My Planned estimated monthly budget for Thailand

kscott

i just take issue with people who constantly suggest that if you live in on 30-50k a month you'll be a 'rat hole' eating only street food, no ac, cold showers, never leaving the house etc, its utter bullshit yet is repeated every time a budget thread comes up and gives people a distorted perception of the amount of money required to live here comfortably.

and I am sure if some of the well to do Thai's in BKK came to visit me, they would be of an opinion that I lived in a "rat hole" as well and I spend more than 100k/m...its all relative..

I think reason you get responses like that is because there is a constant barrage of comments from people who are living on 30-50k/m who keep bleating on that those who spend 100k, 200k, 2 million/m are somehow squandering money, they are stupid, must be spending those amounts because they are married to money grabbing BG's, are drinking too much etc and my particular favourite was that you must be spending all that money because you dont speak Thai.blink.png

as I have stated before everyone to their own...if someone is spending small amounts of money are happy with their lot...fine, but please dont start getting judgement on people who are spending more and trying to make out somehow there people are "defective"

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just take issue with people who constantly suggest that if you live in on 30-50k a month you'll be a 'rat hole' eating only street food, no ac, cold showers, never leaving the house etc, its utter bullshit yet is repeated every time a budget thread comes up and gives people a distorted perception of the amount of money required to live here comfortably.

and I am sure if some of the well to do Thai's in BKK came to visit me, they would be of an opinion that I lived in a "rat hole" as well and I spend more than 100k/m...its all relative..

I think reason you get responses like that is because there is a constant barrage of comments from people who are living on 30-50k/m who keep bleating on that those who spend 100k, 200k, 2 million/m are somehow squandering money, they are stupid, must be spending those amounts because they are married to money grabbing BG's, are drinking too much etc and my particular favourite was that you must be spending all that money because you dont speak Thai.blink.png

as I have stated before everyone to their own...if someone is spending small amounts of money are happy with their lot...fine, but please dont start getting judgement on people who are spending more and trying to make out somehow there people are "defective"

fair enough, we shall call a truce between young and old cheap charlies and spendthrifts :)

I think reason you get responses like that is because there is a constant barrage of comments from people who are living on 30-50k/m who keep bleating on that those who spend 100k, 200k, 2 million/m are somehow squandering money, they are stupid, must be spending those amounts because they are married to money grabbing BG's, are drinking too much etc and my particular favourite was that you must be spending all that money because you dont speak Thai

Just like the guys spending a fair bit of money are constantly saying you can't live in Thailand on 45k per month or whatever or if you do you'll be in a fan room eating mama noodles every day and never going out.

I ate out at a nice restaurant last night and then drank cocktails from 6pm to 3am. Spent 2500 baht. I bet I still don't spend much more than 5500B this week and I will be out at the weekend and had a date earlier in the week.

Hard life this.

I ate out at a nice restaurant last night and then drank cocktails from 6pm to 3am. Spent 2500 baht. I bet I still don't spend much more than 5500B this week and I will be out at the weekend and had a date earlier in the week.

Hard life this.

Good for you and one assumes all this money your saving is being wisely invested in decent medical insurance for the liver failure...wink.png

I think reason you get responses like that is because there is a constant barrage of comments from people who are living on 30-50k/m who keep bleating on that those who spend 100k, 200k, 2 million/m are somehow squandering money, they are stupid, must be spending those amounts because they are married to money grabbing BG's, are drinking too much etc and my particular favourite was that you must be spending all that money because you dont speak Thai

Just like the guys spending a fair bit of money are constantly saying you can't live in Thailand on 45k per month or whatever or if you do you'll be in a fan room eating mama noodles every day and never going out.

Hard life this.

you were the one saying it is difficult to spend more that 45k a month. Just think if you went out twice a week and dropped that 2500 baht. Do the math, 20,000 just for 8 nights out in a month and still have 22 more nights to go before the month is complete. I enjoy two or three or perhaps even four nights out.... Adds up quickly.

you were the one saying it is difficult to spend more that 45k a month. Just think if you went out twice a week and dropped that 2500 baht. Do the math, 20,000 just for 8 nights out in a month and still have 22 more nights to go before the month is complete. I enjoy two or three or perhaps even four nights out.... Adds up quickly.

It's unusual for me to spend that much on a night out / date. Usually around 1k. Can do that three times a week no problem and spend less than 45k. I definitely don't feel like I ever need to hold back or worry about the cost of a drink when I'm out.

Last night was an exception. We spent around 2.5k each so a much pricier night out than usual but went for a nice meal and then cocktails for about 9hrs so to be expected.

It's unusual for me to spend that much on a night out / date. Usually around 1k. Can do that three times a week no problem and spend less than 45k. I definitely don't feel like I ever need to hold back or worry about the cost of a drink when I'm out.

Last night was an exception. We spent around 2.5k each so a much pricier night out than usual but went for a nice meal and then cocktails for about 9hrs so to be expected.

Believe it or not I do understand. I am a bit of a party guy I guess and go out about 3 nights a week on average and drop that same money or more each night. If I go bar hopping to the girly bars with my mates it passes that number easy and I don't get take out, just having fun. You asked how someone can spend so much... It's so easy to do. There has been those 10,000k nights but normally that's with a takeout. Try not to do that anymore but sometimes get really pissed and shit happens..... I ask myself why did I do that..... Answer, because I can :)

As has been said multiple times by me and others in the thread that seems to be the reason why guys are saying you can't survive on 45k per month....because they enjoy the gogo bars and company of prostitutes. If you don't then you'll probably not need more than 45k per month.

Of course it's easy to blow lots more money if you want to in Thailand but the fact remains you can live well here on a very modest budget if you just avoid giving money to women (whether that be a hooker or your girlfriend / wife).

• Like 1

As has been said multiple times by me and others in the thread that seems to be the reason why guys are saying you can't survive on 45k per month....because they enjoy the gogo bars and company of prostitutes. If you don't then you'll probably not need more than 45k per month.

Of course it's easy to blow lots more money if you want to in Thailand but the fact remains you can live well here on a very modest budget if you just avoid giving money to women (whether that be a hooker or your girlfriend / wife).

I detest gogo bars and it has been years since I paid for a root yet I still average 120k per month....but then a going out for a meal for me totals a lot more than your meal and 9 hours of cocktail drinking.

Horses for courses and if your happy with your lot that's great.

• Like 1

I detest gogo bars and it has been years since I paid for a root yet I still average 120k per month....but then a going out for a meal for me totals a lot more than your meal and 9 hours of cocktail drinking.

Same same...

It seems to me this particular poster has a fixation with hookers, bragging about dates and his extended drinking sessions and quite unsure why he keeps mentioning them.

But in response to his point not needing more than 45k/m and living well on this...the definition of " living well" is relative, what you might consider living "well" might not be the same definition as someone else.

could I live on 45k/m maybe...do I want to try ?......not really...I dont lead a jet set life style, but by the same token I want for nothing either, I have basically have the same life style as I have had in other places I have lived and worked in the world

Of course it's easy to blow lots more money if you want to in Thailand but the fact remains you can live well here on a very modest budget if you just avoid giving money to women (whether that be a hooker or your girlfriend / wife). Who ever said they don't ever or have never gone out to a gogo in Thailand is either a liar or a saint. Spending all your cash there is stupid. But a night out for some laughs once in a blue moon is fun. Business guests also ask to be taken out. Spade .... Last post directed your way as your not worth any further responses. You just don't get it and never will.... Hahaha.... Some people !!!

Same same...

It seems to me this particular poster has a fixation with hookers, bragging about dates and his extended drinking sessions and quite unsure why he keeps mentioning them.

But in response to his point not needing more than 45k/m and living well on this...the definition of " living well" is relative, what you might consider living "well" might not be the same definition as someone else.

could I live on 45k/m maybe...do I want to try ?......not really...I dont lead a jet set life style, but by the same token I want for nothing either, I have basically have the same life style as I have had in other places I have lived and worked in the world

sounds like we live similar lifestyles.

I spend north of 45k per month just paying the fixed bills (rent/electric/water/cable/internet/car), I would love to live cheaper but it just is not possible.

Here's how it is. When I was 19 I earned very little money but I partied at weekend and was never short. 20 years later I earn a very good wage but still watch the pennies. Thailand can be expensive but that is a relative term. I live a modest life but still spend around 150k a month which to some may be alot but to me is frugal. My motto when in Thailand is never invest more than you can afford to lose.

Here's how it is. When I was 19 I earned very little money but I partied at weekend and was never short. 20 years later I earn a very good wage but still watch the pennies. Thailand can be expensive but that is a relative term. I live a modest life but still spend around 150k a month which to some may be alot but to me is frugal. My motto when in Thailand is never invest more than you can afford to lose.

Where do you live then to earn and spend such large amounts of money Monaco?

Can one live in Monaco on $5500 a month ?

• Like 1

sounds like we live similar lifestyles.

I spend north of 45k per month just paying the fixed bills (rent/electric/water/cable/internet/car), I would love to live cheaper but it just is not possible.

Well clearly it IS possible to spend less per month as so many are doing it.

Seems to me that you either have quite high rent and bills or more than 1 house / car?

Who ever said they don't ever or have never gone out to a gogo in Thailand is either a liar or a saint. Spending all your cash there is stupid. But a night out for some laughs once in a blue moon is fun. Business guests also ask to be taken out. Spade .... Last post directed your way as your not worth any further responses. You just don't get it and never will.... Hahaha.... Some people !!!

Yeah I've been about 5 times to Soi Cowboy. Three times with Thai women who were curious about what goes on but obviously had never been so I took them and twice with visiting friends who wanted to see the 'naughty' side of BKK.

It's not my cup of tea. Making forced small talk with women who's only interest is to get money from you. Being obliged to buy them a drink because they chose to sit next to you. Watching bored looking women 'dance' on stage. Being surrounded by annoying tourists and the dregs of society. Paying over the odds for a beer. And I've no intention of taking a girl from one of these places home with me, so what's the point?

There's no fun in it for me. Good to show someone who's never been so they can say they have but not a place to spend the night or go to frequently.

• Like 1

Well clearly it IS possible to spend less per month as so many are doing it.

Seems to me that you either have quite high rent and bills or more than 1 house / car?

Why would I rent more than 1 house and pay off more than 1 car, are you implying I have a gik that needs funding ?

My rent is actually lower than the rest of the rental houses in my mooban being that it has not risen in the past 4 years, My new neighbor in an identical house (different landlord) is paying 14k per month more.

Edited by Spoonman

Nope mate i forgot to use the sarcasm button there,but after reading about the high end farang earners in Thailand i find it hard to believe people would make such outlandisch statements about earnings and spending .

Some people on Thai visa are apparently making more money then high ranking ceo's in my country wich i find very hard to believe and if this where true then all said managers from western country's would go work in Thailand because my country has some of the highest wage costs in western europe.

But then again said high earners on Thai visa would sometimes be seen posting on other topics on how to knock of a thousand baht on an already cheap economy airplane ticket back home.

Edited by Kudel
  • Like 1

Nope mate i forgot to use the sarcasm button there,but after reading about the high end farang earners in Thailand i find it hard to believe people would make such outlandisch statements about earnings and spending .

Some people on Thai visa are apparently making more money then high ranking ceo's in my country wich i find very hard to believe and if this where true then all said managers from western country's would go work in Thailand because my country has some of the highest wage costs in western europe.

But then again said high earners on Thai visa would sometimes be seen posting on other topics on how to knock of a thousand baht on an already cheap economy airplane ticket back home.

Wow they must not have much of a high earning job if their employer aint paying for the air tickets home.

w00t.gif ....think I will book.....air tickets this morning, any one want a place to stay during the F1 ?, only THB 45k/m....and you will live well, I promise...whistling.gif

find it hard to believe people would make such outlandisch statements about earnings and spending .

Well you had better believe it...in the industry I am in Thailand some of the guys are earning very close to THB 1.0million/m net and would at a guess say averages run from THB 350k/m on the lower end to around THB 600k/m and none are CEO's

• Like 1

Kscott - i tried to PM you but your name doesnt have the link

I have some writing work going u might be interested in or if you see the job i just posted in the jobs section

Believe "Kscott" has been banned....the only writing he did appears was creative writing on TV....he was outed as a troll, and even if he was a genuine writer..I would be careful with him, he may threaten to kick your skull in...biggrin.png

find it hard to believe people would make such outlandisch statements about earnings and spending .

Well you had better believe it...in the industry I am in Thailand some of the guys are earning very close to THB 1.0million/m net and would at a guess say averages run from THB 350k/m on the lower end to around THB 600k/m and none are CEO's

i agree soutpeel,

i got welding inspector freinds on 500uk pounds a day, so thats 25,000bht ish a day,

just suits me at the moment to be in the uk for half the year to se my kids and family here,

but in another 2 years ill be doing the same, as my son in england will be 18, he can come and see me then,,lol

i agree soutpeel,

i got welding inspector freinds on 500uk pounds a day, so thats 25,000bht ish a day,

just suits me at the moment to be in the uk for half the year to se my kids and family here,

but in another 2 years ill be doing the same, as my son in england will be 18, he can come and see me then,,lol

where did these welding inspector friends tell you this the pub?I just looked up job postings for welding inspectors in the uk and the wages they offer are no where near the amounts youre talking about. Edited by Kudel

i agree soutpeel,

where did these welding inspector friends tell you this the pub?I just looked up job postings for welding inspectors in the uk and the wages they offer are no where near the amounts youre talking about.

I would have to disagree,I think pigeonjake is spot on,the rates he stated most likely reflect offshore inspection as myself a lowly welder have worked for £320 pounds a day in the North Sea alone.

Freelance QC Manager Site Rep Senior Welding Inspector Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

QC Rep QC Manager Senior welding Inspector.

Rating: Unrated (New)

Hourly Rate / Cost: £94.12 per hour (ex. VAT)

Daily Rate / Cost: £752.94 per day (ex. VAT)

Available From:

Candidate ID: 280041

£500 is pretty reasonable compared to this guy.

• Like 1