TAKAP! (Vietnamese centipede)

Lobo4819

I've noticed more Takap than usual this year, and they are nasty, mean, hard to kill, venomous, and can grow to about 30 centimeters. Google "vietnamese centipede" for more info, and there are plenty of videos of them on YouTube.

Anyway, with all the experience and sage wisdom on TV, I was wondering if someone had a 'home remedy' or even an over-the-counter recommendation in case one was unfortunately stung by one of these critters. From what I understand, the sting is extremely painful and complications are not uncommon.

I wouldn't know if they are exactly the same species but the local giant variety do seem to have a penchant for slug bait, usually get a couple turn dead up after putting some down. I understand they can be painful but fortunately I have yet to savour that!

Most of the giant centipedes have enough venom to kill animals and children under 40lbs/18kg

They are highly aggressive and may even bite multiple times.

Be wary of dark places with high amounts of moisture. Also beware of the back end, their last two legs are enlongated for a reason, they can gab on to you and then whip around from underneath and get you that way.

They also make great ornamental pets!

Boric acid or Borax can be used to kill them, and any other insect, use it around the edges of your house.

People always said they are aggressive but I have seen them quite a few times and even handled them. Seems like a poorly passed on myth to me.

Not that I would want to be bitten by one, but they surely do not seem as aggressive as people say.

Here is a video for example on youtube.

Known plenty of people in the exotic pet business that will back up the aggressive claim and give warning not to handle them. I knew someone who decided to prove that they could be handled, it got spooked and bit him 4 times, he wasn't feeling too well for over a day...

Mine would try to attack the forceps I used to clean it's cage, a few times it would try to run up them to get to my hand.

On a side note, their are quite a few breeds of these myriapods in the world, some could be meaner than others.

Good one, Joe. 555

I'm going to bring a box of Borax back to Thailand when I come. Ants and centipedes don't like it. I've heard that a centipede's body juices are also toxic, so if you mash one with your shoe be sure to clean it with something other than your bare hand.

The OP was asking about first aid for a sting by one and the only thing that I can come up with was when I was a kid, I got stung on the shoulder by one of those nasty things........the pain was terrible and Mom immediately got something from under the kitchen counter and dabbed it on and the pain was neutralized immediately. Assuming that it was either acidic or alkaline as most toxins are and the magic stuff did the trick, but I can't remember what it was, sorry.

Not much you can do, a pain killer may help. Here in the sticks the Thais just endure it and wait. It's very popular here to catch the big ones and put them in a bottle of lao kaow, leave 'em there for three months and then share the "poisoned" booze with brave companions. It's supposed to strengthen your body and make you a better lover. Strange

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

The OP was asking about first aid for a sting by one and the only thing that I can come up with was when I was a kid, I got stung on the shoulder by one of those nasty things........the pain was terrible and Mom immediately got something from under the kitchen counter and dabbed it on and the pain was neutralized immediately. Assuming that it was either acidic or alkaline as most toxins are and the magic stuff did the trick, but I can't remember what it was, sorry.

Guess it depends on the allergic reaction. My Thai stepson (aged 7) was bitten, a lot of pain and a short time later started vomitting, he had to be taken to hospital for treatment

For the inital bite, just wait out the pain,.... however I have found that a later infection caused by the beast's dirty bacterial mandibles to be the real danger. clean the bite site well and blead out a bit to remove as much bacteria as possible. The small blue variety has a bite similar to wasp sting with no later infection. I have been bitten at least a dozen times.

Edited by daoyai

For the inital bite, just wait out the pain,.... however I have found that a later infection caused by the beast's dirty bacterial mandibles to be the real danger. clean the bite site well and blead out a bit to remove as much bacteria as possible. The small blue variety has a bite similar to wasp sting with no later infection. I have been bitten at least a dozen times.

A dozen times? How did you get yourself into that situation so many times?

I've seen them as long as 18 cm in the moobaan when walking my dog.

3 separate occasions while sleeping, 1 while putting on shoe (always shake out your shoes before wearing) 1 in a glove,.... too many times pulling random weeds barehanded.

Coolest experience was seeing one devouring a skink that it had killed a dragged up a wall to eat. It's head was inside the lizard. no camera.

Remember, it is never the one you see that gets you so, no fear.

Edited by daoyai

3 separate occasions while sleeping, 1 while putting on shoe (always shake out your shoes before wearing) 1 in a glove,.... too many times pulling random weeds barehanded.

Coolest experience was seeing one devouring a skink that it had killed a dragged up a wall to eat. It's head was inside the lizard. no camera.

Remember, it is never the one you see that gets you so, no fear.

Yes, everyone needs to be very careful when they put on their shoes. They need to check inside the shoe. Every year, a good number of children in Thailand die because there are baby cobras that like to go inside shoes. Even as babies their bite is enough to kill a child. It's on the news every year. We check our child's shoes every day, but just yesterday the g/f forgot and our child kept complaining on the way to school that his shoe was too tight and "mai sabai". We pulled over, took off his shoe and a brown frog with black marking on his back jumped out!

• Like 1

Vinegar helps with a lot of bites. On beaches in North Queensland there a boxes containing bottles of vinegar in case of a bite by marine stingers which can cause excruciating pain and even death. It has something to do with acid and antacid, one negating the other I think.

Good one, Joe. 555

I'm going to bring a box of Borax back to Thailand when I come. Ants and centipedes don't like it. I've heard that a centipede's body juices are also toxic, so if you mash one with your shoe be sure to clean it with something other than your bare hand.

Don't try to stomp them! I saw a kareoke girl stamp on one it reared up and got her on the ankle

I have never heard anyone scream in agony like that before or since.. she was rushed to hospital by customers but was back at work after a few days a little wiser.

Also guys.. check inside your trousers in the morning for Takaps .. you don't want one of these biting your dangly bits for sure..

Good one, Joe. 555

Don't try to stomp them! I saw a kareoke girl stamp on one it reared up and got her on the ankle

I have never heard anyone scream in agony like that before or since.. she was rushed to hospital by customers but was back at work after a few days a little wiser.

Also guys.. check inside your trousers in the morning for Takaps .. you don't want one of these biting your dangly bits for sure..

That`s good advice.

Also, always shake out your shoes before putting your feet inside.

Some years ago my son who left his boots outside the house all night was badly stung on his right foot when he pulled on his boot not realizing that a scorpion had crawled inside. Luckily it was only a small scorpion, not deadly, but it left him in severe pain and shock for several days afterwards.

I have heard stories of snakes making a home in wellington boots, boots and shoes.

I had a talk with my friend yesterday whose wife was biten recently. He brought her straight to a small hospital in the neighbourhood where she got two shots, one antidote and one antiseptic. Additionally some pain killers and she was ok. I was told that all the hospitals, even the smallest ones, are well equipped and prepared for this kind of issue. Good to know and I'm happy not to be experienced with this.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

I had a talk with my friend yesterday whose wife was biten recently. He brought her straight to a small hospital in the neighbourhood where she got two shots, one antidote and one antiseptic. Additionally some pain killers and she was ok. I was told that all the hospitals, even the smallest ones, are well equipped and prepared for this kind of issue. Good to know and I'm happy not to be experienced with this.

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

In trying to learn more on the subject, I visited several medical web sites. They said there are over 3000 varieties of centipede in the world, with scolopendra/takap being the largest and most venomous. Several of the sites stated that there was no antivenom for any of the centipede venoms. I wonder what the name of the antidote was she was given?