Stop wasting time on the Net, Thai youth told

webfact

The great hope of "the masters" is that the masses DO NOT learn a/b other countries, true democracy or how to think critically. That will NEVER be encouraged. Shut down the web now and only show tv shows that have hysterical woman, reserved men, and police in crisp uniforms. LOL

Well the hysterical woman will have to have a gun. When the wife watches that stuff I feel so good about the fact I can't understand Thai. Good reason not to learn.

On the other hand when she watches the Thai news I wish I could understand it. Kind of compare notes on the same item from a Thai view point to one from the English view point.

I agree it makes no difference who is in power education is on the bottom of the list of priorities.sad.png

Sweep? You had a broom? Luxury! We had to pick up all the lint on our plane with our fingers.. every night before we were given our gruel.

Back to the topic, I do wonder if the real threat is exposure to the outside world of knowledge and opinion.

Did your plane have an entertainment system in the back of the seats? ;)

You are right about knowledge though, it scares the hell out of some here, especially those in control.

Yes, do like your parents do: watch endless hours of cheesy brainless soap operas every night. At least with social media they are interacting in some form.

My father in law made a comment about me always being on my iPad...I showed him that this is how I keep up on my news, stay in touch with friends, watch shows that I want to watch, read books, learn languages (Duolingo anyone?), play silly as well as thinking games, compose and record music, work, etc. That made him dizzy so he turned back around and with the rest of the family stared at the TV for the next three hours.

My real parents in the States aren't much better. They'll watch the evening news from 5-7 every night, hearing the same 10 stories 4-5 times each.

I won't bother you and your TV, so please don't bother me about my fun learning entertainment tool.

At least they are interacting with another human being.

Social skills you will never learn in cyber world.

How many people in the privacy of their own home sit down at a computer and immediately grow to be seven feet tall and invincible.

..with big balls!!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, do like your parents do: watch endless hours of cheesy brainless soap operas every night. At least with social media they are interacting in some form.

My father in law made a comment about me always being on my iPad...I showed him that this is how I keep up on my news, stay in touch with friends, watch shows that I want to watch, read books, learn languages (Duolingo anyone?), play silly as well as thinking games, compose and record music, work, etc. That made him dizzy so he turned back around and with the rest of the family stared at the TV for the next three hours.

My real parents in the States aren't much better. They'll watch the evening news from 5-7 every night, hearing the same 10 stories 4-5 times each.

I won't bother you and your TV, so please don't bother me about my fun learning entertainment tool.

How many people in the privacy of their own home sit down at a computer and immediately grow to be seven feet tall and invincible.

I would hardly call everyone staring at a tv for hours on end passively watching soap operas with infantile plots interacting.

I spend countless minutes watching Thai television struggling to unscramble the pixilated bodies of Thai actors and actresses whose blurred image reflects the existence of one of three possible scenarios: 1) imminent danger of attach from a weapon larger than a pin, 2) naughtily consuming a cigarette or less frequently 3) overwhelmed with pleasure by some despicable and visually banned body part. Most of the time I cannot tell what is going on and turn to something else, but it does require active participation by the viewer to decipher the action on the screen.

• Like 1

I would hardly call everyone staring at a tv for hours on end passively watching soap operas with infantile plots interacting.
I spend countless minutes watching Thai television struggling to unscramble the pixilated bodies of Thai actors and actresses whose blurred image reflects the existence of one of three possible scenarios: 1) imminent danger of attach from a weapon larger than a pin, 2) naughtily consuming a cigarette or less frequently 3) overwhelmed with pleasure by some despicable and visually banned body part. Most of the time I cannot tell what is going on and turn to something else, but it does require active participation by the viewer to decipher the action on the screen.
Lol

....only show tv shows that have hysterical woman, reserved men, and police in crisp uniforms. LOL

I thought that Thai police were always in groups of three, the fat one who is a bit dim, the tall one who is dependable and the slim one with the crisp uniform that is always the hero...

I feel a thread in pub coming on....

cheesy.gif

Yes, ban the slightly sexy TV shows and chatrooms and kareoke and fun stuff. Why should kids today have all these fun happy things in their lives, when back in my day we had to shovel coal in blizzards and stare at a dark wall all night after work. You can translate all of these kinds of articles simply ;

"I wish we had all this cool stuff when I was a kid. I wish I was young again! I'm so old and achey! Ban all this fun youth stuff!"

coffee1.gif

You must have had a easy time of childhood. I had to walk 5 miles to school and 5 miles back every day Uphill both ways.biggrin.png

.wai2.gif

Uphill both ways ....... to do that you would have had to walk 5 miles to school and 10 miles back every day.. for a week..!

A lot of the posters on TV do.

Shame on those kids, they should take an example from all the "adults" on TV, who would never waste their time doing these things.

Would we?

Chatting endlessly and uselessly about stuff they/we never change and never influence.

cheesy.gif

Yes, ban the slightly sexy TV shows and chatrooms and kareoke and fun stuff. Why should kids today have all these fun happy things in their lives, when back in my day we had to shovel coal in blizzards and stare at a dark wall all night after work. You can translate all of these kinds of articles simply ;

"I wish we had all this cool stuff when I was a kid. I wish I was young again! I'm so old and achey! Ban all this fun youth stuff!"

coffee1.gif

You must have had a easy time of childhood. I had to walk 5 miles to school and 5 miles back every day Uphill both ways.biggrin.png

The kids of today should leave all that stuff for we of the older generation who no longer have the physical abilities to enjoy the great out doors or interaction with friends. Now when we interact with each other it is about are various illnesses and operations.sad.png

It was an old Jimmy Steward movie It's a wonderful life where the ever so true lines of youth is wasted on the young ones was uttered.wai2.gif

Hills? You had hills? We DREAMED of having hills! We had to live on an infinitely flat plane with no gradients of any kind. And we had to sweep the whole entire thing too.

giggle.gif

As I said you must have had an easy childhood we had to walk through two feet of fresh snow both coming and going.giggle.gif

it used to be spent playing snooker or blackball in a hall but now its a futile blinkered pursute on a smartphone or playing games online .

how many could pass a GCSE exam in English ??i suspect none of them could.

O Lord/Buddha/Allah save us.

Another one who figures that if the people in the rice fields could speak English Thailand would be saved. Never mind the fact that if you ask them what 2+2 is they have to get out a calculator. Or they think Hitler was a hero.

A lot of the posters on TV do.

Shame on those kids, they should take an example from all the "adults" on TV, who would never waste their time doing these things.

Would we?

Chatting endlessly and uselessly about stuff they/we never change and never influence.

Yes but we know that. We find in are advanced age the opportunity to have an opinion on things with out fear of retribution. Well there is the monitorstongue.png

When you say "adults" on TV are you talking about Thai soap operas?clap2.gif

cheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

.wai2.gif

Uphill both ways ....... to do that you would have had to walk 5 miles to school and 10 miles back every day.. for a week..!

Sarchasm..... and not for the first time., it's a regular feature.

go into any net cafe in the early evening and see what theyre doing, one half is playing games, and the other half are chatting to A farang bloke trying to convince him to send her some money via Western union

clap2.gif I'm sending this quote to one of my "young friends" in the Philippines. She knows what I think,

but this is nice and succinct.

The "industry" over there is focused on helping with school fees, rather than their mother's hospital expenses.

However, however.

These "kids" are hardly "wasting time".

It is frequently their only recourse after the "father" has left the family in the lurch and gone off drinking and whoring

with a mate or remarried a younger woman.

The great hope of "the masters" is that the masses DO NOT learn a/b other countries, true democracy or how to think critically. That will NEVER be encouraged. Shut down the web now and only show tv shows that have hysterical woman, reserved men, and police in crisp uniforms. LOL

True story, happened to me last week.

My 6 year old daughter goes to a one hour class with two married (together) teachers, who are early thirties and both educated abroad. They are really nice and my daughter seems to love going there. Last week we had a change of venue and I am told to take daughter to her 65 yr old ex kindergarten teacher who just retired and is trying to make a comfy life teaching young kids...Thai Language !! (They live here for gods sake!) . I said to my wife, hang on a minute we didn't discuss this, as I drive along, what was wrong with the other two they were nice. Oh says my wife, the old teacher says they are not very good and what they do is too much for children, last week they were showing them a map of the world and getting them to remember the names of lots of countries !!! (<deleted>!), the old teacher says they should be taught Thai language. I immediately call for the kids to "'brace brace brace', tighten your car seat lap straps we are about to commence emergency braking". Stop the car, U-turn and head back to the two young EDUCATED teachers. My wife is going 'what, what what'. I explain the facts of life and what education is and that if I have found two Thai teachers who are showing my 6 year old what the world looks like and names of countries then I would gladly employ them full time to do home schooling for my children !!! My wife has actually watched me spend an hour with a globe and a torch teaching the 6 year old why the sun comes up and go's down and why some places are hot and some cold (as she asked me why), and remarked how great it was, yet she automatically became submissive and kotowed to an old teacher who said that learning about the world was bad !!! Not any more....not on my watch!

My 5 year old is very disciplined and makes sure, from self monitoring, she does her homework before any games or net stuff. She loves school and loves study, I'm not sure who she got that from. Otherwise she is very like me. When she was 3, she demanded to be taken out of the local kindergarden age school up the road because her 'teachers' were incompetent. REally!

She said one of them just gave them pencils and paper and spent all her time on her mobile phone, for which someone was actually paying her no doubt.

Our children these days have never had so many educational resources and its up to us to be 'aware' of how they are utilizing them and or getting access to them.

GJ's account is extremely interesting because, this is one of Thailand's great problem areas. Teaching and education. Its still got a long way to go. I hope that the quantity of ex-pats here is going to drive up the standards somewhat.

My 6 year old daughter goes to a one hour class with two married (together) teachers, who are early thirties and both educated abroad. They are really nice and my daughter seems to love going there. Last week we had a change of venue and I am told to take daughter to her 65 yr old ex kindergarten teacher who just retired and is trying to make a comfy life teaching young kids...Thai Language !! (They live here for gods sake!) . I said to my wife, hang on a minute we didn't discuss this, as I drive along, what was wrong with the other two they were nice. Oh says my wife, the old teacher says they are not very good and what they do is too much for children, last week they were showing them a map of the world and getting them to remember the names of lots of countries !!! (<deleted>!), the old teacher says they should be taught Thai language. I immediately call for the kids to "'brace brace brace', tighten your car seat lap straps we are about to commence emergency braking". Stop the car, U-turn and head back to the two young EDUCATED teachers. My wife is going 'what, what what'. I explain the facts of life and what education is and that if I have found two Thai teachers who are showing my 6 year old what the world looks like and names of countries then I would gladly employ them full time to do home schooling for my children !!! My wife has actually watched me spend an hour with a globe and a torch teaching the 6 year old why the sun comes up and go's down and why some places are hot and some cold (as she asked me why), and remarked how great it was, yet she automatically became submissive and kotowed to an old teacher who said that learning about the world was bad !!! Not any more....not on my watch!

I am choosing to believe this story is untrue. If not, I think I would go mad...

I am choosing to believe this story is untrue. If not, I think I would go mad...

Do you want mad angry or mad blub blub blub LoL laugh.png Sorry, it's true, call the men in white coats thumbsup.gif I can send them round after they cart me off!

Do you want mad angry or mad blub blub blub LoL laugh.png Sorry, it's true, call the men in white coats thumbsup.gif I can send them round after they cart me off!

Wibble wibble.

• Like 1