Recommended OBGYNs?

greatgatsbee

Hi everyone,

My (Thai) partner and I have just found out that she is pregnant -- nine weeks as it turned out! -- and we recently had our first trip to see a doctor, Sankiat from Samitivej, recommended here widely). He examined her, did a pap smear as she was past due for one, an ultrasound, and the standard battery of prebirth blood tests. The bill was 11,000 baht for this. What I found surprising (though may not be) was that over 7K+ of this was taken up by the blood tests, which I thought would have been the most routine.

The doctor clearly knew his business, but I didn't appreciate his rushed manner (particularly in hindsight after getting that bill). I wrote Samitivej asking them for an estimate on how much subsequent visits might be provided there are no complications as I will be paying for all of this out of pocket. They said they couldn't provide that kind of estimate as it's all at the doctor's discretion. Not being able to budget is a concern. I was expecting today to cost about 6,000 baht based on what forum comments there were on this subject and was obviously quite off the mark.

I have therefore decided to take the results of the recent tests to a new hospital and a new doctor if Samitivej can't provide me with that estimate based on standard cases. From my hours of research looking around on the web, it seems that hospitals' reputations vary widely but that there is a general consensus on particular doctors. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you living in the Sukhumvit area (up to On Nut or even a bit beyond would be fine, even Sathorn would be OK as still accessible), can recommend a doctor at a more affordable facility with whom you've had an excellent experience? (I imagine all facilities apart from Bumungrad are more affordable than Samitivej). PMs welcome too. She was due for her next appointment in the middle of next month, so I would like to have something lined up before that.

Many thanks.

Both my girls were born at Samitivej - the baby friendly hospital. So many westerners seem to use Dr. Sankiat. Our first visit we met with him and neither my wife nor I liked him very much. We then changed to Dr. Prapee. She is a little eccentric but very personable and very professional. She is also much more down to earth than your average Thai doctor. We were aware of the over-servicing that occurrs in private Thai hospitals and so straight off told her we didn't need a monthly ultrasound and all the other bells and whistles. I think that at many of the private hospitals here there is a mentaility that basically says 'well all of this is being covered by inusrance so let's ramp it up''. That goes for the range and fequency of tests and cost of medication. The actual practitioner costs are relatively low. So back to Samitivej - to be honest we were extremely happy with the experience but we did pick and choose what services we took. A good friend however just had his baby delivered at Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom Rd. It was all good apparently and very affordable. Good Luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i gave birth to 2 kids here in Bkk, and i went to samitivej and bkk hospital, didnt like either, Samitivej turned out THE most expencive, where they couldnt estimate for me the cost of anything , not talking about birth package. Didnt like the so well told about dr Sankiat either, not my type of a doctor.

Finally my choice fell onto dr Noppadol @ Bamrungrad hospital, very nice guy, the costs were quite clear, i paid 35k for natural delivery 8 years ago, 72k for unplanned c-cection 5 years ago( we tried every other way that time messed up2 delivery rooms , tried epidural and ended up in on the op table, i was really expecting to pay 100k up, since my friend paid 120k for planned c-section in Samitivej )

Now i am expecting my third child, i am not looking around anymore, clear delivery packages, mild costs, nice place -Bamrungrad. Just to say i went a week ago for check up and blood tests -paid 2100bht ( blood cound and hiv and other std's ) my expected delivery package cost is 53k

Edited by LazyCat