Rise in Phuket metered taxi fares to thwart cab cheats

webfact

Good idea. It might pull others in to start using metres. Rough calculations. At these rates I could get from Kata beach to Central festival for 220 baht excluding flag fare? Unsure now this will work. That's too cheap.

"That's too cheap." - the same length journey in Pattaya is 10 to 20 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

You are getting screwed at those prices. Come to Pattaya and you will find out. Go to Bangkok and you will find out. Does not cost more for cars or liquid gas in Phuket. Just being scammed.

Not sure who you are quoting, me, or Hans?

I simply stated that 220 baht for the journey Hans described as "too cheap" would be 10 or 20 baht in Pattaya.

"That's too cheap." - the same length journey in Pattaya is 10 to 20 baht. smile.pngsmile.png

Slightly disingenuous of you NKM.

You fail to say that the ten, or twenty Baht is on buses that do a circuit. Not the same as a point A to point B destination.......even in Pattaya.

You fail to say that the ten, or twenty Baht is on buses that do a circuit. Not the same as a point A to point B destination.......even in Pattaya.

I think the point being made is that if Phuket had buses doing a circuit, then the cost could be as low as Pattaya.

Since you can get on and off the bus at any point on the circuit, it effectively becomes a point A to point B journey, so long as point A and point B, are on the circuit. It's easy to see how a circuit in Patong/Kata/karon could account for 90% of journeys. Each have beach roads and inner roads. Not so easy for Cape Panwa. Even Rawai/Nai Harn could be a circuit.

TBH, I don't think the transport system in Phuket can be defended. Public transport is simply non existent. Hence the taxi/tuk tuk situation and, the traffic chaos caused by too many private cars. How else can anyone get around, safely. That last word to discourage the suggestion of using motorbikes.

The pattaya baht buses operate in intersecting "loops." So, there is no "A to B" - A just always come back around to A. However, you can chose to disembark at any stage of that loop, wihich alows you to jump on another baht bus that is running a different "loop."

One loop in Pattaya goes a long way, and it you get onto a second loop, even further. Each "hop-on" is only 10 baht.

Phuket needs a similar system running between the beaches, or, proper metered taxis. After all, this is a "world class tourist destination" isn't it???? laugh.png

The pattaya baht buses operate in intersecting "loops." So, there is no "A to B" - A just always come back around to A. However, you can chose to disembark at any stage of that loop, wihich alows you to jump on another baht bus that is running a different "loop."

One loop in Pattaya goes a long way, and it you get onto a second loop, even further. Each "hop-on" is only 10 baht.

Phuket needs a similar system running between the beaches, or, proper metered taxis. After all, this is a "world class tourist destination" isn't it???? laugh.png

A world class destination with transportation in the back of a pickup. I guess this is as classy as Thailand gets.

• Like 2

A world class destination with transportation in the back of a pickup. I guess this is as classy as Thailand gets.

Sorry, but nothing "world class" about Phuket at all IMO..Ziltch!

However i was talking about a point A to B in Chiang mai being 50 baht in a songteaw or tuk tuk.

On arriving at from BKK last week, I did my usual of turning right to hire one of the cabs who'll take you for 200/300 baht less than the 'limousines' to find a long queue of 'meter taxis' outside the booth. The girl stated 100 upfront and a flat rate of 800 - same as the limos then blink.png Chum opted for limo. At least they're upfront re their ripping you off.