Looking for agriculture (mushrooms) wholesaler near Korat / Lam Plai Mat

mushroomdave

I am looking around the Korat - Lam Plai Mat area for an agricultural wholesaler or anyone who wishes to buy oyster mushrooms in bulk. We currently have a buyer but we know they are offering below market value/kg so we are looking around for other options. No problem driving to Korat each day for market value, and live in Lam Plai Mat Village. We're ready for the first harvest in a few weeks and will be producing close to 200kg/day. After all the structures are finished and producing in late February, we should have approx. 900-1,100 kg/day (conservatively). Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you beforehand.

Dave

mushroomdave, could i ask...how much was the regular wholesaler quoting and what is the market price per kilo wholesales and retail ?

We are being offered 40baht/Kg right now and it is from our supplier of the actual mushroom spores we are purchasing. She has actually told us we can get more and to look around since she says we should be able to get around 55-60 baht/Kg in Lam Plai Mat and even 70 baht/Kg in Korat.

sound like a big commitment to fly in the dark. as a matter of interest how many rai/acres does your 1000kg/day operation cover.

is direct to tesco et al an option?

Not sure of total rai, but we are using my bf's father's farm and he is giving us all the room we want (Chum Phuang area). When all is done, we will have 8 structures built with approximately 82,000 spores total. Our first 2 buildings (a bit smaller than the next 6) will be producing in a few weeks and all will average about 10,000-11,000 spore bags. Each structure is around 12m X 6m (40' X 20') with all 8 up and going late-February / early-March.

sound like a big commitment to fly in the dark. as a matter of interest how many rai/acres does your 1000kg/day operation cover.

is direct to tesco et al an option?

Sorry didn't see your edit. Yes, we have a truck and direct to Tesco is fine but I am wondering what location you are talking about?

yes, 40thb/kg is way bellow the market price.

however a few thoughts:

for the proposed quantity, maybe the target market should be wholesaler supplying Bangkok, 1000kg/day is not a little bit.

for 80.000 spores/bags every 4-5 months, you should be better off making your own, i am pretty sure....say making 1000 spores a day, that could be a whole yeararound, everyday operation to supply your houses alone, and as such with 200.000 spores a year about, thinking 2 baht/spore profit, a quite lucrative business on its own right.

btw, how much you pay per spore bag?

with not having a wholesale buyer yet in place, isnt a little grand to go on to keep buying and building, as one mention it is like fly into the darkness. while mushroom is popular, 1000kg a day wont retail in the all the talats in your 30km radius...and you wont be the only producer. in fact the one selling you the spores could (and sorry to say but should) undercut you if there would be ready buyers for that quantity.

shouldnt be a good idea to diversify a bit by having not one, but 2-5 kind of mushrooms to grow? you only mentioned nang fa.

yes, 40thb/kg is way bellow the market price.

however a few thoughts:

for the proposed quantity, maybe the target market should be wholesaler supplying Bangkok, 1000kg/day is not a little bit.

for 80.000 spores/bags every 4-5 months, you should be better off making your own, i am pretty sure....say making 1000 spores a day, that could be a whole yeararound, everyday operation to supply your houses alone, and as such with 200.000 spores a year about, thinking 2 baht/spore profit, a quite lucrative business on its own right.

btw, how much you pay per spore bag?

with not having a wholesale buyer yet in place, isnt a little grand to go on to keep buying and building, as one mention it is like fly into the darkness. while mushroom is popular, 1000kg a day wont retail in the all the talats in your 30km radius...and you wont be the only producer. in fact the one selling you the spores could (and sorry to say but should) undercut you if there would be ready buyers for that quantity.

shouldnt be a good idea to diversify a bit by having not one, but 2-5 kind of mushrooms to grow? you only mentioned nang fa.

We are not breaking ground on the next 6 structures until we have a wholesaler in place (revenue stream first) to start with these first 2 buildings and why I placed this topic. And on our lawyer's advice, with the #'s we are talking eventually and likely having to deal with a company that heads to BKK each day, she advised us to get a deal done with one of these before starting the next few structures. Also, once we get going, we will be producing our own spores but right now this is our business plan and have many other things to concentrate on now. As for the supplier, that isn't a worry if she wants to try anything as there are 4 others all very close to the farm in the same price range and she also knows that. And finally, after we get going, we will be producing different other kinds, I only listed oyster mushrooms as they are what we stocked the first 2 structures with. Thanks for the advice.

Ya know, RBH, those "Spider senses" are good things to have in Thailand. My spider senses tell me to be extremely grateful for 20+% of anything my computations tell me to expect.smile.png So many fronts attacking the end package.

Wholesalers, disease, weather, staff going "Homer", duff bottles, corn harvest season, RBH fish-pond clearing season, did I mention disease? Too cold. too hot, Mi ben rai.......

'Gotta love those Spider senses....

Regards.

• Like 1

as has been pointed out, the technology, capital. and labour are the easy parts, selling in the thai market place is the MOST difficult factor that requires the most planning and effort especially with your planned numbers that would attract attention for a farang. youve been warned. have a good long chat with IsaanAussie before you commit too much more.

Edited by uneducated rural rabble

as has been pointed out, the technology, capital. and labour are the easy parts, selling in the thai market place is the MOST difficult factor that requires the most planning and effort especially with your planned numbers that would attract attention for a farang. youve been warned. have a good long chat with IsaanAussie before you commit too much more.

why i agree in general with this comment ( the selling difficulty part), still beg to differ!

while we are farang, it shoudl not equal for be hiding. we dont have to feel ashamed being farang.

the business is the thai wife's of course, and as such is thai. not that there isnt a bunch of farang business in Thailand.

i dont get involved with selling, though sometimes go along my wife or son with bicycle in the village, or sit and read my book while my son sells in the market. neither my son can hide being a luk krung...nevertheless does great selling!! and that is for an 11 yrs old boy!

i really believe that hiding is not the way to go, proving that you sell something reliable quality, maybe superior even to others, is the way. and being shamed about who i am...no thanks.

it works for us. but i understand that results and opinions come in many form.

• Like 1

nevertheless does great selling!! and that is for an 11 yrs old boy!

but OP is talking 10s of thousand a baht day, goes into a different dimension.

for export to international markets singapore or hongkong japan say, and you would be on more stable ground. perhaps look into an agent who knows the full score. dont know about mushrooms spoilage but closer to the airport may be better location.

200 kgs a day sure has my "Spider Senses" (I like that RBH) keenly interested. That is a lot of mushrooms! I have been looking at other types to grow here and oysters are one that interests me.

On the sale side of things 40 baht is better than a poke in the eye if you end up with 170kg a day unsold.

But 1000kg a day, beyond my comprehension. Target market domestic or export?

• Like 1

Well actually, the business is the bf's and he and part of his family have worked previously on mushroom farms. I will just be doing bookwork at home and he handles the daily operations on the farm and transportation etc. And it seems our problem may me solved as he received a call last night from a wholesaler (offering almost double the current offer we have) a little south of Korat and we will meet with him Saturday morning. But thanks for the advice!

In my opinion, farming is different from operating a mini mart or kway teow store. I have a shop in front of the house selling Home DIY and 4WD tractor spare part and oils, another shop 200m down also selling Home DIY. We used to be good friends but until i opened the shop 4 years ago, they hardly speak to us anymore. Unlike farming, they feels that we are competitors now competing for customers. And we got about 85% of customers in the vicinity because we sell everything due to my deep pocket.

Farming is that everybody can do it and go as big and far as they like and everybody is selling to the bunch of bulk buyers and wholesalers. So there is no competition.....other than the competition among the wholesalers themselves.

• Like 2

im no expert on mushrooms,

but you say that there is other farms close to yours,,

at the amount you are going to produse,, i would be more worried about upsetting them to much,

a lot of things can happen in the dark of night,

be carefull

Sorry but tingtong and I were talking about the "supplier". He thought I could leave myself open to be undercut by my supplier and if you read, I replied that there are 4 other "suppliers" /spore makers near our farm I could go to if she did........not other

"mushroom farmers". And as far at night goes, I really hope they are quiet since with our dogs and the all the houses around are family that will be working for me and their livelihood .......and let's not forget the father sleeping 6m away from the structures with a little something he hunts with!!!!!........I wish them good luck !!

In my opinion, farming is different from operating a mini mart or kway teow store. I have a shop in front of the house selling Home DIY and 4WD tractor spare part and oils, another shop 200m down also selling Home DIY. We used to be good friends but until i opened the shop 4 years ago, they hardly speak to us anymore. Unlike farming, they feels that we are competitors now competing for customers. And we got about 85% of customers in the vicinity because we sell everything due to my deep pocket.

Farming is that everybody can do it and go as big and far as they like and everybody is selling to the bunch of bulk buyers and wholesalers. So there is no competition.....other than the competition among the wholesalers themselves.

Exactly !!!.....not like your situation (if your "friends" want to be that way good for you!!).......farming is totally different......nobody to compete with and we just sell to wholesalers......less aggravation and one reason I decided to get into this business!!

Thanks.

Cut to the chase guys. RBH has the situation controlled and the profits. But he upsets no-one and is accepted as the feudal lord locally. Not to be F-cked with.That position and experience doesn't come cheap and requires a mindset that few of us mere farangs understand.

I used to watch a TV show called Lost in Space. The the Robinson family had a robot that used to flap it's arms and call out "Warning Will Robinson!"

Cut to the chase guys. RBH has the situation controlled and the profits. But he upsets no-one and is accepted as the feudal lord locally. Not to be F-cked with.That position and experience doesn't come cheap and requires a mindset that few of us mere farangs understand.

I used to watch a TV show called Lost in Space. The the Robinson family had a robot that used to flap it's arms and call out "Warning Will Robinson!"

Lots of Chang, Sangsom, Lao Khao in play. Lots of hang over and vomit too. tongue.png

Edited: Submitted wrong post for wrong topic earlier.

Edited by RedBullHorn

my recommendation would be making a very good effort to learn the language and also making a very good effort to be Buddhist including the periods as a monk and the daily giving to the monks. also overt displays of worship of the king. stand for the national anthem when you hear it played.

me i couldn't be bothered and am content to watch from the sidelines. no financial motivation to get entangled.

Edited by Tony Rabbott

i dont think that providing the finances and checking the books will require the OP to be a monk for a period, or even to take up Buddhism.

standing for anthem wont be that necessery neither for the mentioned providing and checking...

the language is useful, but even that is secondary in this case, as long as he has ( and i am sure he does have) meaningful way to communicate with his partner and his family.

it is no need to go offtopic such a way, in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

There is a place like a Central agricultural market behind Maharaj Hospital in Korat, we call Maharaj Market.
It is the place for the wholesalers and buyers come to trade agriculture products.

Do not need to be a member.

Just go there with truck loaded of vegetable or mushrooms and ask or the price as much as we need.

Then the demand and supply of that day will automatically set the price for us.
It is 24 hours trading place.

But most activities occur from late evening.

• Like 2

There is a place like a Central agricultural market behind Maharaj Hospital in Korat, we call Maharaj Market.

It is the place for the wholesalers and buyers come to trade agriculture products.

Just go there with truck loaded of vegetable or mushrooms and ask or the price as much as we need.

Thank you so much. Will check that out along with another outside Korat this weekend then.

Thanks again!

Edited by mushroomdave

i dont think that providing the finances and checking the books will require the OP to be a monk for a period, or even to take up Buddhism.

standing for anthem wont be that necessery neither for the mentioned providing and checking...

the language is useful, but even that is secondary in this case, as long as he has ( and i am sure he does have) meaningful way to communicate with his partner and his family.

it is no need to go offtopic such a way, in my humble opinion.

sure if you just want to do small time family stuff or behind the scenes yes no absolute need.

Edited by Tony Rabbott

Colonel, you have save the day again. thumbsup.gif