Our experience proves violence is not answer, Thai govt tells Egypt

webfact

Our Experience Proves Violence Is Not Answer, Thai Govt Tells Egypt

By Khaosod Online

egypt.jpg
Activists protesting the violence in Egypt, near the Egyptian Embassy in Bangkok (photo by Prachatai)

BANGKOK: -- Thailand′s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released a statement calling for the Egyptian authorities to exercise restraint and bring a halt to the ongoing violence that has claimed over 500 lives.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Surapong Tovichakchaikul said in the statement that the Thai government is deeply concerned by the heavy handed crackdown on the supporters of former President Mohammed Morsi. He called for an end to violence from all sides and a peace dialogue so that Egypt can move toward democratic transition.

"From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences," the statement said.

In 2010, Thailand saw its worst political violence in decades in which more than 90 people have been killed, after the military launched a crackdown on the protests of the Redshirts.

Officials at Ministry of Foreign Affairs said there are around 2,100 Thai nationals residing in Egypt, most of them are students living in Cairo. The Ministry said there is no immediate plan to evacuate Thai nationals from Egypt, but it has been cooperating closely with its officials in Cairo for emergency events.

Yesterday (15 August), a group of activists also rallied in front of Sorachai building in Bangkok′s Ekkamai Road, where the Egyptian Embassy is housed, to protest the police crackdown on pro-Morsi supporters, Prachatai reports.

Ms. Jittra Kongdej, a labour activist who led the protest, told Prachatai that the unrestrained violence against the protesters in Egypt is result of the military coup which deposed Mr. Morsi in July, and demanded that Egypt hold an election as fast as possible.

"Coups only lead to dictatorship," Ms. Jittra was quoted as saying.

She also said the anti-government protesters in Thailand who had been calling for ′Egypt Model′ should learn the lesson from what happened in post-coup Egypt.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM05qWXpOakF6T1E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-08-16

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dear Surapong, if I were you I would be worried about the escalating domestic violence in your own country, respective Thailand first, where headlines about murder increase immensely almost every day.

What does Thailand have to do with Egypt anyway? Did I miss something?

... Ah yes,... there was that incident once, where an aggressive female Thai representative of the Egyptian embassy was beating up a diplomat's wife because she drunk too much...

• Like 1

The Thai government never misses a chance to attempt the world stage, I believe because they are trying to become of some consequence. They should because when the AEC kicks in, Thailand will look like absolute fools and will need all the false credibility it can conjure. The problem is the world is not as ignorant as you Thailand and they can see you for what you are. Wait and see.

The ignorance of Thais is breathtaking.

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

I will say it politely:

The current Thai government is in no position to remind any other nation to uphold human rights and non-violence. First they should clean their own Augeas stables.

In blunt words:

This statement is nothing but brazen and pathetic solid bovine fertilizer.

Com'on. You can do better blunt than that.

"Our Experience Proves Violence Is Not Answer, Thai Govt Tells Egypt"

sounds good, so we'll be seeing the national conscription abolished soon followed shortly there after by the dissolution of the armed forces. wonderful. lead the way.smile.pngwai2.gif

Amazing, the government can give advice based on their experience but they canñt take advice from other countries!

When the Dutch offer advice regarding stopping the annual flooding they are told - we don´t want advice from you!

gaan-​sěe-​sɛ̂ng = hypocrisy

Edited by laislica
  • Like 2

From our own experience, the use of violence does not solve any differences," the statement said.

Is there a word for hypocrisy in Thai????

Taksin, himself has advised the government to issue this statement.

From his own experience, the use of violence does not solve any problems!!!!!!!!

I have always thought the redshirt terrorists got off lightly in 2010. In many other countries they would have got what they deserved for holding a city of 20 million people to ransom and doing their best to destroy it.

Can you imagine what would have happened if a similar group of terrorists pulled that stunt in say, Egypt, or China etc ?

Thaksin did his best to sacrifice the lot of them in order to prove how powerful he is, but it did not work.

Better luck next time...................................

I fervently hope Milkmac that there will not be a next time.

But I suspect that if PT were to lose the next election, that there would be.

It is obvious that this Govt has not learnt from the red riot experience and is not learning from what is happening in Egypt.

The red shirt thug element of the Govt is still out there harassing and threatening anyone that does or says anything against them and the Govt is using threats and intimidation in all directions while trying to exonerate their own people who caused all the trouble last time.

• Like 2