What are your eating habits? Lifestyle?

FolkGuitar

For almost 10 years, we cooked 95% of our meals at home, eating in various ethnic restaurants 2-3 times a week. It seemed to cost us a rather large portion of our monthly expenditure. We ate well at home, cooking mostly western foods. Shopped a couple of times each week at Rimping, Tops, and Makro. Usually had the shopping delivered thanks to the free delivery if you spend more than 1,000 baht. We usually couldn't get out spending less than 2,000-3,000

Most meals cost us about 300-500 baht per person. We both put on a lot of weight.

We left for a couple of years, and came back with a different plan...

Now we eat 98% of our meals out in various Thai restaurants and food courts, cooking at home only once a week at the most, and that's usually been breakfasts. We've discovered that we are eating a much wider variety of foods, though mostly prepared Thai style, certainly a more balanced diet. . Spending one tenth of what we had been previously spending, but eating healthier meals. We went shopping at Tops... once. Stocked up on staples. Picked up a carton of eggs another time... cat food... light bulb...

These days if we want to buy food we do so at Tanin Market or Warrarote Market, but usually it's just fruit or some snacks to eat while watching a movie.

These days meals cost us between 35-50 baht per person, sometimes as much as 60-75 baht at the more expensive places. Because we're walking every day and getting more exercise, we took off most of that weight and expect to keep it off.

We still enjoy going out to ethnic restaurants once or twice a week, but generally we spend less than 50 baht per person per meal otherwise, and enjoy the foods we've been eating. No cooking. No washing up. And banking the difference. Well... OK... we're only banking it for a week or two when we go and blow it on a fancy meal at one of the pricier restaurants. LOL!

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a number of gastro-intestinal issues which prevent me from eating very much. I therefore eat very little, mostly snacks, and exercise quite a bit. I don't spend more than 500 baht per week on food. Drinks don't cause any issues for me. I drink mostly water with a beer or two in the evening, about 500 baht per week. Therefore roughly baht 1000 per week for f & b.

When the Mrs is here, she cooks in our café. Sometimes we cook at home, we had a spat of home baked bread and cakes/biscuits last week and some other home cooked food - Mrs is away working in the UK, so just me and my teenage daughters, so all of us cook from time to time. We get a lot of stuff from 7-11 across the street (especially those frozen meals like spagbog, hot dogs for the girls, croissants with ham and cheese etc - and bread for home made sarnies). I eat a lot of sandwiches too - I have an egg boiler which I use once a week or so to make egg sarnies and I also go through 2+ tins of Nam Prik Pad (Tuna Prung Rod) which I like to spread - spicy licklips.gif. Once a week or so we eat at the restaurant opposite - open air (covered by thatch) Thai place - excellent food and cheap (although prices have risen sharply lately). I have a drink once or twice a month in the local, other than that I drink water or coke zero - kids drink water and milk products/juice. All in all probably spend 10-15k a month on food (plenty of snacks and luxuries in there) - which is probably what I spent in a week in Asda back home food shopping.

//Edit: I am a Piscatarian by the way, eat no meat but fish and seafood, so eating out tends to be the more expensive stuff because I won't eat chicken or pork that is in most of the cheaper dishes.

Edited by wolf5370

I don't see what this topic has to do with Chiang Mai, or why anyone wants to fascinate us with their eating habits, but if it's going to continue I suggest we should at least have photos. I'm not telling, because I happen to think that most people don't care and for those that do, INOYFB. I'm not sure if that's a valid acronym, but I think most people should figure it out.

Coincidentally, my dinner's just arrived!!!

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Perhaps this could be part of the 'Let's meet up once a month to discuss topics' thread.

I'm bricking myself in anticipation. :D

With a requirement that you must have been here for at least ten years. I've been here for more than 20 and twice in the space of a week I've been told that I haven't been here long enough!

• Like 1

I'd suggest putting this on your Facebook page. People their seem to delight in telling you what they had for breakfast , lunch and dinner. Snacks too. Some even post photos.

I would, but those folks don't live in Chiang Mai. smile.png

I don't see what this topic has to do with Chiang Mai, or why anyone wants to fascinate us with their eating habits

I'm interested in how others who live here go through their daily lives in Chiang Mai. It's obvious that you are pretty new here so may not realize that we have so many different restaurant threads in the Chiang Mai sub-forum, so it's obvious many of us eat out fairly often here.

I'm interested to know how often that is. We also have so many threads about 'how much does it cost to live here?' and a wide variety of life styles answering those threads too. This is just one facet of that cost.

I can understand you not wishing to participate. Perhaps after you're here awhile, you may be more inclined to join in.

Yes, I can see what you mean. I haven't been here long enough to want to know what people eat. Maybe after another 20 years I will.

Or after 20 years you won't care what other people are interested in. You will just not even open up the thread. Not sure why this bothers you. But you are new stick around and you will slowly get an idea of who is for real and who is just posting for the sake of it.

As for my eating habits I eat a lot of sandwiches. Go out occasionally mostly for Western food occasionally for Thai food. Always have hard boiled eggs on hand for a sandwich. As for cost I don't pay any attention too my total bill. It is not an issue with me. Now if I had that need for the best meal I could possably get it would make a difference. Thank God I don't a tuna fish sandwich with a piece of processed cheese a sliced hard boiled egg and a little bit of sliced ham or some sausage is sufficient for me. Yet I do tend to spend quite a bit when I go out. Which is not a lot maybe average once a week. That dosen't count the average of once a week for rice soup for breakfast off of one of those portable side walk cafes that are closed by 10 in the morning.

One observation I have made over the years is that I can think about the little things in life and not worry that they don't match others. Retirement is wonderful. For Me. Can't say about others.

• Like 2

Perhaps this could be part of the 'Let's meet up once a month to discuss topics' thread.

I'm bricking myself in anticipation. biggrin.png

With a requirement that you must have been here for at least ten years. I've been here for more than 20 and twice in the space of a week I've been told that I haven't been here long enough!

I think FG was referring to ThaiVisa rather than Thailand - i.e. you have a low post count so possibly not aware the amount of thread space wasted with restaurant reviews et al here in the CM forum.

"I think FG was referring to ThaiVisa rather than Thailand - i.e. you have a low post count so possibly not aware the amount of thread space wasted with restaurant reviews et al here in the CM forum."

OMG! If we're counting, the restaurant reviews usually get the most amount of attention so obviously the CM TV community don't think it's wasted space (not that I'm personally interested in such things - 555).

Personally I cook an egg generously provided by one of our birds, usually a duck, on top of brown rice for the family and I add some BBQ catfish or some steamed veggie w/nam pik or whatever we have from the local market or dinner leftovers to satiate my larger appetite.. One of my favs is Fish Egg Tom Yum to really start the day with a kick! This is an example of how we eat most meals, dishes we make with fresh product and prepared food both from the local market to keep it varied and easier while taking advantage of the best of all there is to offer here. We try to eat quite healthy adding organic fruit and veg we grow ourselves to our diet.

I also like to cook Western specialties and shop at Rimping or speciality stores for the ingredients and my GF loves baking all those gooey desserts we remember from back home. I find the prices are much cheaper for most things at the Thai markets and even more so at the ones outside the city, Rumchok for instance compared to Tanin. Then a big twice monthly Macro run for staples like brown rice, diapers, trash bags etc. which come to around 5,000 bht for our family of five.

And then we dine out about once a week for Falang food and another for Thai probably along with my eating lunch out when I'm in town four days a week.

The variety of our eating habits keeps life fun while providing an overall healthy diet with almost no soft drinks or hotdogs etc. and we never have eaten a meal from 7/11! I think that a good balance can be easily found here to meet most budgets.

The problem with eating at low cost Thai food outlets is that they use a lot of MSG and sugar with the food cooked in the cheapest vegetable oils. Not a very healthy way to eat.

That's an interesting point. It will be interesting to see/compare the numbers on a full physical after one year and two years. Being sensitive to MSG we tend to shy away from such places. Oddly enough, we've noticed that the food vendors around Chiang Mai Gate seem to use more than the food vendors outside Chiang Puak Gate, and the indoor places around CMU that cater to the students seem to use more than the indoor places scattered around town.

Traditional Thai food, not the fried fast crap they are eating more of these days, is healthy and helps me keep the weight off.

More fresh veges and lean meat and fish, the rice is just the necessary carbs we need for a balanced diet.

I agree, Western meals make me gain weight and feel sluggish.

The problem with eating at low cost Thai food outlets is that they use a lot of MSG and sugar with the food cooked in the cheapest vegetable oils. Not a very healthy way to eat.

+1

The cheap palm oil is often re-used after it has been cleaned. I read somewhere that they use bleach to do this. Rice = poorest quality polished rice available.

+1

The cheap palm oil is often re-used after it has been cleaned. I read somewhere that they use bleach to do this. Rice = poorest quality polished rice available.

+1 I like a lot of the Thai food that is sold. But it comes in a version with cheap ingredients and additives. Not to mention too much sugar.

Plus I have ditched cauliflower recently even in home cooking. Don't know if anyone else has noticed but however you cook/soak/clean it , it has an incredibly bitter flavour - not normal. Same wherever you buy it.

My girlfriend with whom I've been living for the last 3 months does all the cooking - almost wholly Thai food. I don't eat fish or seafood so it's a mixture of beef, pork and chicken along with various vegetables. Before that, I ate out most of the time eating a mixture of Thai and western food.

I get my cholesterol and blood sugar levels measured later this month (they were slightly high back in march) so it'll be interesting to see how they've changed since then.

Alan

I'd suggest putting this on your Facebook page. People their seem to delight in telling you what they had for breakfast , lunch and dinner. Snacks too. Some even post photos.

I would, but those folks don't live in Chiang Mai. smile.png

I don't see what this topic has to do with Chiang Mai, or why anyone wants to fascinate us with their eating habits

I'm interested in how others who live here go through their daily lives in Chiang Mai. It's obvious that you are pretty new here so may not realize that we have so many different restaurant threads in the Chiang Mai sub-forum, so it's obvious many of us eat out fairly often here.

I'm interested to know how often that is. We also have so many threads about 'how much does it cost to live here?' and a wide variety of life styles answering those threads too. This is just one facet of that cost.

I can understand you not wishing to participate. Perhaps after you're here awhile, you may be more inclined to join in.

Yes, I can see what you mean. I haven't been here long enough to want to know what people eat. Maybe after another 20 years I will.

SEE YOU IN 20 YEARS THEN! TA TA

"Plus I have ditched cauliflower recently even in home cooking. Don't know if anyone else has noticed but however you cook/soak/clean it , it has an incredibly bitter flavour - not normal. Same wherever you buy it."[/quote

I also don't buy cauliflower ever since I found out that the Hill Tribes that grow it won't eat it themselves because of all the chemicals, I think it also applies to broccoli.

As the poster who mentioned that lean meats are used in the dishes here I don't find that but the amounts that are used would help in weight loss. I feel better eating the portion and proportions that are more likely to be found here than back in the USA.

Also be aware that many of the shop used store bought products full of MSG and worse such as pork balls that have borax in them!

Edited by junglechef

I don't see what this topic has to do with Chiang Mai, or why anyone wants to fascinate us with their eating habits, but if it's going to continue I suggest we should at least have photos. I'm not telling, because I happen to think that most people don't care and for those that do, INOYFB. I'm not sure if that's a valid acronym, but I think most people should figure it out.

Well, you have certainly taken a stand in the matter, sadly however I find what the op has to say much more interesting than your mean complaints.

• Like 1

i would be surprised if the typical 30 baht meals are healthy at all. just look at the amount the sodium in soy sauce, fish sauce, the type of oil most vendor use, the usage of sugar, msg. i would imagine a course of 3 meals in typical vendors to easily surpass the recommend daily amount of sodium, sugar. and with the amount of simple carbs and high gi value in each meals, i really fail to see how it represent a healthy balance meal at all. 2 years are barely anything for a long term effects. and that is excluding the probability of getting a good dose of borax and cooking oil older than the eo running in my fil wave

im not sure what are you trying to push here. if the typical 30 bahts meals are a more balanced meal for you compared to home cooking, im really curious what are you cooking and eating before. thats being said, not all home cooking are healthy are all

• Like 2

That's an interesting point. It will be interesting to see/compare the numbers on a full physical after one year and two years. Being sensitive to MSG we tend to shy away from such places. Oddly enough, we've noticed that the food vendors around Chiang Mai Gate seem to use more than the food vendors outside Chiang Puak Gate, and the indoor places around CMU that cater to the students seem to use more than the indoor places scattered around town.

When my café was open, we had signs up "no MSG" in English and Thai and stuck to that - even sauces checked and brought in from afar for tested, quality and ingredients (like no MSG etc). We had a middle aged Thai man and his wife that came in regularly (twice a day in fact) and always asked for MSG to be added (and a lot - they liked the taste of it) - we kept some just for them! They also liked us to fry eggs in the wok and burn them so the white was almost entirely strangle bits of black crisp! No accounting for taste (nice folks though - they still ask when we are reopening :))

i would be surprised if the typical 30 baht meals are healthy at all. just look at the amount the sodium in soy sauce, fish sauce, the type of oil most vendor use, the usage of sugar, msg. i would imagine a course of 3 meals in typical vendors to easily surpass the recommend daily amount of sodium, sugar. and with the amount of simple carbs and high gi value in each meals, i really fail to see how it represent a healthy balance meal at all. 2 years are barely anything for a long term effects. and that is excluding the probability of getting a good dose of borax and cooking oil older than the eo running in my fil wave

im not sure what are you trying to push here. if the typical 30 bahts meals are a more balanced meal for you compared to home cooking, im really curious what are you cooking and eating before. thats being said, not all home cooking are healthy are all

That's why I like the frozen microwave meals from 7-11, they are balanced and the ingredients fixed (and labelled). I eat only at a few good places I know generally - and never at stalls (mostly because they almost always are meat based - or fish laying about for hours in the sun - even that roasted tubtim is caked in so much salt I have to throw most of it away!). OK for a treat once in a while - just as Pizza Hut and KFC (for the kids - not me!)

Well, you have certainly taken a stand in the matter, sadly however I find what the op has to say much more interesting than your mean complaints.

Mean ? I don't think he sounds mean

• Like 1