Fed up with the medical services here.

dogpoo

Visited the hospital yesterday with 11 yr old step daughter, she has been hot all over for 3 days now, doctor said its a cold and gave us 4 lots of tablets costing nearly 1000฿ didn't examine her just looked and gave his verdict, all he did say was might have to come back if its something serious, this is at one of Phukets top private hospitals, now gf wants to take her to a clinic where they will give her an injection of some kind, I've tried telling the gf she needs a blood test but she won't have it, oh well up to her!!

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, Thais believe that there is a magical injection that can cure anything. I think they see it as being symbolic of western medicine, and is "superior" treatment. My missus always insists on an injection for everything - she firmly believes that if you don't get an injection, the symptoms won't improve. I'm sure that some of the injections are either simple antibiotics or even H2O and largely irrelevant to the medical condition.

Regardless, the placebo effect is miraculous and she is instantly cured. We all know this is pure BS but that's how many of them think. I had a viral infection a while ago and the doc wanted to give me an injection. I asked what it was and she says antibiotics. Of no use whatsoever against a virus. I told her this and she said ok, we give you anti viral pills as well.

Try taking your daughter to a clinic for a second opinion. I've found that the doctors at clinics are more inclined to spend time and understand the symptoms more so than some of the big hospitals. If she's given an injection then she and her mother will probably both feel better, irrespective of the need for an injection. Mind over matter.

• Like 1

did the Dr. tell you what the pills were for?

All the pills are in Thai, tried to ask the gf but she doesn't know, gf is taking daughter to clinic and I assume his injection!

Don't forget that a Thai will never question the opinions or treatment of a doctor directly - too much disrespect for the Khun Mor. Hell they won't even tell their hairdresser that they're cocking up the style, they'd rather go to another hairdresser to get it fixed.

I always go when our daughter is sick so I can be the ignorant farang and ask all the obvious questions or seek clarification.

did the Dr. tell you what the pills were for?

All the pills are in Thai, tried to ask the gf but she doesn't know, gf is taking daughter to clinic and I assume his injection!

Don't forget that a Thai will never question the opinions or treatment of a doctor directly - too much disrespect for the Khun Mor. Hell they won't even tell their hairdresser that they're cocking up the style, they'd rather go to another hairdresser to get it fixed.

I always go when our daughter is sick so I can be the ignorant farang and ask all the obvious questions or seek clarification.

Lets see what today brings! she seems a little bit better today!!

Nowhereman60

Tact and diplomacy of course succeeded in securing what you wanted !

The tablets we were give by the hospital made her very sick, incompetence springs to mind!! had to go to a clinic to get a blood test!!

Blood test confirms Dengue fever, so angry with these idiots who say they are doctors!!!

As a foreigner, you shouldn't be taking a Thai child to any medical facility, it costs much much more.

Your gf should be taking her child to a government hospital for free.

Medical care for Thai children is free, including any medications provided.

Correct care for children with Dengue (Kai luat awk) is glucose/saline drip + paracetamol in a hospital bed.

With mum sponging the kid down frequently with a damp cool towel.

Forgot to say, hope the kid gets well soon.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Blood test confirms Dengue fever, so angry with these idiots who say they are doctors!!!

As a foreigner, you shouldn't be taking a Thai child to any medical facility, it costs much much more.

Correct care for children with Dengue (Kai luat awk) is glucose/saline drip + paracetamol.

My gf is Thai and she doesn't know it's free!!

Correct care for children with Dengue (Kai luat awk) is glucose/saline drip + paracetamol.

When was the last time you walked into a government hospital waiting room ?

When was the last time you walked into a government hospital waiting room ?

twice this morning. crowded, but a non-essential visit for neighbours young child (bi-monthly blood tests).

twice last week, neighbours young child with high temp, no waiting admitted within 10mins to hospital ward

(suspected dengue).

3 weeks ago for me, stitches out, slow, but all done in 1 hour.

5 weeks ago for me, cut leg needed stitches, seen instantly, done and dusted in 45 mins.

Thai government hospitals generally do a really good job, far better than the private hospitals I have been to, and even when you pay as a foreigner still very reasonable cost. Busy during the days, but empty if you go after 7pm.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

My gf is Thai and she doesn't know it's free!!

Oh dear.

I know where to come if I'm sick - TV - everyone is a doctor here!

As a professional physician, it's my duty to inform you there's no medical cure for High Horse Syndrome. :(

If you are indeed a Doctor why not air your opinion rather than post sarcasm!!

As a professional physician, it's my duty to inform you there's no medical cure for High Horse Syndrome. sad.png

There's also no cure for lack of humour. ;)

As a professional physician, it's my duty to inform you there's no medical cure for High Horse Syndrome. Posted Image

There's also no cure for lack of humour. ;)

There's also no cure for feeling like shish straight away! Don't feel like laughing mate!!

The OP's experience with total disinterest and unwillingness from the first doctor to even consider dengue probably gets repeated 100 times daily across LOS, hence the current epidemic. I would certainly go back and file a complaint.

Since the step daughter was (and maybe still is) in the infectious stage where she can infect a mosquito, then not unreasonable to expect that the OP has contracted dengue as well. How many other family members in the same house?

My experience with a private hospital was 100% different from the OP's when I had my bout with dengue. After 3 days of feeling like sh!t, I went to see the doctor on Monday who said it was probably dengue and too the blood sample. Three days later the results confirmed the original diagnosis and they took another blood sample to gauge if the platelet count was stable. On the Friday they confirmed it was stable and no need for hospitalization. Since there's no medication for curing it, I just take some paracetamols for the odd ache and pain and let the body kick it out.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew