Rent reduction in case of water leak

I'm staying at a rented (by myself) condo in Bangkok.

Water has started to leak in to the bathroom from the shower of upstairs condo so using my bathroom is quite uncomfortable becuase the whole roof is dripping...

Am i entitled to reduction of rent by thai law?

BTW. Property developer is Ananda and building about 2 years old.

Hmmm interesting thread live in a dry apartment or save some money and live in a damp hot cave, with the added attraction of possible electrocution.

I'll have to consider the options facepalm.gif

I don't see how you'd get electrocuted by a leak like this. I've had similar leaks in the UK. The answer is to fix the leak. It sounds like the OP wants the leak to continue so that he can get a rent reduction. Phone the landlord and fix the leak. Read your rental agreement. No country is going to waste a time enacting a law about water leaks in rental properties. In any case, the leak is from the property above you, so not your landlord's fault. Why you don't ask for it to be fixed instead of trying to get your rent reduced is baffling to me.

We also had a similar leak in our Bangkok condo. We reported it to the juristic person. They then investigated it and arranged for it to be fixed. Took about 2 minutes of my time. And I didn't even have to asked what to do on thai visa.

I sometimes cringe at some of the question on here, and how many expats can't do the simplest of things. Why do they have to complicated everything?

Property developer or age of property is irrelevant. A water leak can happen in both new and old properties. That's life.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 2

We also had a similar leak in our Bangkok condo. We reported it to the juristic person. They then investigated it and arranged for it to be fixed. Took about 2 minutes of my time. And I didn't even have to asked what to do on thai visa.

I sometimes cringe at some of the question on here, and how many expats can't do the simplest of things. Why do they have to complicated everything?

Property developer or age of property is irrelevant. A water leak can happen in both new and old properties. That's life.

Glad I'm not the only one that cringes. Darwin's theory is obviously not 100% accurate.

I'm waiting for the "got a flat tyre, what do I do now" post. coffee1.gif

Glad I'm not the only one that cringes. Darwin's theory is obviously not 100% accurate.

Well that one's easy. You create a new topic on Thai Visa asking if Thai law allows you to get a discount from the place you bought the car, as it now has a flat tyre. No need to repair it, just make sure you get a discount. If not possible, then dump car and buy a new one. After all, why should you put up with a flat tyre. There are plenty of cars without flat tyres, so it's easier to get one of those.

• Like 1

Had a knock on the door and it was condo maintenance come to fix my bathroom. mmmm youve got the wrong room as nothing wrong here I said. It turned out it was me leaking and the person below getting wet. They resealed bath. No big deal op

Well that one's easy. You create a new topic on Thai Visa asking if Thai law allows you to get a discount from the place you bought the car, as it now has a flat tyre. No need to repair it, just make sure you get a discount. If not possible, then dump car and buy a new one. After all, why should you put up with a flat tyre. There are plenty of cars without flat tyres, so it's easier to get one of those.

You propose the hypothesis very well. Now I'm worried that a post such as the one you described actually exists......please don't tell me it was a cut and paste from an actual TV post!! blink.png

• Like 1

We also had a similar leak in our Bangkok condo. We reported it to the juristic person. They then investigated it and arranged for it to be fixed. Took about 2 minutes of my time.

Precisely. I had an identical experience in Jomtien.

A leak coming from the condo above should not concern either your landlord or your insurance company. The building management should get the leak fixed and your ceiling repaired promptly and the owner of the upstairs condo (or his insurer) should foot the entire bill. Very simple.

Of course if the upstairs owner doesn't want to pay then you may need recourse to your insurance, courts etc

If you feel "tyred"; solution, lie down and have a sleep!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .

Right, or charge you for casuing the leak or even perhaps for not informing on time and then having to pay for resultant damages. lol

That's not such an outrageous idea. If the entire ceiling comes tumbling down and/or a flood cascades through his unit to the one below his, when that whole debacle could have been avoided by a simple call for repair when a small drip started ... the landlord might be a bit annoyed and charge the tenant for not responsibly handling the situation.

In my condo, condo management does not get involved with such internal leaks between condos. It all has to be worked out between the owners of the units. They may help with communication but never in any kind of repair effort. If it was a large leak they might even shut the water of the offending condo owner wasn't helping though. If there is disagreement about who should pay what, the advice is: see a lawyer. Yes generally of course the source owner of the leak is legally responsible. I had thought that was typical. If the leak was related to something OUTSIDE the units, then they would get involved.

Anyway, yes, complain to the landlord! If no action, keep complaining!

Edited by Jingthing