Electric lawn mowers pros and cons

BB1955

I am considering buying a mower, have looked at the electric ones vrs the gas . I hate fooling with petrol and storing it .... Have a rather large area about 100 sqw to mow but I dont mind spending the time cutting the grass . Any sugestions what brand and where to buy one. Or are they junk and a waste of money . I pay 800 baht everytime they cut my grass , I figuire after a few times the mower would pay for itself and I might get some needed excersise to boot ????

For my sixpence worth, unless you have a small section I wouldnt bother with an electric mower. If the grass or weeds get a bit high then the electric mower will probably struggle, which could lead to the motor burning out. I have used electric mowers before but only on small sections. You get a bit more grunt with petrol powered machines and I have never had a problem with them. Like all mowers with small mechanical motors, just ensure the oil level is ok and change it at least once a year....more often if its used often. For electric mowers I have used only Flymo, they seemed to be the better of the lot but things may have changed as it was a few years back that I last used that type..

I have a cheap electric mower and it works great if you use it regularly and don't let the grass get too long. However, I only have around 20 square meters of grass to cut. If you let the grass grow too long the electric motor will get stopped if you are not very careful which could easily lead to motor burnout.

For a larger area I think a petrol powered lawn mower is much better. Petrol powered mowers are very expensive for what they are. The much more powerful, but cruder and much more dangerous, Thai grass cutting machines seem to be cheaper than petrol powered lawn mowers.

I bought a push mower in Chiang Mai for about 3,500. It doesn't cut very short but used regularly it keeps the grass under control. I use a machete on the weeds that grow too high to be mowed. Great for exercise and it has paid for itself many times over. It is a bit flimsy and when thick twigs get caught in the blades I have to stop and pull them out manually but I don't mind.

The house I've been renting for the past year has a full frontage lawn and up the sides of the house. I bought an electric mower, identical to one I had in Australia.

It's done a great job , didn't cost too much ( ฿3000 at Home Mall). It came with about 15 m of cable, to which I added for 15m of Oz extension. Wheel height is adjustable, and I prefer to keep the grass longer as it saves the grass from burning on sunny , hot days.

At this time of the year, the lawn needs mowing every two weeks, but you can have a holiday in the dry season.

No slipped discs trying to start a fuel mower! No spark plugs. No oil.

The house I've been renting for the past year has a full frontage lawn and up the sides of the house. I bought an electric mower, identical to one I had in Australia.

It's done a great job , didn't cost too much ( ฿3000 at Home Mall). It came with about 15 m of cable, to which I added for 15m of Oz extension. Wheel height is adjustable, and I prefer to keep the grass longer as it saves the grass from burning on sunny , hot days.

At this time of the year, the lawn needs mowing every two weeks, but you can have a holiday in the dry season.

No slipped discs trying to start a fuel mower! No spark plugs. No oil.

Had 5 years out of a 4,500 b Black and Decker electric mower from Home Pro. I mow every 7-10 days, depending on weather conditions, in the rainy season.Don't mow when the grass is wet, and the clippings go into the compost heap or mulch around the trees. Weighs next to nothing and the bonus is the wife can handle it with ease. laugh.png

If your 100 sqw = 100 talang wah, go for a petrol mower. Look for a smaller one, try Montri, SE corner of Chotana intersection on superhighway. Briggs & Stratton 3.75hp will be good enough. Bought mine 10 yrs ago, still running. Little maintenance required, best to do yourself - youtube has great videos. Recently changed the carburettor gaskets. Very easy job after watching youtube smile.png Very easy to start, wifey can do it wink.png

btw my "garden" is over 2 rai, but bought the mower when we had one more your size.

My electric mower from Home Pro worked great (6,500baht) for a month. Then when stopping the thing to empty the bag it didn't like to start again. Spinning the blade got it restarted ( power cord removed prior) Took it back and they sent it to Bangkok. That was 6 weeks ago. They said at least 8 weeks to get it back. I still will stick with electric. For most yards the gas mower is overkill.

Bought a New Gas Mower and after 9 Months of use the Hoses rotted, Carb started leaking gas, Gas tank sprang a leak and now won't even attempt to start...9000 Baht in the toilet..Warranty is a Joke...Made in Germany the sticker states but China could make a Much better Mower in my opinion..

Went back to the old fashion Push mower with no wires-No gas just Push and watch the blades spin...

I tried cutting my large-ish garden with a B&D hover mower, and after 30 minutes or so on a hot day it melted. Got a wheeled B&D replacement and it works fine. Have also burned out the motor on an electric strimmer, and melted another one. And my gardens only a 400 baht a time garden. Suspect you might be better off with petrol (honda).

Bought a New Gas Mower and after 9 Months of use the Hoses rotted, Carb started leaking gas, Gas tank sprang a leak and now won't even attempt to start...9000 Baht in the toilet..Warranty is a Joke...Made in Germany the sticker states but China could make a Much better Mower in my opinion..

Went back to the old fashion Push mower with no wires-No gas just Push and watch the blades spin...

What brand was the engine? Was the "made in Germany" sticker on the engine or the chassis?