'Coup rumours baseless'

Lite Beer

POLITICS
'Coup rumours baseless'
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Intelligence Agency (NIA) yesterday dismissed rumours of a possible coup in the face of heightened political pressure against the government.

"After checking all the information from all channels, we found the rumours are totally groundless. There is no indication of a coup. The movement of troops and tanks was really conducted because it was a routine rotation of the army," said NIA director Suwanphan Tanyuvardhana.

The coup rumours spread through cyber-world on the weekend following sightings of tanks and troops in some places. The presence of tanks and troops was said to be regular rotation of personnel and equipment.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-04

Who said anything else about a coup?

The military and this government are completely in bed with each other.

The events of recent weeks simply serve as a reminder and a warning to anyone or any group that thinks they can oust this government through peaceful or other means.

Remember, there's a sizeable share from a gigantic fiscal trough currently at stake.

• Like 1

Who said anything else about a coup?

The military and this government are completely in bed with each other.

The events of recent weeks simply serve as a reminder and a warning to anyone or any group that thinks they can oust this government through peaceful or other means.

Remember, there's a sizeable share from a gigantic fiscal trough currently at stake.

The military is politicised, not some unified force.

Previous loyalty to the other side will be remembered forever so future careers are lost and gained by coups. Only a select few get to profit from big ticket purchases and you get your seat at the table by proving your loyalty.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Is that the same 'National Intelligence Agency' (NIA) which, over years, oversaw the purchase of dozens of empty black plastic boxes, each for the price of a new SUV ? .....despite repeated warnings from people (who don't work in agencies with 'intelligence' in the moniker) that the boxes weren't worth a bottle cap. Maybe they should drop the word 'intelligence' from their moniker.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

Is that the same 'National Intelligence Agency' (NIA) which, over years, oversaw the purchase of dozens of empty black plastic boxes, each for the price of a new SUV ? .....despite repeated warnings from people (who don't work in agencies with 'intelligence' in the moniker) that the boxes weren't worth a bottle cap. Maybe they should drop the word 'intelligence' from their moniker.

The boxes were not worthless. Originally branded as a joke/novelty golf ball finder for the idle rich I believe they had a value of around 10 dollars.

• Like 2

If coup talks are baseless, why every agency including current PM feel the need to tell everyone it's baseless ?

You would think if it was as baseless as so many claim, there would be no need to even address it

It's like a vote of confidence from the board in soccer. It means, sort it out or a coup is coming.

• Like 1

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with the National " Intelligence" Agency.

The reality is that there is every reason for a coup. Think of the Thai economy as a pig that is bled on a regular basis by the 1700 Thai generals. Life is good in their mansions, and the mia nois are a lot of fun. Now the Shinawatra clan steps in and starts taking serious amounts of blood from the pig, to the point of jeopardizing it's life.

Cannot have that, therefore having a coup will restore balance by having another set of people leading the government who understand they must moderate their taking of blood. Easy to understand, as this is the fundamental basis for the other 18 coups.....

It's also to do with which ones of the 1700 get their perceived fair share and have chances for advancement. Some are completely loyal to the privy council, some are just doing their job and some are pro-thaksin.

Anything can be arranged for a fee by either side, but history has shown that short term loyalty to a political party doesn't guarantee a successful career.

Though I have no love for the chief bumblers in Bkk, I totally oppose a coup. They are doing a thorough enough job of shooting themselves in their feet, when their feet aren't in their mouths (sorry for the twisted metaphors). The main thing a coup would do, is inflame the Reds, and they'd be at least partly justified - for renewed anger. It's a painful process - particularly for Thailand's already-disadvantaged (the sorts of folks who would never pay to use a 2 trillion baht bullet train), but let the Shinawatres and PT continue to devise their own demise. It's happening. No need for coup d'etat.

• Like 2

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with the National " Intelligence" Agency.

The reality is that there is every reason for a coup. Think of the Thai economy as a pig that is bled on a regular basis by the 1700 Thai generals. Life is good in their mansions, and the mia nois are a lot of fun. Now the Shinawatra clan steps in and starts taking serious amounts of blood from the pig, to the point of jeopardizing it's life.

Cannot have that, therefore having a coup will restore balance by having another set of people leading the government who understand they must moderate their taking of blood. Easy to understand, as this is the fundamental basis for the other 18 coups.....

I'd always thought the plural should be mias noi ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm off to get a couple of weeks supply of the cold stuff, just incase some loony forbids the sale of alcohol during the party.

Leo in the fridge, let the party begin.... Sooner the better, there really does need to be a serious reality check.

• Like 1

I'd always thought the plural should be mias noi ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I stand corrected, thank you.... :-)

Army denies coup rumours

BANGKOK: -- August 4, 2013 5:08 pmCol Vinthai Suvaree, army deputy spokesman, on Sunday quashed the rumours that the military planned to stage a coup d'etat.

He urged the general public to wisely consume news, in light of growing sensitivity towards messages circulated in social media. He said that some unsubstantiated opinions were meant to mislead society.

"I insist here that the Army has been tied up with urgent tasks, chiefly the rescue of flood victims... The Army is also prepared for royal celebrations which will take place from August to December... The Army is also tasked to ensure security as Their Majesties are now in Hua Hin...

"Please do not involve the Army with non-military activities, or put the Army into your imagination which could confuse society.

"To the general public, please don’t be concerned with the relocation of military equipment as this is part of normal training."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-02

After 25 years here when I hear the words " rumours of a coup are baseless and or unfounded" its time to stock up on fags n beer.

Outside of the UK and its dwindling colonies, 'fag' means; a homosexual. How do you define 'stock up' ?

Fag is also a small piece of firewood... :-)

• Like 1