Advice on hotel in BKK

bobslyder

I like the Narai on Silom road - close to good eating, the river and the rot fai fa (overhead rail). It is a family orientated hotel and has a good buffet breakfast - it's Sunday brunch buffet as excellent. $60 a night is usual. But as I posted previously look at Trip Advisor for reviews and then, as Toybits suggested check with Agoda for a price - I always check direct with the hotel as well as I have on occasion had a better deal.

Like most big cities the area you stay gives a rather different experience. Silom is more a business area, Sukumwhit is shopping and Banglamphu for tourists but has its attractions as well. Depends a bit on what you want to do whilst in BKK. Taxis are cheap and with overhead and underground rail make getting about pretty easy. So you may well find that spending a lot on a fancy hotel is a waste as you will be out and about most of the time. I used to stay at either the Hilton or the Peninsula years ago but now we stay regularly stay at Lamphu House (guesthouse), for a fraction of the cost, and strangely prefer the experience.

Here are two hotels that I have stayed at, and liked, in the Sukhumvit area. They are both clean and everything worked. They are both fairly close to BTS and MRT stations.

Amora Neoluxe Suites on Soi 31 Sukhumvit Road. It's a fairly new hotel, and nice and clean. Staff was friendly and professional. If you are a techno-geek you will love the computer desk setup. It has a connection panel with power outlet, LAN and telephone jacks, and multiple connections (VGA, USB, HDMI, and other types)to the large flat-screen TV. I took a three-day trip to Kanchanaburi and Amora Neolux stored my large suitcase for me, no problem.

They do have a small pool. They also have a small fitness room with treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, several resistance machines, two benches, and a rack of light to medium dumbbells. The room also has a safe to store your valuables. The included buffet breakfast did have a not a huge selection but was tasty and satisfied me.

You are a short walk to Sukhumvit Road with plenty of restaurants, pubs, and shops. If you take a left on hitting Sukhumvit a short walk brings you to Villa Supermarket where you can plenty of western type food and drink. (Much cheaper than the minibar prices). You are also approx equal distance (around 500m) from the Phrom Phong and Asok BTS stations. Also right next to the Asok BTS station is the Sukhumvit MRT subway station.

S Sukhumvit Suites at 403 Sukhumvit Road (Asoke Intersection). Clean and everything works. The room also has a safe to store your valuables. No pool though. The standard rooms are a bit small and it's a little more expensive than the Amora Neoluxe. With your budget you could probably get one of the larger rooms. The big plus for this hotel is that it is literally right next to the Asoke BTS station and the Sukhumvit MRT station. So traveling around the city and back to the hotel is easy.