Is there more sand on the streets of Chiang Mai-----

paulchiangmai

Is there more sand on the streets of Chiang Mai than on the beaches of Pataya and Phuket combined? Well, it must be a close run thing. It used to be you would see a truck load of sweepers pouring on to the streets everyday busily sweeping away, those days seem to have gone, now you see a truck load of people pouring out on to the centre strips and wipper snipping away and cutting the quadzillion shrubs that adorn Chiang Mai streets. Most left hand lanes in this city are more slippery than the streets of an American mid western city in the middle of winter. Having lived a long time in Iowa I know just what that is like. Upon reflection it is safer on a mid western street in the middle of winter as at least they attempt to do something about it. Where is the McDonald [street sweeper not fast food] rep when you want him. Shame on those responsible for the state of the roads, sand wise, here in Chiang Mai. But then they probably run around on something other than a motor cycle.

One thing that seems to be lacking these days.....Tourists.

Seems Chiang Mai has fallen off the list of places to visit. There was a time when you could hardly move along the so-called Footpaths around the Night Bazaar but we were in the area last week on a couple of nights and the place was almost empty. Anyone else notice this?

• Like 1

I think there are less Westerners but more Chinese/Korean and a sprinkling of Japs.

Maybe,we have less Westerners because they all fall from balconies.

All the westerns are falling from balconies? What are you on about and what does that have to do with sand on the road? I googled "correlation between westerners falling from balcony and sand on the road" and didn't get any conclusive answers. Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 2

One thing that seems to be lacking these days.....Tourists.

Seems Chiang Mai has fallen off the list of places to visit. There was a time when you could hardly move along the so-called Footpaths around the Night Bazaar but we were in the area last week on a couple of nights and the place was almost empty. Anyone else notice this?

That's silly. The prace is crawling with tourists, and that for August.. not normally a very busy month. It's amazing. If there are fewer people at the Night Bazar (in favor of better markets like the Sunday Walking Street) then GOOD! It was already a sad rip-off in the early 1990's.

• Like 2

I disagree with there being more tourists than previous years. There are not, only for those accepting the TOT incoming arrival figures and reporting that BS.

They probably include any and all refugees as tourist arrivals.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

As far as lack of tourists is concerned it is the wet, low season. As far as gravel and sand on Thai roads is concerned I can't respond because I'm not there right now, but it has always been something to be aware of when riding a motorbike on Thai roads. Warning signs are NEVER place before a potential hazard. They are only placed right at the hazard. By that time it is too late if you are moving quickly..

I disagree with there being more tourists than previous years. There are not, only for those accepting the TOT incoming arrival figures and reporting that BS.

They probably include any and all refugees as tourist arrivals.

Maybe they don't come to your place since the new tourists are the Chinese!

Do something with this information, try to market yourself at the Chinese market and you will doubt the TAT figures less!

Goodluck.

The big hotels are FULL!

• Like 2

You only tend to count elderly white folks who manage to find your place. I would agree that particular demographic is down. Everyone else is moving on, though. Just drive through town at any town (old city especially) and it's incredibly how many tourists there are.

Welcome to Thaivisa. smile.png

I think you will find WTK that I have been a member for about two years longer than you, if I can twist every subject to something completely different then my post count would probably be up there with yours.

Look, your topic was hi-jacked with the very first reply, which was also a silly statement that needed an opposing view.

I don't have an opinion on sand, other than really close to construction sites and in the immediate aftermath of heavy downpoors where there is run-off from non-paved areas.

The town does a great job keeping the place clean. In fact they regularly come in first in comparisons with other provinces when it comes to cleanliness and solid waste collection.

It's still Thailand though and the tropics, and there is sand and dust around, yes. It's not Zurich.

• Like 1

You only tend to count elderly white folks who manage to find your place. I would agree that particular demographic is down. Everyone else is moving on, though. Just drive through town at any town (old city especially) and it's incredibly how many tourists there are.

People tend to forget there are just so many more options where to stay ,eat ,markets, drink coffee etc than there were a few years back. The city has exploded and is going through an unprecedented building boom, little wonder some locations appear quiet. Anyone going into a new business here is either very brave or naive.

Look, your topic was hi-jacked with the very first reply, which was also a silly statement that needed an opposing view.

I don't have an opinion on sand, other than really close to construction sites and in the immediate aftermath of heavy downpoors where there is run-off from non-paved areas.

The town does a great job keeping the place clean. In fact they regularly come in first in comparisons with other provinces when it comes to cleanliness and solid waste collection.

It's still Thailand though and the tropics, and there is sand and dust around, yes. It's not Zurich.

"I don't have an opinion on sand" then don't comment at all, thats what the subject was about. "The town does a great job keeping the place clean" I just wonder if you can find a single person in Chiang Mai to agree with you. I do not like knocking Chiang Mai or Thailand but and in fact wear rose coloured glasses, however facts are facts.

• Like 1

To make your feelings less hurt and answer you directly :

Q "Is there more sand on the streets of Chiang Mai than on the beaches of Pataya and Phuket combined?

a. No , don't be silly

" Well, it must be a close run thing "

How can you expect serious and pointed response to such ludicrous , far out questions/statements

I don't expect a serious response but I also don't expect people such as you immediately getting onto another subject. Me- What's the weather like- You and WTK it's five past four.

Sorry but I disagree with the tourist estimates, there are shed loads of them around except they're mostly Asian/Chinese, take a walk around the night bazzar any night. Also, Mrs CM works for an upmarket six star and reports almost nightly of Chinese tourists spending 100k in the shop, it's very common.

I will say I notice street sweepers less than before.

Maybe that is why more sand/dust is noticed.

Or maybe the rainy season just brought it in from the sides?

But it has been super dusty at times when the traffic is up.

I am just getting over an upper respiratory infection I thought was a cold as I never had one before

& I thought it may be due to that dust.

I am mainly on motorbikes so have noticed it lately.

Although I can't say I have noticed it being more slippery

as I never ride on the far left. But during high traffic time I see & feel

that dust in the air.

Edited by mania

I think you will find WTK that I have been a member for about two years longer than you, if I can twist every subject to something completely different then my post count would probably be up there with yours.

Maybe you have been here so long that you forget what The streets were like in mid winter Iowa.

• Like 1

Maybe you have been here so long that you forget what The streets were like in mid winter Iowa.

15 years hellodolly, love it but still love Iowa.

On Highway 121 in particular there are quite a few stretches where trucks have been hauling soil and sand either into a site for fill or out to fill elsewhere. And naturally they carry sand and soil on their tires onto the highway. Although occasionally there's an effort to sweep up, more often than not nothing is done. Someone has to pay the sweepers, and the trucking companies seem to be the obvious one; whoever is responsible doesn't take it seriously, however.

If at all possible, just stay off the sand with the motorcycle. It's dangerous out there.

On Highway 121 in particular there are quite a few stretches where trucks have been hauling soil and sand either into a site for fill or out to fill elsewhere. And naturally they carry sand and soil on their tires onto the highway. Although occasionally there's an effort to sweep up, more often than not nothing is done. Someone has to pay the sweepers, and the trucking companies seem to be the obvious one; whoever is responsible doesn't take it seriously, however.

If at all possible, just stay off the sand with the motorcycle. It's dangerous out there.

Very true MrBrad, I travel 80 clics each school day on my m/cycle so perhaps I notice it more than most.

• Like 1

Howdy Paul.

I've been here a good 10 yrs or so, and I don't really notice any difference. In my recollection, it was that they always let the dirt and mud wash out into the streets all rainy season long, since any they scrape or wash away is just going to be replaced with new stuff. I remember there comes a time - rather unpredictably - every dry season where the brigades are out en masse to clean the streets and get them clean and presentable. It usually takes a few days for them to hit all places around town. I have a feeling it always happens right before Loy Kratong and Sonagkran every year, as these are both dry season times and coincide with the city wanting to show its best side to the public.

I'm actually of the same philosophy with making the bed: It's just going to get messed up again, so why bother ?

Anyway, interesting thought/observation, PaulCM. You really recall them out in the rainy season to clean up? Let's all keep our eyes peeled and see what happens this year.

Howdy Paul.

I've been here a good 10 yrs or so, and I don't really notice any difference. In my recollection, it was that they always let the dirt and mud wash out into the streets all rainy season long, since any they scrape or wash away is just going to be replaced with new stuff. I remember there comes a time - rather unpredictably - every dry season where the brigades are out en masse to clean the streets and get them clean and presentable. It usually takes a few days for them to hit all places around town. I have a feeling it always happens right before Loy Kratong and Sonagkran every year, as these are both dry season times and coincide with the city wanting to show its best side to the public.

I'm actually of the same philosophy with making the bed: It's just going to get messed up again, so why bother ?

Anyway, interesting thought/observation, PaulCM. You really recall them out in the rainy season to clean up? Let's all keep our eyes peeled and see what happens this year.

You may well be right realthaideal, perhaps I notice it more now as this year I drive 20 clics taking my daughter to school and then 20 clics home again only to turn around and do it all again later in the day. Thanks to you and some others for sensible replies.