Elmore Leonard is in Heaven Now

Ulysses G.

I think any writer is a fool if he doesn't do it for money.

There needs to be some kind of incentive in addition to the project. It all goes together.

It's fun to sit there and think of characters and get them into action, then be paid for it.

I can't believe it when writers tell me 'I don't want to show my work to anybody'.

Elmore Leonard

R.I.P.

Thanks for this.

He was my hero and should have been awarded a Nobel Prize for literature in his lifetime.

He broke the mold in writing.

By co-incidence I have just been watching 'The Tall T'-Randolph Scott Movie based on Leonard's The Captives, directed by Budd Boetticher, with Randolph Scott, Richard Boone, Maureen O'Sullivan, Arthur Hunnicutt.

Martin Amiss payed him this compliment: "Elmore Leonard writes re-readable thrillers."

He was one of the late Maeve Binchy's favourite writers.

Fortunately, we are left with a treasure trove of his books to read and re-read and movies to enjoy.

He was never precious about his work and never complained about Hollywood's treatment of it, at least to my knowledge.

I saw many of his movies before I ever knew him as a writer.

"Hombre" was memorable with Newman, Boone, Frederick March.Martin Ritt directed.

Delmer Daves did a terrific job of '3.10 to Yuma.' a Leonard short story, with Glenn Ford, Van Heflin and Felicia Farr giving terrific performances.

Latterly, of course, ''Get Shorty'' made it to the big time and 'Out of Sight' was given terrific respect by Steven Soderbergh, George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez, Ving

Rhames, Steve Zahn and the late lamented Dennis Farina.

Quentin Taratino did a good job on 'Rum Punch'/'Jackie Brown', which was, I believe. Elmore's favourite screen adaptation of his work.

Hollywood producers, directors and actors owe him a huge debt of gratitude for giving them something respectable to work with.

If anybody reading this is just discovering his work and worth: enjoy. You are in for a treat.However, take his work slowly if you are reading them for the first time. He tells his stories through the characters and dialogue.

Go to his website and start reading. If you have a Kindle just search and you will find a treasure trove.

As I write this, it seems that we have had a recent blitz of RIPs who one hopes will give old Elmore a rousing welcome in Valhalla, not to mention the many directors and actors who have passed-on during Elomore's long years in front of the typewriter grinding out his masterpieces hour upon hour and day after day..

Rest in Peace Elmore, we all owe you a debt of gratitude which is best served by remembering that without the writer there would no good movies..

Great write up, but I would add that Leonard frequently complained about Hollywood's treatment of his work, particularly many years ago. Another reason to admire him.thumbsup.gif