Peninsula Bangkok

STEALTH K3

Thinking about booking into the Peninsula Bangkok for a few nights has anyone stayed there before

Never stayed there and probably won't - it's on the wrong side of the river and very expensive.

Unless, of course, my company make some event there and gets me in as they did with Shangri La, Sheraton on the other side of the river or at the Marriott (on the same, wrong side of the "scenic" muddy stream called Chao Praya).

For that money (or less, even significantly less) there are excellent hotels to be had, even 5* at more convenient locations.

True, I have never seen a bad report about Peninsula. It's deemed to be, along with Dusit Thani, one of the best hotels in the world.

Thinking about booking into the Peninsula Bangkok for a few nights has anyone stayed there before

I stayed there 2 years ago. I thought the rooms were extremely nice with wonderful views of the city, and the price was excellent value. The location was surprisingly convenient because of the shuttle boat to the BTS at Saphan Taksin. But the overall experience was disappointing because of the impersonal and sometimes indifferent service. I felt like I was staying at the Hyatt or some other mass market hotel.

I did go back a few months ago to have dinner at their excellent Thai restaurant, and I thought the service had improved. All the staff was very welcoming, even though we weren't guests at the hotel. So maybe management has been addressing some of the shortcomings I noticed during my stay.

These days I would book a really nice room at the Majestic Grande for about half the price of the Peninsula, and be just as happy.