PM Yingluck dismisses economic recession, saying growth only missing target

webfact

saying other countries in the region are having the same economic problems as Thailand.

She's just been to Kazakhstan and Pakistan (or wherever) so she knows all about other countries in the region.

Rumour has it PM Yingluck has been asked to refrain from defaming other countries in the region. Must be a misunderstanding, but some countries think they're really better than Thailand. Imagine rolleyes.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly for all of you, she is the most popular PM for years and possibly the least destructive.

Her party also wins elections and has a mandate.

The country is far better in the last two years than it was in the previous six.

Yes,love, you're absolutely right. Mind you, you might need to explain a wee bit what you mean with

- less destructive ?

- 'her' party", don't you mean her brother's party?

- 'mandate' as in can do what she wants, or what his party wants? Mandatory 'amnesty' and 'reconciliation'?

The country remains the same, but literally hundred of billions of Baht have disappeared without improving the country or it's people.

BTW at least one great improvement which you might grant the current government or it's ruling party Pheu Thai to have achieved, is the lack of red-shirt protests, violence, grenade lobbing and the like. Well done, with a special applaus for the Pheu Thai party list MP's and UDD leaders who called off their pack of dogs of war. Amazing how quiet when no one cries 'havoc' wink.png

Rudi, it's bait.

The trick is not to rise to it............

Er...i think what she meant was that 'she' has had too many holidays lately and therefore the economy has gone downhill owing to her absence !!

what she means is, she isn't having any problems when spending money so there is no recession.

Thailand is on the brink of Major recession and its all because of economic policies and some failed major projects being initiated by PM and her team. Unfortunately there are some unforeseen events that I predict in the future can make the situation more problematic rather worse for Thailand.

Edited by metisdead
Font

Sadly for all of you, she is the most popular PM for years and possibly the least destructive.

The country is far better in the last two years than it was in the previous six.

Yes,love, you're absolutely right. Mind you, you might need to explain a wee bit what you mean with

- less destructive ?

- 'her' party", don't you mean her brother's party?

- 'mandate' as in can do what she wants, or what his party wants? Mandatory 'amnesty' and 'reconciliation'?

The country remains the same, but literally hundred of billions of Baht have disappeared without improving the country or it's people.

BTW at least one great improvement which you might grant the current government or it's ruling party Pheu Thai to have achieved, is the lack of red-shirt protests, violence, grenade lobbing and the like. Well done, with a special applaus for the Pheu Thai party list MP's and UDD leaders who called off their pack of dogs of war. Amazing how quiet when no one cries '

mind you, you might need to drink the Kool-Aid.

Edited by mamypoko

I think she is cute.

So is my youngest cat but I wouldn't want her running the country. smile.png

Hold on a minute .......... I'm not sure I've really thought that one through!

My dog "Cokkie" is cute and I bet you it can run Thailand better than Yingluck can.

post-94947-0-28949000-1377286454_thumb.j

Mandate? 4 Seasons?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thaksinomics

"Thailand experienced a record-high current-account deficit in April of $3.361 billion, according to the BOT..... Methee Supapong, director of the central bank's Domestic Economy Department, said ..... It is the highest current-account deficit since BOT started collecting economic data in 1995." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Record-current-account-deficit-30207352.html

But it would have been worse if not for debt.......

The capital account recorded a surplus of $4.166 billion from short-term borrowings by financial institutions to manage liquidity in the forex swap market and non-resident portfolio inflows. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Record-current-account-deficit-30207352.html

The good news keeps coming......

"Thailand this week delivered truly shocking GDP and current account numbers for its second quarter. The answer to whether Thailand has just suffered a temporary blip will not be known for several months at least which is bad news for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. Her government faces declining popularity but wants to push through an amnesty for political activists of all colors but which is widely seen as a wedge to enable the return of her brother, Thaksin." http://asiancorrespondent.com/112271/thailand-economy/

Thailand’s baht headed for a fourth monthly drop, the longest losing streak since 2008, on concern an economic slowdown in China will hurt the Southeast Asian nation’s exports. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-31/thailand-s-baht-bonds-fall-in-month-on-growth-risk-fed-outlook.html

How Thailand’s Botched Rice Scheme Blew a Big Hole in its Economy....

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/#ixzz2cpxJk4IW

and more debt......

In Thailand, robust private credit growth of over 12% on-year in recent months and high household debt add to reasons not to cut rates. The bank last cut its key policy rate in May. http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/08/19/thailand-gdp-highlights-policy-dilemma/

But there is good news..........

The tourism sector grew robustly, with 2.1 million foreign tourist arrivals or an expansion of 21.6 per cent year on year, with a growth in the number of tourists from almost all regions, notably China and Russia.

Edited by waza

Mandate? 4 Seasons?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When the line is drawn it will be a peaceful conclusion as holding the title of PM

However, when KT returns, things might become a little more destructive. But of course, any detrimental consequences of 'her' actions cannot be attributed to her government.

Must be great to always be right.

Hang on, that sums up my Thai wife!

It's missing target and has reduced for two successive quarters.

That's a recession right?

Unless it happens under a Thaksin-directed government, when it's a sign of genius, and shows that he ought to be allowed to come home & take the reigns again forthwith.

Perhaps the DSI might be directed to look into the problem, to discover how the Dems or former-PM Abhisit are responsible, and what they can be charged with ?

One can certainly look forward to this year's annual-report, listing achievements of the government, should make for hilarious reading ! laugh.png

Perhaps it might include :-

- "we weakened the Baht, helping the tourist-industry"

- "we made rice-exports cheaper, to help sell the rice-stocks"

- "we demonstrated the need, for even-more overseas-trips by the PM/FM, to promote goodwill & exports"

- "we made everyone more-equal, by reducing what they're worth, across-the-board"

- "we gave the media something interesting to report"

• Like 1

Unless it happens under a Thaksin-directed government, when it's a sign of genius, and shows that he ought to be allowed to come home & take the reigns again forthwith.

Perhaps the DSI might be directed to look into the problem, to discover how the Dems or former-PM Abhisit are responsible, and what they can be charged with ?

One can certainly look forward to this year's annual-report, listing achievements of the government, should make for hilarious reading ! laugh.png

- "we demonstrated the need, for even-more overseas-trips by the PM/FM, to promote goodwill & exports"

- "we made everyone more-equal, by reducing what they're worth, across-the-board"

To somchai on the street, he won't give a damn unless companies start folding. However, the international community would like to feel that the pm at least understand the definition of recession.

This is like a kid explaining a report card of D,E and F.

I didn't fail, I just missed my target. Of course in Thailand no one fails....

No recession. No No No You mai khow jai. We just missed a couple of targets - on the low side.

Reminds me of the <deleted> who promised no more floods and when the nam was over a metre deep said "This isn't a flood. It's only excess rain water."

A rose by any other name ...........................

Would you like to provide us with some actual facts to support the assertive comments based on your own opinion?

Your last sentence will be very interesting to substantiate. Look forward to seeing all these illuminating facts........................

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Thaksinomics

"Thailand experienced a record-high current-account deficit in April of $3.361 billion, according to the BOT..... Methee Supapong, director of the central bank's Domestic Economy Department, said ..... It is the highest current-account deficit since BOT started collecting economic data in 1995." http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Record-current-account-deficit-30207352.html

The capital account recorded a surplus of $4.166 billion from short-term borrowings by financial institutions to manage liquidity in the forex swap market and non-resident portfolio inflows. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Record-current-account-deficit-30207352.html

"Thailand this week delivered truly shocking GDP and current account numbers for its second quarter. The answer to whether Thailand has just suffered a temporary blip will not be known for several months at least which is bad news for Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. Her government faces declining popularity but wants to push through an amnesty for political activists of all colors but which is widely seen as a wedge to enable the return of her brother, Thaksin." http://asiancorrespondent.com/112271/thailand-economy/

Thailand’s baht headed for a fourth monthly drop, the longest losing streak since 2008, on concern an economic slowdown in China will hurt the Southeast Asian nation’s exports. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-31/thailand-s-baht-bonds-fall-in-month-on-growth-risk-fed-outlook.html

How Thailand’s Botched Rice Scheme Blew a Big Hole in its Economy....

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/#ixzz2cpxJk4IW

and more debt......

In Thailand, robust private credit growth of over 12% on-year in recent months and high household debt add to reasons not to cut rates. The bank last cut its key policy rate in May. http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/08/19/thailand-gdp-highlights-policy-dilemma/

The tourism sector grew robustly, with 2.1 million foreign tourist arrivals or an expansion of 21.6 per cent year on year, with a growth in the number of tourists from almost all regions, notably China and Russia.

Thanks Waza - interesting links. I guess being an economic genius is easy if you are the monopoly supplier or can change the rules of the game at will. Unfortunately it ain't so easy in the real world!

Thaksinomics

Thailands baht headed for a fourth monthly drop, the longest losing streak since 2008, on concern an economic slowdown in China will hurt the Southeast Asian nations exports. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-31/thailand-s-baht-bonds-fall-in-month-on-growth-risk-fed-outlook.html

How Thailands Botched Rice Scheme Blew a Big Hole in its Economy....

and more debt......

Thanks Waza - interesting links. I guess being an economic genius is easy if you are the monopoly supplier or can change the rules of the game at will. Unfortunately it ain't so easy in the real world!

It works for dozens of companies in Thailand. Limit competition and charge what you like.

Worked for Thai airways, AIS and others for years. Just look what happens when AirAsia pops into your patch. Whammo. Thailand doesn't do competition very well.

I'm sad, sad,sad. I'm crying for the people I love so much. I'm frustrated by those same people still believing in T.

This is a beautiful country run down by selfish bastards.

I cry for my wife who is brainwashed. She has more brain than I do but it is wasted.

I cannot have a "grown up" argument with a T supporter because I'm always wrong, "what do know" ?

How can I believe in Yingluck who's always on the run?

This "Amazing Thailand" digged it's own grave and the 1979 recession will come again. Good for me at the exchange rate, good for Thailand too. Maybe the western tourist(who actually spend money) will return.

I am lucky having a wife that hates T and Y and understands what they are doing to this beautiful country abd its people.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Skywalker69

Well, in the last 2 years, Yingluck hasn't actually done anything.

In the six years before that, there were some fraudulent elections, a coup, an election leading to a coalition government, an airport blockade, a new coalition government, riots where apparently 100's were killed (but no bodies were found), and finally riots where nearly a hundred were killed and many buildings were burnt down.

If Yingluck continues doing nothing, the country will be SO much better than it was before. It doesn't appear that she will continue doing nothing, so we'll check this time next year to see where things stand.

• Like 1

Well, in the last 2 years, Yingluck hasn't actually done anything.

In the six years before that, there were some fraudulent elections, a coup, an election leading to a coalition government, an airport blockade, a new coalition government, riots where apparently 100's were killed (but no bodies were found), and finally riots where nearly a hundred were killed and many buildings were burnt down.

If Yingluck continues doing nothing, the country will be SO much better than it was before. It doesn't appear that she will continue doing nothing, so we'll check this time next year to see where things stand.

That's a little harsh. Be fair. She has made lots and lots of trips. Made some "entertaining" if sometimes nonsensical comments and speeches, taken on the important additional role of Defense Minister, threatened to sue various people, supported the suppression of free speech, presided over and supported poor policies and come up with the idea of an amazing new reality tv show, with a prize to go shopping with her on one of her trips.

And all this without any previous experience or even being a politician.

Easy to see why philw thinks the last 2 years of her government were better than the previous six. They never suggested one single new reality tv show between them, attended parliament and chaired committee meetings.

One can certainly look forward to this year's annual-report, listing achievements of the government, should make for hilarious reading ! Posted Image

I suppose there can always be a good side to everything - given the right spin!