Flavored grek yogurt in Chiang Mai

JepSoDii

Has anyone been able to buy flavored greek yogurt (like the Chobani or Danon/Oikkos or Fage brands) in individual packages anywhere in Chiang Mai? So far I have not been able to find any. I can only find the plain greek (which is rare), and I realize I can add frozen berries to that, but would prefer pre-made flavored Greek. Thanks in advance.

I only ever found one decent Greek yoghurt in Chiang Mai, and that was imported from Australia. It seemed to be one of the few that was not sweetened, but there is a locally made one which is quite pleasant, usually on sale in various sizes in TOPs. (Yolinda brand).

If you're looking for a Greek yoghurt from Acidophillus in it, I very much doubt you'll find it.

I've not seen a flavoured Greek yoghurt, only the coloured/flavoured/20% sugar tubs in all the shops.

My solution was to buy cultures for Greek yoghurt (ABC-1 probiotic and Greek Yoghurt) on my last trip to Australia, and use fresh pastuerised milk from the Thai-Danish dairy opposite the CM zoo.

MAKRO has tubs of frozen, mixed berries.

see: www.greenlivinginaustralia.com.au The info sheets tell you all you'll ever need to know!

I only ever found one decent Greek yoghurt in Chiang Mai, and that was imported from Australia. It seemed to be one of the few that was not sweetened, but there is a locally made one which is quite pleasant, usually on sale in various sizes in TOPs. (Yolinda brand).

If you're looking for a Greek yoghurt from Acidophillus in it, I very much doubt you'll find it.

I've not seen a flavoured Greek yoghurt, only the coloured/flavoured/20% sugar tubs in all the shops.

My solution was to buy cultures for Greek yoghurt (ABC-1 probiotic and Greek Yoghurt) on my last trip to Australia, and use fresh pastuerised milk from the Thai-Danish dairy opposite the CM zoo.

see: www.greenlivinginaustralia.com.au The info sheets tell you all you'll ever need to know!

Thanks for the excellent reply. I will look for the Yolinda in TOPS, but what is the possibility of cultures in Thailand? I would guess zero (I'm bracing for that reply), and I won't even ask about transporting it back to Thailand. Customs declaration skipped I guess? My knowledge on cultures is zero but I am guessing this is something an agriculture department might have regulations on?

In the meantime, I guess I will just have to buy plain greek and blend it with frozen berries.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

• 2 months later...

So to follow up here, I pretty much went with the make yourself version. Yolinda brand plain yogurt isn't labeled as Greek Yogurt (the Thai script doesn't say Greek), but seems to be close enough, and so what I do is pour about a 1/4 cup of frozen berries into a mug or bowl, let them thaw an hour or so, then scoop the Yolinda in--about another 1/4 cup. As is, it's fairly bland, and the thawed fruit only slightly sweetens the overall yogurt. But add half a teaspoon and it tastes like normal flavored Greek yogurt. Thanks for the brand recommendation, masuk.

Thanks for the excellent reply. I will look for the Yolinda in TOPS, but what is the possibility of cultures in Thailand? I would guess zero (I'm bracing for that reply), and I won't even ask about transporting it back to Thailand. Customs declaration skipped I guess? My knowledge on cultures is zero but I am guessing this is something an agriculture department might have regulations on?

In the meantime, I guess I will just have to buy plain greek and blend it with frozen berries.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The site I gave (Green Living...) has a large range of yoghurt and cheese cultures. These are all freeze-dried, and weigh next to nothing. I doubt very much that Thai Quarantine/Customs would be concened as there's no milk, just a small quantity of powder.

However, I have no idea what would happen if the cultures were posted here, as even airmail would take a week or more to arrive. I keep the small plastic containers in the freezer until needed, and 6 months on, I'm still making an excellent Greek yoghurt.

This trip I also brought back Kefir grains, and I shared this with one other Chiang Mai Visa reader, and they're doing well.

I'll re-stock next March, and bring back new supplies of the Greek Yoghurt culture if you're interested. I also bought a dairy thermometer and a small bottle of calcium chloride, as suggested by the Green Living folk.

Although I use a plastic insulated container for making yoghurt, I'd suggest a wide-mouth Thermos-type flask, which will keep the yoghurt at around 40C while it's doing its thing.