German expat rescued from 9-hour sea drift: Koh Tao

German Expat Rescued From 9-Hour Sea Drift
By Khaosod Online

ko.jpg

KOH TAO: -- German expat has been rescued after he was forced to spend 9 hours drifting in the sea off Koh Tao Island.

The 47 year old German, identified simply by officials as ′Sasha′, is believed to have fallen off the ferry boat on his way to the island, which situated near the coast of Chompon province in southern Thailand.

The ferry crew told our correspondent they saw the German smoking on the side of the boat around 02.00 on the previous night. They could not locate him once the boat reached the island, they said, so they realised that he must have fallen overboard and immediately alerted the rescue teams.

Mr. Sasha was eventually found 10 kilometres away from the shore, close to Koh Mattra and Koh Kalok islands. He said he had been swimming for around 9 hours as he waited for the help to arrive. Officials said Mr. Sasha was very exhausted but had sustained no injury.

According to his friends, Mr. Sasha is originally from Berlin and has settled in Surat Thani province for 10 years now, where he has been running his hotel business.

Mr. Sasha′s friends also told our correspondent that, fortunately, he has been a very talented swimmer.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05UZzNNVEExTlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-07

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behave you two, we'll end up with a spate of TV members throwing themselves off the ferry hoping to be rescued and meet her. rolleyes.gif

And for the non-swimmers out there, just throw yourself under a bus instead. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Nine minutes and I'd have been a dead duck. Well done to him. Roong pa yaa baan looks very photogenic smile.png

However, makes you wonder how one can fall from a ferry.

Unless it was very rough, the only way I see is by having had a few cold ones to many.

Obviously expectations on this forum are not very highbiggrin.png. Sure, she looks OK, but I am certainly not drooling over my keyboard ans she is not anywhere near someone that would make myself jump off a boat....

I take it you don't drink Chang then whistling.gif

Darn, I like Chang export. Certainly not the best beer in the world, but until Thailand gets in some seriously good beers, it will do. Given the choice I'll take an IPA, but not many places serve that.

Obviously expectations on this forum are not very highbiggrin.png. Sure, she looks OK, but I am certainly not drooling over my keyboard ans she is not anywhere near someone that would make myself jump off a boat....

I think you're a virginlaugh.png

• Like 1

Behave you two, we'll end up with a spate of TV members throwing themselves off the ferry hoping to be rescued and meet her. rolleyes.gif

And for the non-swimmers out there, just throw yourself under a bus instead. thumbsup.gif

Or off a balcony if you want to meet a real angel...

• Like 2

They could not locate him once the boat reached the island, they said, so they realised that he must have fallen overboard and immediately alerted the rescue teams.

Very sorry to disturb the main story line, which seems to be the looks of the nurse. laugh.png

I travelled dozens of times with all ferry companies arount there, and sure as hell nobody ever checks the passengers when they leave the ferry!

Don't know how to explain it but this part of the story stinks! bah.gif

They probably noticed the unclaimed baggage.

• Like 1

Dutch media confirm the speedboat story, lucky for him his phone was still working when he was in the water, he could contact his Thai business partner and a search was started, however the story states he was found by a fisherman.

About 11 or 12 years ago, we found a Thai fisherman after a storm between Samui and Phangan, when out on a dive trip with a big boat, he was in the water for even longer before we found him, clinging on to a buoy. His boat had gone down during a storm, he was the only survivor. Story made it on to Thai TV channels.

That makes more sense wai2.gif

I drifted for 7 hours once, at night,northern Queensland, crocs,sharks, stingers,made the shore and crawled one km through the scrub,to a caravan park, i was beyond exhausted and my skin didn't look so healthy,and no pretty nurse waiting..lol, 23C water temp, yet i was shaking from the cold, muscles all pulled tight, water in the lungs, went under several times but regained consciousness, the longest battle of my life so far, only thoughts of my children pulled me through and gave me strength to hold on, i begged to God for something drifting to cling onto, didn't happen, that experience changed my entire life, glad he made it.

Wow!!! That's quite the story, mate! I'm glad you made it!!!

• Like 2