Thai talk: Low education standards = HIGH CORRUPTION LEVELS

webfact

THAI TALK
Low education standards = HIGH CORRUPTION LEVELS

Suthichai Yoon

BANGKOK: -- Two depressing stories that made the headlines last week should serve as a multiple rude awakening: Thailand's corruption record is getting worse, and the nation's education standards are heading in the same direction.

It's not hard to come to the conclusion that the two issues are irretrievably linked. When our schools fail to produce good, responsible graduates, the character of citizens is necessarily flawed. When the education system goes down the drain, the moral fibre of society inevitably breaks down.

Education Minister Chaturon Chaisaeng admitted last week he was "very concerned" over the latest World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness Report that called Thailand's education standards the worst of the eight members of ASEAN it assessed.

The minister was only reacting to the well-known fact that the country's much-hyped "school reform" had gone nowhere and it was his responsibility to try to draw up a new "national agenda on education" that would hopefully turn things around - admittedly an uphill task, considering the fact that he isn't sure how long he will remain in his post.

On that very same day, a nationwide anti-corruption campaign was being launched, with the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand (ACT) chairman Pramon Sutivong declaring that graft plaguing the country was reaching "mega-critical" proportions.

The education minister didn't use exactly the same words to describe the state of the nation's education, but it was clear he was suggesting things had gone terribly wrong with the system.

"Our teaching method is wrong. Our curriculum is outdated. Our |teachers aren't qualified, and |university graduates, despite having studied English for 12-16 years, can't speak it at all," he lamented.

Anti-corruption fighter Pramon argued that the problem had worsened in the past three years because Thai society as a whole lacked awareness of the importance of tackling graft, while the government appeared not to take the issue seriously.

The "lack of awareness" to counter rampant corrupt practices obviously stems from an education system that fails to inject a sense of integrity and accountability in the minds of students from a very young age.

To blame some businessmen for lobbying hard to secure contracts for state mega-projects with "tea money" and certain media outlets for their failure to take up the issue seriously is probably futile if the businessmen and journalists weren't taught in school about the danger of graft and selfishness.

If our education system is rotten, we can't expect the output to be any better. The quality of our schooling system determines the quality of our politicians, policemen, judges, police and businessmen.

Chaturon has kicked off a series of brainstorming sessions, starting with his ministry's own people before reaching out to the private sector, to gather a wide spectrum of ideas to overhaul the education system. It won't be an easy task and any chance of success will require a strong dose of political will to even jumpstart the process of reform.

He might do well to start by reading proposals already made by various academic and non-profit groups. A good example is the group called Way Forward, whose members meet regularly to exchange ideas on a blueprint for the nation.

Some of their recommendations may offer the minister a launching PAD for his campaign:

- Set up a neutral body, the National Institute for Educational Policy Research, and a Curriculum Research Centre, to investigate all available evidence for use in future educational enhancement. It is crucial that these agencies be independent from political influence.

- Encourage cooperation among all stakeholders, such as private-sector groups, NGOs, parents, social communities and the like, to bring about changes in both micro and macro education systems and tackle the problems of the entire education system simultaneously.

- Create functional and practical means as well as strategies to support education reform.

- Seriously tackle "teacher education" in all aspects to produce qualified teachers. Establish an effective process for teacher-induction programmes.

- Work closely with the Teachers' Council of Thailand to create an innovative framework for teaching professionalism.

- Revise the current mechanism for the "Teacher Leadership" selection process so that competent school principals can be recruited on a regular and sustainable basis.

None of these is earth-shaking to start with. But they are the basic changes that need to be realised before the Thai public can lend any credence to the government's pledge to finally come to grips with unquestionably the country's most important issue: educating the next generation of citizens.

Unless groundbreaking progress is achieved in our schooling system, there is little hope that we can begin to see the battle against corruption, the country's cancer, being won at all.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-12

• Like 1

. . . an education system that fails to inject a sense of integrity and accountability . . .

That's society and the parents job primarily, not the schools . . . but when integrity doesn't exist here in the first place (or perhaps more fairly, rarely), then it's going to be hard to inject that into younger minds. In all fairness however, I do see a lot of the kids now starting to think more independently, being shocked at how the country treats foreign visitors and teachers, but the system itself beats most of that out of them by the time they leave.

• Like 1

Maybe if they are going to review/change things, they can look at the ridiculously low salary they pay Western teachers in Thailand (30K per month or less). How long has this been the standard rate of pay-12 years, 15 years????

• Like 1

Maybe if they are going to review/change things, they can look at the ridiculously low salary they pay Western teachers in Thailand (30K per month or less). How long has this been the standard rate of pay-12 years, 15 years????

Western teachers should not be the solution. They should be the exception.

Thailand never had an educational system with an eye to the future or to the world.

What they have is more in line with prison reprogramming than education and learning.

Inasmuch as Western teachers go, they do not fit in with this Machiavellian form of learning.

Yes! I am saying that this is by contrivance more than by stupidity, but the two exist and there is nothing else.

• Like 2

Education is a funny word and many people do not equate it with learning. The times are changing but the process of learning is not. Learning starts in the home but when we expect an outside influence like a “teacher” to do the job of a parent then the going gets confused and turns into an institutional struggle of what is and what should be. If learning a language is the the criteria it needs to be taught in a way that is fun. Learning by rote is a struggle to say the least and does not promote critical thinking. For example, the system called (total physical response or TPR) should be the first course of action. Just like when we learn our first language when we are little motivation is based on satisfying needs that are important to us. Parents should be the ones that force the issues of the system and confront the individual educators to do the job and not let them blame the child.

We live in an increasing technical world that does everything for us like simple math and spell-check. When we text we use abbreviation or acronyms. We rely on the machines we produce to do the things we had to do for ourselves in the past. The problem with the educational system goes beyond Thailand in countries like the USA.

This article is an example of someone not proof reading their work.

'“ Our |teachers aren't qualified, and |university graduates, despite having studied English for 12-16 years, can't speak it at all," he lamented.”

Edited by CIHUAHUA

"Our teaching method is wrong. Our curriculum is outdated. Our |teachers aren't qualified, and |university graduates, despite having studied English for 12-16 years, can't speak it at all," he lamented.

This is very positive. At least a minister openly admits there is a problem. Now when is he going to make some real, noticeable changes?

It would be better if Way Forward's recommendations explicitly addressed the pupil-teacher ratio. This surely has to be one of the biggest obstacles to effective learning and teaching. There's plenty of money for tablets and iboards while teachers are expected to engage and connect to up to 60 cramped, confined teenagers. It's scandalous. In the West a ratio of 30:1 is considered high.

• Like 2

Dear god I hope SOMETHING positive happens....After teaching here now for nearly a decade, I dont know how may times I have read articles about how the educations system needs an overhaul etc etc etc. I will try to be optomistic, even though the realist in me says that its like shovelling sh*** uphill. There are so many really smart kids at the school I am teaching at the are being let down, that deserve so much better.....

Lets face it, its a real dogs breakfast. I cant really see that, after how ever many god dam_n years I have been trying to teach English conversation, that the level of English is really any better than when I got off the plane in 2001. The majority of the time the kids are stuck with an incompetent Thai English teacher that seems to undermine any work that has been done by me or any other native speaker. English, inspite of it being necessary for AEC communications is NOT taken seriously. They just dont seem to get it, or they dont care or...they dont actually want people to really be able to understand/speak English. Thailand is going to get walked all over by countries like Singapore, countries that get how important English is. There is really NOTHING significant on telly that is presented in English, all the movies are overdubbed...where is the incentive? Its so ridiculous you either laugh or cry. Thankfully I am beyond getting down about it anymore.

Its going to be the usual. Thailand will eventually get around to doing someting.. when the horse has bolted out the gate already! Its the same thing over, and over, and over....Its going to be kind of amusing when the AEC does kick off. The loss of face should kick start some action. Then again, they might spit the dummy and decide they dont want to play anymore..because its just NOT FAIR!

May I suggest they start by asking YOU for some suggestions, you at least seem to care and would appear to have first hand knowledge of the issues.

• Like 1

So this article says that Thai people are bad people because they have bad education. I would disagree strongly with this, they are bad people because they have bad role models, education is at most a secondary factor to this....When rich people and MP's, supposed role models are crooks, gangsters and criminals, what the heck do you expect ?!

• Like 1

to me its just suprising how powerless the normal thai thinks he is. They just roll over and die in many cases that concern governing from the top.

It's like they don;t care or just don;t know that the power is with the people, but if they just do nothing about nothing, who will?

when i ask questions about things like the poor quality of healthcare, clean schools or in this case education , maybe trying to start their own initiative to get better teachers , cleaner dokters offices, dokters who actually really care for more than just selling more pills...etc.etc. I get the strangest looks, even from my wife. Like I can do something about this.

If millions of people see it like this......no one is able to change anything here for a long time i guess. every positive change in history, concerning political systems, came from the people and of course not from the authorities themselves.... wake up Thailand

Edited by jviersel
  • Like 1

The kids AND their parents are to blame.

I work at an International school in Bangkok and the parents could care less if their child attends classes. They have no problem if their child fails a class because they will either pay for them to attend Summer School or they'll complain to the school and we are told by the office to change their grade to a pass. The teachers TRY their best to get the kids to attend class but the kids look at us as if to say......."Why the hell are you talking to us?"

The main reason they send them to the school is so they know where they are during the day.

I've come to the conclusion that, for the most part, Thais DO NOT care.

• Like 2

SInce it is an established fact that Western teachers make absiolutely zero impact in the productive outcome of the Thai educational system, then why not sack those Western teachers for leaching off the system and instead give 30K per month to parents to establish good morals, ethics, etc. into the minds of their children?

Fine the parents when the children do not perform to the established standard. Whip the kids into shape before they enter the educational system, rather than instead enrolling ferel spawn into glorified daycare centers that can't handle the little B@$t@rds, because the parents don't even care enough to bash the crap out of teachers who hit their students with metal rulers on the head that they draw blood?

Or, as I said prior, why bother? Why care about people who pay tribute to scumbags who waste the parent's hard-earned money and waste their children's minds either through neglect and suffering, or through nationalistic re-programming; ...that is, whenever these overlords can manage to tear the student's attention away from their iPhone, iPads, concern over their mascara, hairstyles, pimple popping and sexual pranking, etc?

I am being facetious to an extent, but their is a lot of legitimate truth here. It makes me feel like I am at the zoo, looking over the fence at a bunch of monkeys pandering around in the trees and grass.

This is very positive. At least a minister openly admits there is a problem. Now when is he going to make some real, noticeable changes?

he will be long changed/replaced/fired before (if ever) there will be any change in education here.

I'm thrilled to know that some of my opinions are shared by the Thai media at least.

As cheating/copying/laziness are so ingrained in the Thai schooling system, that it's no surprise when people become adults, that they also look for shortcuts.

Gotta love your post. You said it in two sentences, while I wasted so much more time.-wai2.gif

• Like 1