ASUS Nexus 7 2

AyG

I'm thinking about buying an ASUS Nexus 7. As far as I can see only the old version is available in Thailand - not the Nexus 7 2. I'd be pretty miffed if I bought the old model, only for the new one to be released here the next day. So, does anyone know when the 7 2 is coming to Thailand?

Thanks

Assuming ASUS/TH decides to localize the N7.2, and that's not a given, maybe sometime over the next 30 - 90 days, based on the history with the N7?

And it will be marked up quite a bit here, and it has a higher MSRP than the original. Maybe cheaper to buy on the PlayStore and use a re-shipper?

Original N7's are available here at somewhat reduced prices (WiFi/16 GB: ~ 8.200, 3G/32 GB: ~ 10,900) where you can find any remaining stock.

I just had one shipped to BKK from B&H Photo Video in New York, it arrived in 4 days.

The total cost was $354.72 USD (11095 THB) for a 32GB Wi-Fi model, plus the official travel case and an official screen protector set (consists of both matte and glossy protectors). I had to pay a customs duty of approximately 900 THB on top of that COD.

Considering I paid approx. 10000 THB for the original 16GB Wi-Fi model on its own last year for a grey import from MBK, I was very pleased.

It's definitely a better route to go rather than waiting for them to get here along with the inevitable markup that will be applied.

(Not sure if I can provide links to the store as per forum policy, so just do a search for "B&H Photo Video" and you will find them. They do state "Out of Stock" on the page for the 32GB model, but I think that is just to cover them in case the stock does run low, I had no issues despite it saying that when I ordered.)

PS. It is an excellent device - miles ahead of the original. Smooth, fast and the screen quality and resolution is superb.

Edited by Glock3am

After a bit of further digging I found a newspaper report stating that the release date for the new models in Thailand was July this year. That said, IT City and Power Buy are still selling the old models and the Asus Thailand website makes no mention of the new Nexus at all.

The New Nexus 7 (N7.2) was announced on July 24, 2013. I think it might have been available (in the U.S.A.) the following week.

Asus/Thailand will have to localize the N7.2, which they may or may not choose to do. That localization process might take 30 - 90 days. I haven't seen any grey-market imports (yet) here in the usual places.

It might be cheaper, and definitely quicker, to order from the Play Store, use shipitto in Oregon (so sales tax), and have it re-shipped?

The total cost was $354.72 USD (11095 THB) for a 32GB Wi-Fi model, plus the official travel case and an official screen protector set (consists of both matte and glossy protectors). I had to pay a customs duty of approximately 900 THB on top of that COD.

That THB900 charge is remarkable. It's barely more than the expected 7% VAT, with no sign of the expected import tariff, which usually runs 30-40% of invoiced cost (including shipping). How was it shipped? USPS AIr Mail? Courier (UPS/FedEx/etc)?

That THB900 charge is remarkable. It's barely more than the expected 7% VAT, with no sign of the expected import tariff, which usually runs 30-40% of invoiced cost (including shipping). How was it shipped? USPS AIr Mail? Courier (UPS/FedEx/etc)?

7% Vat is normal for computers/tablets and notebooks. Its not a generic 30-40% on everything you import!

It was with UPS.

Suspect those are grey-market, but certainly a decent price. The N 7.2 - 16 GB/WiFi is $229, and the 32 GB WiFI version is $269, in the U.S. before any tax or shipping.

No idea.. but maybe Asus and Google have sorted themselves out this time. As you say price is right :D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

but maybe Asus and Google have sorted themselves out this time.

Could be, the N 7.2 is now on the Asus/Thailand website, along with "where to buy" info - although still not clear if that is just the old N7 list of stores, and I haven't any localized product availability in the usual places.

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/#overview

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/#wheretobuy

The MSN Telegroup price for the new Nexus, 32 GB, WiFi only, at 1,900 Baht is indeed pretty good. It's the same price as IT City is still selling the old Nexus 32 GB (but with 3G).

Shipping a 32 GB, WiFi only device from the States, by my calculation, would cost 10,500 Baht (including UPS shipping and tax) - only 400 Baht saved. Not a lot.

Both prices look great compared with the UK price of 12-15,000 Baht for the same model.

The LTE version (4G-enabled) hasn't been released yet in the States, so there's going to be a further wait for that to arrive in Thailand. (And if they are grey market imports, there may be issues because it looks as if the version in the States is going to be tethered to Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T.)

• 3 weeks later...

The LTE version (4G-enabled) hasn't been released yet in the States, so there's going to be a further wait for that to arrive in Thailand. (And if they are grey market imports, there may be issues because it looks as if the version in the States is going to be tethered to Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T.)

It has now: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4712790/new-nexus-7-with-lte-now-available-from-google-play

Looking forward to its availability physically in store in pattaya! (and its price)

I suspect it will cost between 13 to 16k bath...

By the way having such a tablet with no mobile internet connectivity is... well.... what's the point?

Going out? no internet

in the car? no internet

in the bus? no internet

in the train? no internet

enjoying near the pool? no internet

in the restaurant? no internet

at the coffee shop? no internet

sitting outside? no internet

staying at home, where you can use your full sized - much more comfortable - desktop computer, oh yes here you GOT INTERNET!!! :) :) :)

No 3G/4G on a mobile device is ridiculous! With only WIFI it's not a mobile device, its a in-house-only device!

And please, public WIFIs are so unreliable, slow, expensive, unavailable, etc.

By the way having such a tablet with no mobile internet connectivity is... well.... what's the point?

If you already have a smartphone, with a mobile data plan, then it is quite simple, easy and straight-forward to use the Mobile AP feature to create a WiFi hotspot for a WiFi-only tablet for those times when you are outside of WiFI coverage. So you just have one single SIM to manage.

Obviously, if you do not have a smartphone, or otherwise unwilling to avail yourself of this capability then you would be advised to purchase a 3G-compatible version of a tablet.

Seems simple enough? Ah the options we have.

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/

Edited by lomatopo

If you already have a smartphone, with a mobile data plan, then it is quite simple, easy and straight-forward to use the Mobile AP feature to create a WiFi hotspot for a WiFi-only tablet for those times when you are outside of WiFI coverage. So you just have one single SIM to manage.

Obviously, if you do not have a smartphone, or otherwise unwilling to avail yourself of this capability then you would be advised to purchase a 3G-compatible version of a tablet.

Seems simple enough? Ah the options we have.

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/

Ah yes didn't think about that option, good for people with a smartphone!

Personally I sold mine as I wasn't using it enough.

It has now: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4712790/new-nexus-7-with-lte-now-available-from-google-play

Looking forward to its availability physically in store in pattaya! (and its price)

Going out? no internet

in the car? no internet

in the bus? no internet

staying at home, where you can use your full sized - much more comfortable - desktop computer, oh yes here you GOT INTERNET!!! smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

No 3G/4G on a mobile device is ridiculous! With only WIFI it's not a mobile device, its a in-house-only device!

It seems you don't have a smartphone with mobile wifi hotspot feature. Why pay for 2 sims/packages while you can use your mobile internet package from your phone.

Going out? no internet

in the car? no internet

in the bus? no internet

staying at home, where you can use your full sized - much more comfortable - desktop computer, oh yes here you GOT INTERNET!!! smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

It seems you don't have a smartphone with mobile wifi hotspot feature. Why pay for 2 sims/packages while you can use your mobile internet package from your phone.

See my message above, I agree with this approach... a bit less convenient but still usable.

but maybe Asus and Google have sorted themselves out this time.

Could be, the N 7.2 is now on the Asus/Thailand website, along with "where to buy" info - although still not clear if that is just the old N7 list of stores, and I haven't any localized product availability in the usual places.

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/#overview

http://www.asus.com/th/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/#wheretobuy

Thanks for that.

This website is in Thai only...

I was able to locate this shop: "Power Buy - Tukcom Sriracha" located at 24.97 km from Pattaya:

Chonburi 90/1 ถนนสุขุมวิท ตำบลศรีราชา อำเภอศรีราชา จังหวัดชลบุรี 20110 Chonburi

089-825-1451
If anyone speaks Thai and wanna call them to confirm that they have the Nexus 7 2 3G/4G/LTE and how much they sell it... would be very appreciated wink.png
Edited by Annonymous

• 4 weeks later...

Going out? no internet

in the car? no internet

in the bus? no internet

Use your mobile as a hotspot