Exporting a motor vehicle from Thailand

BuriramRes

I am planning to export my Fortuner to Australia in the near future. I own it outright personally, no encomberances.

It is easy for me to arrange the transport & the import at the Australian end (have imported a motorcycle previously having sent it from the UK).

I can arrange for a roll on/roll off shipping service OK through a broker in Australia however I am not sure what needs to happen from the Thai end.

Thought at first I simply need to get a vehicle passport from Department of Transport, but it seems that is simply for a temporary exit.

Has anyone out there done this?

Your guidance would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

You must get a permit from Australia BEFORE entry.

You may have to drain your airconditioner and have a certificate BEFORE entry if it has certain refrigerants and if you do not the car will need to be exported after a huge fine at your cost.

You may have to fit a heater and demister if the Fortuna does not have one. Local Vigos do not have one.

You must have owned and continually used the vehicle for 12 months....ie been in the country with it all that time and have maintenance records etc. I understand they will accept a maximum of 30 days that you are not in the country with the vehicle.

Motorcyles are much easier. especially from the UK

Edited by harrry

"You may have to drain your airconditioner and have a certificate BEFORE entry if it has certain refrigerants and if you do not the car will need to be exported after a huge fine at your cost."

Applies to everything with reefer gas. I know you have to pay now (when landed) for it's ultimate disposal when the vehicle is retired. The cost isn't to great. Basically it's just more BS from the previous Australian government...that are now in opposition.

This lot should keep you busy.

http://www.raws.com.au/ImportSchemes.asp

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/files/Importing_Vehicles_to_Australia_Brochure_20130513.pdf

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.htmlImport scenario What you need to do

1. I am moving to Australia from overseas and I want to import my vehicle and/or a domestic fridge/freezer for private or domestic use.

You may not need to apply for an ODS/SGG equipment licence (EQPL) if the equipment is kept by you or a member of your household, and

• The equipment was owned for 12 months* wholly or principally for private or domestic use in the country of export, and will also be used wholly or principally for private or domestic use in Australia.

You must supply documentary evidence (see below) to demonstrate this. Equipment that was owned for less than 12 months will be subject to the licence requirements under the Act.

*Medical equipment does not need to be owned and used by you for 12 months or more prior to importing into Australia.

ODS/SGG equipment on board or incorporated into other equipment (such as air-conditioning equipment contained in motor vehicle or motor home, caravan or camper trailer, watercraft or aircraft) may also be eligible for exemption.

Documentary evidence includes:

1. Copy of vehicle registration papers or a copy of the purchase invoice must be supplied;
  2. Export Bill of Lading listing household and personal items that you are importing into Australia.
  3. Documentary evidence may also include;
    • A statutory declaration to the effect that the equipment was used wholly or principally for private or domestic use before importation, and is imported wholly or principally for private or domestic use.

If you have been notified by us that you need to supply documentary evidence, you will need to do so within 30 days of receiving that notice. If the department is satisfied with the documentary evidence supplied, it will approve the release of the equipment without the need for an ODS/SGG equipment licence (EQPL), subject to Customs usual requirements being met.

Failure to supply documentary evidence will trigger the licence requirements under the Act.

Note: if you are importing a vehicle that was manufactured prior to 1996 with your personal effects, and the vehicle's air conditioning system is designed to operate on CFCs, the vehicle's air conditioning system must comply with the requirements specified under Import Scenario 7.

I would use a forwarder from the receiving end. Getting anything out is usually easy, getting it in is where you may have problems.

Will getting it legal and registered in Australia be an issue?

No, not really. You do have to get forward approval before importing it, and only can do one private import/year. (cost of $50.00)

The hardest thing is to get the customs to agree on a "present value" which is used to calculate GST.

The Australian forwarder is not interested in arranging anything in Thailand and I do not blame them. They will deal with it as soon as it is on the ship.