BKK to Koh Samui by land

Doing the journey from Koh Chang to Koh Samui by land.

Bit epic.

But also not a great planner. So everything's kinda last minute.

Aim is to arrive Mo Chit sometime tomorrow afternoonish (around 4.30pm assuming good traffic - maybe 6pm assuming bad traffic, dunno how precise they are with their bus arrival times).

Trying to decide on bus or train. Train seems the most straightforward and comfortable. Leaves around 7.30pm i gather and arrives (after a shuttle bus and ferry) around 11am. Cost is slightly high at 1300 baht for 2nd class ac sleeper or 1600 for first class. There will also be a cargo fee because im carrying (and this is really the gist of all my burdens) a 180 cm, 25kg filled up snowboard bag with me (it does have a snowboard in it, impractical as it is, its not an aesthetic choice).

But cant seem to get clear info on the buses and times. Want to use government bus obviously because i have all my worldly goods with me and dont need the worry of people ripping me off.

Ive found ballpark figures around 900 baht all in, and all things considered id probably rather pay the little extra for the comfort and ease of the train option. But then again, if i understand it correctly, the bus actually takes you to the island itself and even makes stops at various points which is of course hella convenient. Not 100% sure the shuttle bus with the train package does anything more than drops you at the ferry terminal on koh samui. And with my epic sized bag im obviously worried that im going to be lumbered there by taxi drivers refusing to even deal with it. Oh the issues. How i wish i didnt love snowboarding and wasnt carrying this stupid bag around thailand because im going back to korea in september :/

So just curious about prices, timetables, and drop offs. Basically details if you could help me. Thanks dudes.

ETA: Is this still accurate for buses?

Samui 993 A/C 1st class VIP(24 seats) 13 hrs 07.30, 19.00, 19.30,20.20,20.30

Samui 572 A/C 2nd class(40 seats) 13 hrs 19.00,20.00

Samui 421 A/C 2st class (44 seats) 13 hrs 15.30,16.30

(the second column is the price).

And is this accurate for trains?

Combined train + ferry fare

One-way

train+ferry fare...

- 1st class sleeper a/c express train

+ 2nd class sleeper a/c express train

* 2nd class seat a/c fast railcar

Bangkok to Ko Samui

- 1,539 (£32)

+ 968 (£21)

* 778 (£16)

Edited by weecree
  • Like 1

Buses leave at exactly scheduled time and that time table seems to be up to date.

With your snowboard, if that shuttle bus from train station is a minivan, then they may not have space for it.

The option with least hassle is to take the VIP 24 seat bus. You'll be able to take your board as luggage all the way to Samui.

With the train option, you'll have to lump your board out off the train, then on to the connecting bus, then off on to the ferry and off the ferry. You'll also need to find transportation at the ferry pier on Samui. There aren't that many taxis or song thiaw there compared to at the bus terminal downtown in Nathon. They will also usually charge you more from the ferry pier.

You should be able to find a station-wagon type of taxi which will be able to take your board. If not, then it'll definitely go either on top or at the back of a song thiaw. You may probably have to rent one for yourself.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

cheers dudes. What mole said though was at the forefront of my worries. The word shuttle-bus immediately conjured up the notion of minivan, and minivan drivers in my experience havent exactly been the most accommodating people in my time here.

It does seem that of the two, the bus is just edging it. The train was slightly in the lead when i thought i could just go from Mo chit to the sky train and then off to the train station. But it turns out you need to get a taxi anyway since its a good walk away from the station. So if i have to get a taxi anyway, its all down to the convenience thereafter. Were it not for this damn bag though, the train would be almost blindingly obvious. The bus takes it so far just because once youre on, youre not messing about with transfers until youre in samui. Its going to be a rough nights sleep of course... but all things considered its possibly the better option of the two. Curse you massive nitro bag from hell!

Don't care too much about taxis in BKK, i'm sure they can accomodate you (unless you are with too many others) just try to avoid them on Samui!!

Your Snowboard it general shouldn't be more hassle than the big diving bags many people are travelling with here to the islands (not sure about the dimensions of your board though). Should be able to store them atop of any Songthaew.

I'd suggest the train, not sure the overnight bus has enough space for your board.

P.S.: Trying hard not to comment about bringing a swnowboard to the islands! laugh.png

Edited by longtom

that may actually be a half decent alternative, since if theres one thing im absolutely dreading its the kerfuffle involved in skipping around bangkok with that bag. I dont know pattaya or rayong that well, but i assume they only have the one main bus station, which means its get off, buy theticket, get on the next bus. Cheers dude.

P.S.: Trying hard not to comment about bringing a swnowboard to the islands! laugh.png

hehe, i know. But was pretty sure before i even came here that id end up pining for the winter bythe time summer rolled in so although i sold the other FOUR snowboards i owned before moving here from japan, i had to keep one. Took barely a month of stifling humidity and torrential rain/insane heat/torrential rain to put an end to the thailand dream. So off back to korea next month where all the aggro of lugging the damn thing around will pay off. Sort of... ive already spent time on korean mountains ;)

Find a place to store the board in Bangkok. When you fly to Korea, you most likely go through Bangkok again anyway.

Alternatively send the long bag ahead via mail or airmail. Not that expensive and saves you loads of hassle carrying it around.

About 30 days. Got a tefl course in Koh Samui then its job hunt korea time. Honestly, not going to koh samui for the sunshine and sand. Wish i could just do it in bangkok, but got a rad deal for KS plus meeting a friend down there so it has to be done :( Im all ears of course on places that might keep my bag for a month, but its all a bit late in the day plus, annoying as it is, if i work it out right theres minimal aggro with it. There is only the one bus station in Rayong right and that yellow bus goes from it? And my bus to bangkok from Trat stops at the rayong terminal, right? If so im pretty sure i can catch one of those very swish looking buses (i did the government bus on the way here, and i wont bore you with the details, but lets just say bottom emergency and 3 hours of people staring daggers and gagging from it. :))

that may actually be a half decent alternative, since if theres one thing im absolutely dreading its the kerfuffle involved in skipping around bangkok with that bag. I dont know pattaya or rayong that well, but i assume they only have the one main bus station, which means its get off, buy theticket, get on the next bus. Cheers dude.

from memory yes its main bus station on Pattaya Nua, certainly advertised opposite bus station. I lived Samui 9 years and few guys came up to Pattaya on it, great service and includes ferry, worth a look. Snow board on the mini bus from Surat train station to Donsak might not go down to well as they cram them in and its a white knuckle ride from hell. Yes gets around the BKK bus to train or bus to bus bit depeding where you get dropped off in BKK from Koh Chang.

Edited by marstons

You're a bit early with your snowboard. There were plans for an indoor snow facility here, but it's aparently on ice at the moment...

Dunno...could always go to Bar Ice Posted Image

Posted Image

happy days in there what a place to impress the chicks free entry and free shots. Great start to the night.