Thailand Aims To Become Tourism Hub Of Indochina

Jai Dee

Thailand to become tourism center of Indochina

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is pushing Thailand to become the tourism center of Indochina, with the cooperation from ACMECS.

Mr. Surapol Sawetserni (สุรพล เศวตเศรนี), the Deputy Governor of the TAT’s public relations division, presided over the press conference on the tourism cooperation between five nations and the launch of www.acmeccsdestination.com. The objective is to promote tourism in Thailand, Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar. Under this ACMECS cooperative strategy, tourism information of the five countries will be publicized on this website.

Thailand plans to become the tourism center in terms of accommodations, shopping, and network between the other four countries in Indochina. In addition, it will enhance the multilateral relationships between the ACMECS country members.

For more information, please log on to www.acmeccsdestination.com.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 April 2006

I have a hard time encouraging people to come to Thailand. The country is getting so restrictive. Last night, (the night before the election), I went out to have a few beers. I was at a small cafe/pub, it was 5:00 p.m., I got my beer and was told that at 6:00, no more beer because tomorrow was the election!

It seems that this sort of "restrictive" thinking is more and more common and really makes the place unattractive as a holiday destination.

Here we go again....yet another hub.

Something I saw in yesterday's issue of 'Database', just about says it all for these hubs;

'World renowned economist Michael Porter once commented that Thailand is world class at making plans, but also a world class failure at carrying them out'.

I was at a small cafe/pub, it was 5:00 p.m., I got my beer and was told that at 6:00, no more beer because tomorrow was the election!

Nothing new in that,

but the other restrictions are make the LOS less and less appealling. :o:D

No one should be promoting tourism to Myanmar!

And why exactly?

Because USA does not like Myanmar or are there other reasons?

I don't think it has anything to do with the USA - SLORC and its military support has a pretty awful reputation as far as human rights goes - so it would be rather inappropriate for the USA to complain about that.

And why exactly?

I don't think it has anything to do with the USA - SLORC and its military support has a pretty awful reputation as far as human rights goes - so it would be rather inappropriate for the USA to complain about that.

as long as I know the USA complained many times about the myanmar regime, but of course embargo does not help anything.

I have a hard time encouraging people to come to Thailand. The country is getting so restrictive. Last night, (the night before the election), I went out to have a few beers. I was at a small cafe/pub, it was 5:00 p.m., I got my beer and was told that at 6:00, no more beer because tomorrow was the election!

It seems that this sort of "restrictive" thinking is more and more common and really makes the place unattractive as a holiday destination.

It was an election day ... common practice

And why exactly?

Think it through .... I am sure you can come up with a reason :-) (that has nothing to do with the USA ... and everything to do with the military Junta running the country)

Remember anything about a Nobel prize winner from there?

Edited by jdinasia