Thai/American widow in need of help

techXXX

Greetings fellow expats, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine, her English is quite good but the bureaucrats at the U.S. consulate naturally try their best to overcomplicate procedures as much as their vocabulary to discourage as many people as possible. Ok enough of my whining here's the situation, from what I understand she's a U.S. citizen who gets a pension from her late husband, she tells me the money is wired to BKK, then to Chiang Mai and then they do what only America still does, they write a check and mail it (normal mail, not insured mail, not express mail). To make a long story short, sometimes the check doesn't arrive via mail (stuck somewhere, lost, whatever) and she gets into problems because she's got rent to pay etc. So she's asking if it's possible that either the BKK consulate or bank or whoever is involved there or the Chiang Mai folks can just wire the money over to her Thai bank account? So the question: "Is it possible for a pension to be transferred to an account without checks and snail mail?"

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

Bas (on behalf of Ms. Harris)

Edited by techXXX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all your replies. I sent her an e-mail with a link to this post directly after posting telling her that I'm quite confident there will be some responses by tomorrow morning, you certainly came through after just a few hours...if that.

Greetings fellow expats, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine, her English is quite good but the bureaucrats at the U.S. consulate naturally try their best to overcomplicate procedures as much as their vocabulary to discourage as many people as possible. Ok enough of my whining here's the situation, from what I understand she's a U.S. citizen who gets a pension from her late husband, she tells me the money is wired to BKK, then to Chiang Mai and then they do what only America still does, they write a check and mail it (normal mail, not insured mail, not express mail). To make a long story short, sometimes the check doesn't arrive via mail (stuck somewhere, lost, whatever) and she gets into problems because she's got rent to pay etc. So she's asking if it's possible that either the BKK consulate or bank or whoever is involved there or the Chiang Mai folks can just wire the money over to her Thai bank account? So the question: "Is it possible for a pension to be transferred to an account without checks and snail mail?"

Thanks in advance guys/gals,

Bas (on behalf of Ms. Harris)

I am thoroughly confused by this description of how the pension funds are routed. No offense intended.

Your saying that the money is wired to BKK and then to Chiang Mai and then a check is sent out??? That's sounds preposterous.

Which American company has a pension representative in Chiang Mai to mail out checks?

I would like to suggest that the beneficiary really has no idea how her check is processed or who it's from. I have a few suggestions to help her out.

Please find out if she has any prior statements/photo copies/W2/1099 forms to identify who is paying her the money. Since she is a USA citizen the information can probably also be found by looking at any of her or husbands prior years mandatory income tax filing.

If it turns out to be Social Security, military pension, a private company pension or whatever once the source is identified you will get much better advice.

I've worked very hard to try to explain to my wife where our money comes from but its confusing and I know she still doesn't understand it all. I've even written a document for her to read after I'm gone to try to help her and I'm trying to setup our accounts so they will still work for her.

I commend you in trying to help this lady!

Thank you for all your replies. I sent her an e-mail with a link to this post directly after posting telling her that I'm quite confident there will be some responses by tomorrow morning, you certainly came through after just a few hours...if that.

FYI

I believe that the most efficient method for an American for receiving government ( Social Security, Military Pension ) or private pensions ( previous employers) is to have the money directly deposited by the issuer into their USA bank account. They can then perform an ACH (electronic transfer) to a Bangkok Bank account by way of the office in New York. It can all be done in 5 days or less. No checks involved!

• Like 2

I get what you're saying Mike, I'm just relaying the partial information I was given. I took photo's of a document with her details for an appointment with the U.S. consulate in Chiang Mai so that probably rules out a private company paying out benefits. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to fill in the blanks.

I get what you're saying Mike, I'm just relaying the partial information I was given. I took photo's of a document with her details for an appointment with the U.S. consulate in Chiang Mai so that probably rules out a private company paying out benefits. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to fill in the blanks.

Are there any clues on that document? Like a payee name or a Form # ( Form SSA-1099) ?

Thanks for your assistance in helping widows like the lady mentioned above. I can only imagine how overwhelming this issue must be for her. Thank goodness, there is somebody that has taken an interest and willing to help. Not really sure what the consulate can do for her, but at least she has some viable options now.

• Like 1

I am an American and receive my Social Security Direct Deposit to my BBL Account every month with no problem. Must be a special account for this use only. I go to bank and get the money. BBL send me an sms which you need to set up once so that every month when the money is deposited you get the text.. Simple.

Thanks for your assistance in helping widows like the lady mentioned above. I can only imagine how overwhelming this issue must be for her. Thank goodness, there is somebody that has taken an interest and willing to help. Not really sure what the consulate can do for her, but at least she has some viable options now.

Just doing what anyone (I hope) would do ;).

I will aggree the consulate here in Chiang Mai is little help to foreign spouses . I once helped a lady whos husband passed away . She spoke no english. They had her filling out all kinds of forms and had her thinking she would get monthly checks . Which was not the case ,, she had never lived in the USA and they knew it ... I emailed the embassy and explained to them what they were telling her was incorrect . Only to get an email back telling me how well trained they are in these matters .... B.S I wish they had used gramar check on the letter they sent me ....

As for this problem she should open up a Bangkok Bank account and it must be in her name only . Then have the checks directed to the NY Branch . very small fee attached ......

• Like 1

I get a pension for my 20 years in the U.S. army. In order for it to be delivered to my Bangkok Bank account, the U.S. treasury requires me to set up a direct deposit account with Bangkok Bank and personally go in every month to withdraw it. So when it comes, I go to the bank and withdraw it with a withdrawal form and transfer it to my ATM card with a deposit form. Then I use my Bangkok Bank ATM card when I need money.

The reason for this procedure is for proof of life. If I die, the U.S. treasury wants to make sure no one gets my money. That is their rule and if I want this service I have to abide by their rules.

Additionally, the transfer to Bangkok Bank cost $5 to route it through Bangkok Bank New York and 200 baht to convert the pay check to Thai baht.

Edited by richard10365

proof of life isn't an issue for a widow (or is it?) but does she need a NY bangkok bank account or will a (thai) bangkok bank account suffice?

Proof of life is what happens when you show up to the bank. You prove you are alive. The person entitled to the money has to be alive to get the money. If the widow dies, she can't go to the bank. So the money stops.

My Bangkok Bank account is here in Chaing Mai. When filling out the direct deposit form, the routing number directs the money to the Bangkok Bank account in New York. My Bangkok Bank account number sends it to Chiang Mai. It is pretty easy to do and her bank should know how.

• Like 1

I recently had dealings with the US Consulate in Chiang Mai and found them very difficult to get on with. They only deal directly with the public two days a week, never answer their phone and only seem to reply to e-mails from lawyers. Am so grateful that I am not an American citizen there in need of assistance.

• Like 1

I get a pension for my 20 years in the U.S. army. In order for it to be delivered to my Bangkok Bank account, the U.S. treasury requires me to set up a direct deposit account with Bangkok Bank and personally go in every month to withdraw it. So when it comes, I go to the bank and withdraw it with a withdrawal form and transfer it to my ATM card with a deposit form. Then I use my Bangkok Bank ATM card when I need money.

The reason for this procedure is for proof of life. If I die, the U.S. treasury wants to make sure no one gets my money. That is their rule and if I want this service I have to abide by their rules.

Additionally, the transfer to Bangkok Bank cost $5 to route it through Bangkok Bank New York and 200 baht to convert the pay check to Thai baht.

Richard

I have heard that a special account at Bangkok Bank Thailand (no ATM card allowed, no joint access) was required for direct deposit to Thailand for Social Security and I guess from what you said it also applies to the usa military pension.

I think these requirements are in effect because the money is sent directly from the U.S. Treasury to a FOREIGN country ....Thailand.

I do not believe those are the rules for deposit to a USA bank account. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I intend to have my Social Security directly deposited into my USA bank account. I can then easily transfer online by ACH electronic transfer ( has the same fees you described... much cheaper than SWIFT Wire Transfer) whatever amount I wish to my Thailand Regular Bangkok Bank account (has ATM card) by routing it to the New York Bangkok Bank.

• Like 2

Richard

I have heard that a special account at Bangkok Bank Thailand (no ATM card allowed, no joint access) was required for direct deposit to Thailand for Social Security and I guess from what you said it also applies to the usa military pension.

I think these requirements are in effect because the money is sent directly from the U.S. Treasury to a FOREIGN country ....Thailand.

I do not believe those are the rules for deposit to a USA bank account. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I intend to have my Social Security directly deposited into my USA bank account. I can then easily transfer online by ACH electronic transfer ( has the same fees you described... much cheaper than SWIFT Wire Transfer) whatever amount I wish to my Thailand Regular Bangkok Bank account (has ATM card) by routing it to the New York Bangkok Bank.

Hi Mike,

You are correct and these rules don't apply to USA bank accounts.

If the check is from the US Military or the Veterans Administration I am sure the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) chapter in Chiang Mai would be willing to help this lady with assistance, just google them.

I know of several Ladies they were helpful to. They know which way to go and how to fill in the proper papers if it is a Vet check. If not they still might have some knowledge.

I am really surprised at the attitude in the Chiang Mai Consulate. I have all ways found them courteous and efficient. But I don't think finances is in their scope of duties. I really believe the answer will be here on Thai Visa. I myself get a SS check deposited into a bank over there and use a Visa card here to with drtaw it. I know there is a bank over there that transfers funds to a bank over here.

Richard

Hi Mike,

You are correct and these rules don't apply to USA bank accounts.

Is the Bank of Bangkok the only one you can do this with?

Thus far Bangkok Bank is the only bank that has a branch in the US . Being it has a routing number that can be used by any other bank in the USA to transfer funds . I have my funds directed to a US bank first as a buffer . Then a transfer from that bank to Bangkok bank NY branch . Becasue I do it this way I can transfer into a joint account that my wife can also access. If it was coming direct from my pension to Bangkok Bank. The account would have to be in my name only and no atm card on that account . You must go to the counter in person and transfer the money . Doing it this way I dont have to wire transfer where the fees are high . I usually have my money available in 5 days .... Good thing is I have everything set up automatic I do nothing just sit back everymonth and wait for the funds ....

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/AdviceDirectDeposit.aspx

Many times the "problems" reported by people dealing with Consulate personnel are the cause of the problem from misunderstanding and misinformation.

As you can see from the varied responses on a forum, maybe a forum is not the best place to get accurate information on how to do something. Forums are good to get an idea, but not necessarily for the correct information.

For those of us who have our monies transferred from a banking institution in the US to the Bangkok Bank in New York, be sure that you are paying only a domestic transfer fee rather than the higher international fee. Every once in a while my credit union will unwittingly charge the international fee of $45 instead of the $20 for domestic. After all, sending money to the Bangkok Bank does sound like it's going to be an international transfer.

(Once the money is received in New York it is immediately credited to my account here in Chiang Mai...usually in less than 24 hours.)

For those of us who have our monies transferred from a banking institution in the US to the Bangkok Bank in New York, be sure that you are paying only a domestic transfer fee rather than the higher international fee. Every once in a while my credit union will unwittingly charge the international fee of $45 instead of the $20 for domestic. After all, sending money to the Bangkok Bank does sound like it's going to be an international transfer.

(Once the money is received in New York it is immediately credited to my account here in Chiang Mai...usually in less than 24 hours.)

If your credit union is charging you $20 for a ACH electronic transfer you should consider getting a new bank. For most banks it's free.
  • Like 1

I think sometimes people (Americans) come to Thailand expecting things to work like they do in the USA. Then they get disappointed when this doesn't happen. They also, as someone else pointed out, have not researched enough of their particular problem and expect others (the U.S. Consulate) to solve their problem for them when it is clearly not their responsibility to do so.

So they get upset and complain about bad service for a place that actually doesn't provide that service. So for future reference, I will add some other things the U.S. Consulate does not do.

• They are not a Car repair shop
  • They are not a Hotel Booking Agency
  • They cannot book tickets for flights at the consulate
  • They are not a dating agency
  • They don't deliver pizza
  • They don't offer marriage counselling services
  • They don't provide daycare service for your children
  • They don't wash cars
  • They are not a taxi service
  • They don't provide medical services

If I left something off, feel free to add it.

• Like 1