Compensation for flight delay - Bangkok/London via Moscow

Mobi

I understand that within the EU you can claim for compensation from the airline if you are delayed at an airport for more than about 6? hours.

However, would this apply if you are flying Aeroflot and the delay (in my daughter's case over 12 hours) occurred at Moscow airport, when en route from Bangkok to London?

I assume not, as it is outside the EU, but just thought it was worth asking the experts.

Thanks

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/

Scroll down to: How to get a refund or compensation

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

If a flight is delayed by five hours, passengers are additionally entitled to abandon their journey and receive a refund for all unused tickets, a refund on tickets used already if the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to their original travel plan, and, if relevant, a flight back to their original point of departure at the earliest opportunity.

Financial compensation
In addition, if you are denied boarding, your flight is cancelled or arrives more than 3 hours late on arrival at the final destination stated on your ticket, you may be entitled to compensation of €250 - 600, depending on the distance of the flight:
Within the EU
1,500 km or less – €250
over 1,500 km – €400
Between EU airport and non-EU airport
1,500 km or less – €250
1,500 – 3,500 km – €400
over 3,500 km – €600

What was the cause of the delay?

Pre conditions:

applies if you are:

• leaving the EU with any airline, or
  • arriving in the EU with a carrier registered in the EU (or Iceland, Norway or Switzerland)

The former is obviously not the case, the latter we don't know.

come on Steve-that latter is daft easy: Aeroflot is Russia's national airline, Russia is NOt in the EU-so it will bring nothing.

Same-same would apply to any other respected airline flying Bkk-EUR via homebase out of EU, like EK=emirates, EY=etihad, UL=AirLanka/Srilankan, SQ=Singapore and many, many others.

come on Steve-that latter is daft easy: Aeroflot is Russia's national airline, Russia is NOt in the EU-so it will bring nothing.

Same-same would apply to any other respected airline flying Bkk-EUR via homebase out of EU, like EK=emirates, EY=etihad, UL=AirLanka/Srilankan, SQ=Singapore and many, many others.

Yes, I would presume his daughter flew Aeroflot, but there are more airlines flying to Moscow.

Edit: just noticed, he did mention Aeroflot in the OP which I overlooked initially, so that's easy, no compensation.

Edited by stevenl

a while back i was delayed with Aeroflot on the way back, from Bkk, the delay being straight away in Bkk, telling me in the morning that the flight is delayed 14 hours....actually it became as around 17.

all i and everyone else got is transfer for a hotel and a room to stay, also meal, but a set meal, no choice, kind a airline like, but even there is choice.

other compensation? nada.

they also manage to miss the connecting flight with my baggage, so, since i was going to my home country ( even though i dont live there so no back up cloths) i was technically 2 days without bag/my cloths apart from what i wore, and again zero compensation.

to me, aeroflot was a one time affair. zero entertainment, forgetable food and service, a shitty transit airport in Moscow. i will fork out the extra few $ anytime for a decent flight...that time i havent known them. now i do.

• Like 2

That pretty much sums up Aeroflot....Thai and BA are not far behind. I avoid flag carriers as they don't know what service is.

Some more advice..never fly Jet or any airline that routes via India.

The only time I'm happy to accept poor in flight service is when I fly myself.

FlyingAustraliaoutback1989002.jpg

No Travel Insurance.

I actually booked 2 return trips to London via Moscow. My GF and I went to UK first and then returned with my daughter and her husband 3 weeks later. Then my daughter and husband returned to UK 2 weeks after that.

I have to say that all the flights and connections - bar the last one for my daughter out of Moscow, were bang on time and we experienced no problems whatsoever. The aircraft were Airbuses and on all flights we had window/aisle seats together.

The staff were efficient and friendly and I have no complaints about the food which was plentiful. When you fly coach class you don't expect five star food but it filled a hole and was quite palatable. It reminded me of old style western airline food in as much as there were plenty of extras, like bread rolls, biscuits, cake and deserts to fill you up if you didn't like the main course. There was even a choice of main course and all soft drinks, including coke etc were free.

Transit at Moscow airport (4 hours going, 2 hours coming) was fine and the departure lounge was a bit manic but fine with plenty of seats, decent toilets and food outlets. What more do you want?

I have rarely got out of airports so quickly as I did at both Heathrow and Bangkok, and coming back I was even 5 kilos overweight and they didn't charge.

My daughter advises that the plane had a fault which caused the long delay. However, the reason they had to spend most of the night in Moscow was because late night flights are not allowed in Heathrow. This sort of thing can happen on any airline and I'd rather I was delayed to fix the fault than fly on a dodgy plane.

All in all I was quite satisfied, and not a little surprised with the service provided by Areoflot and wouldn't hesitate to fly them again, if their price was competitive. (Yes I had to fork out for 4 round trip tickets, so it adds up....)

Five years back we were stranded in Kuwait for 17 hours with an almost full flight of students going back to Manila on Kuwait Airlines owing to Aircraft mechanical fault. They left us in the departure lounge for nearly six hours with just water so; knowing my rights about such things to a certain degree i went to the desk and demanded to see a Manager. He looked after us and four other 'Farang' who were on the flight and we were fed and watered. taken to a 5 star hotel for the night, given breakfast, and back to Airport to board our long delayed flight. The students were left in the departure Lounge for the entire time and were just given snacks and water.

Once home i emailed Kuwait Airlines about compo' and received a quick reply stating that their only liability was to deliver us to our destination, which they eventually did. I asked a Travel Agent pal of mine if i should push it further and he told me that Middle Eastern Airlines are not covered by EU law once you are out of an EU country, so i should be happy with the way we were treated while we were in Kuwait.

Don't think your gf has much chance of getting anything from Russia.

Edited by trainman34014

That pretty much sums up Aeroflot....Thai and BA are not far behind. I avoid flag carriers as they don't know what service is.

Ah, spoken like a true (fellow) pilot. Piper Cherokee, fairly early model (?). Safe aviating

Ah, spoken like a true (fellow) pilot. Piper Cherokee, fairly early model (?). Safe aviating

No, I think thats Uluru. cheesy.gif