo; maybe. Get 10 klicks out of town and things are a lot cheaper; no need for night time driving if you don't want to, just do it all in daylight.

Someone that lives in town will be along with all the info' you need i would think.

I would recommend that you Google real estate agents, Chiang Mai Thailand. You will find that most if not all of the agents shown have a section on the web site for rentals as well as sales. You will be able to see pictures of the properties, rental rates and approximate locations.

Suburbs this price is easily enough - in Hang Dong (Thai Moo Bahns rather than Ban Wan Tan etc) then a nice 3 bed with garden furnished can be got for 8-10k easily (less for an older house or with little or no garden). Many foreigners live out here in HD too. I know of several near me that are priced between 8 and 15k - the top end is 4/5 bed with good gardens, 24hr security, low moo bahn fees.

Best bet is to rent something short term using an agent or stay in a guesthouse/serviced apartment (this will be more than your budget most likely due to short time - but can be made up for) and look around when you get here - post again and people will point you in the right direction/offer you their old places/may be even meet up with you and help.

PS: Usually you need to sign a 1-year contract and pay 2 to 4 months deposit (and don't expect to get that back at the end - if you do its a bonus!) - and then pay each month (often the first month is covered with the deposit in my experience - having rented 4 places here in CM). So, another reason to look around.

PPS: Hand Dong to town is via either bus (cheap but hot and crowded) or SongTaew at 20 baht (from HD to Mall - Airport Plaza - is 10baht adult 5baht kid - or double that if you go past Samoeng junction). Airport Plaza also runs free songtaew to/from the main hotels in town - right into Loy Kroh/Night Bazaar too.

International schools nearby: Lanna International / American Pacific / Grace - Thai private: Sarassat./ Ambassador - several Thai state schools too. Most in-town international/private(bi/tri-lingual) schools run school buses (costs around 1,000b per kid per month from Hang Dong).

Hang Dong is between 10 and 17km out of town (South).

Edited by wolf5370

My wife's family own a place right downtown that will be available again soon. (Next month) Two bedrooms, large living room / dining area and kitchen downstairs. And within your budget. So no need for long drives; you can walk to the main markets and Rim Ping supermarket actually. I'll send you a private message.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

My son is studying in Canada and he is only visiting each 6 months for a few weeks. 2 to 3 bedrooms are a must. I intend to go to Chiang Mai, take an hotel in the center to get a feel of the city and the environment. I bet that there are many TV members with the same intentions to leave bangkok and try something new.

I have lived in the same apartment in Bangkok for 34 years, Sathorn area, and my wife is pushing, begging, pleading for a house with garden... I am generally happy to reside not too far from the nightlife action. Can you also recommend an hotel for less then 1200 Baht near where I can have my daily pint of beer in a nice bar?

I am on a working schedule of one month in Thailand and one month outside Thailand, I will certainly visit Hand Dong as suggested above, is it safe as my wife will be by herself most of the time?

I ruled out townhouse with no air circulation as generally one end is completely closed. I like windows and sun light, the reason I asked for a house. I would also consider a condo in town for security sake. Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I have lived in the same apartment in Bangkok for 34 years, Sathorn area, and my wife is pushing, begging, pleading for a house with garden... I am generally happy to reside not too far from the nightlife action. Can you also recommend an hotel for less then 1200 Baht near where I can have my daily pint of beer in a nice bar?

Few hotels have bars that are worth hanging out in. But there are quite a few that are very near bars.

A good hotel near 'nightlife action' would be the Raming Lodge. (Check on Agoda, it should be around your budget).

It may however be a little too close. You could also consider Imm Thapae. Or something inside the moat area where it's a little quieter.

The Centara DuangTawan is nice, they have superiors for 1280 baht on Agoda (although they shift fast), right near the junction of Loi Kroh and Night Bazaar, lots of restaurants and bars in the vicinity, and good access to public transport if you want to wander around town.

I am on a working schedule of one month in Thailand and one month outside Thailand, I will certainly visit Hand Dong as suggested above, is it safe as my wife will be by herself most of the time?

Yes, safe - roads are wide and pretty much empty (especially the 121 and 108) so can be a little dangerous late at night with speeders (if meandering around in the road!) - but other than that it pretty quiet at night and been safe for me and my daughters for the last 5 years. I often walk to the local expat put through the back streets which is a walk about 4km - and walk back after midnight - no problems (with people stopping to offer lifts :))

• Rent a condo first, you may hate it... it's busy today and immigration is lots of fun.
  • Agree with others, go around looking at signs is best bet (with Thai in tow).
  • Agency route: take note of numbers and call owner back later as most will bend you over.
  • Never pay more than two months' deposit (ideally one)!
  • There are big moobahns in all directions, with Hang Dong (nasty road) having most.

I will certainly follow all the advices above, fly to Chiang Mai, take a room in the Centara hotel then read this update topic while there. I should go on exploration for a house in Hand Dong and Rungarroon 3. What is the red truck? Please keep advising...

I will certainly follow all the advices above, fly to Chiang Mai, take a room in the Centara hotel then read this update topic while there. I should go on exploration for a house in Hand Dong and Rungarroon 3. What is the red truck? Please keep advising...

He means a Song Taew - although I would rent a moped instead and just drive around lots of moo bahns - stop in in the mum and pop grocery stores in the moo bahns (with your Thai helper) and ask them if they know of any for rent - they often know about those without visible signs - and may give you the low down on good versus not so good (building and landlords!).

Look on Google Maps and get a list of Moo Bahns (often have "Ban" in front). When you get here post again and people in these moo bahns might give you info to save you a trip. Be careful of foreigners offering their places as often these have been purchased at a premium and are over prices compared to their neighbours. Not saying this is always so of course, but always worth checking. Take no one's word for anything - check yourself. There are literally hundreds of places for rent at any time here - and at least as many for sale too (building all the time) - so take your time and find the place that is best all round for you. Personally I like being out of town - others prefer in town - if you are here for good, then don't forget you only lock yourself in for a year - so if it is not such an issue, I would chose out side first and move in later if you find it hard to cope (note it is really just the bars that are the difference - outside of town there are still Macros/BigCs/Tescos/Post Offices/swimming pools/expat bars/hairdressers/etc - just less choice in tourist bars, massage parlours and shops.