Street food and cheap eats

madmitch

Having just seen Oilinki's post about favourite Thai foods in Phuket, I thought I would post this,

Where are the best places for noodles and other cheap food? I am not talking about the kind of place in the restaurant thread, this is a level down from that.

I'm based in Karon/Kata, so my favourite cheap places are mainly from this vicinity but here goes:

Pork noodles in Chalong, Patak Road, opposite the street that leads to Homepro's back entrance;

Beef noodles almost next to the Moevenpick in Karon, also on Patak Road;

Fried chicken, mornings only, Karon Plaza area near the five banks on Patak Road

The Phad Thai Shop, well known, on the Kata Karon borders and, you've guessed it, on Patak Road.

Abdul's in Phuket Town, Thalang Road, for great curry and roti.

There must be dozens, if not hundreds of places worth trying so please list your favourites.

From Kata towards Chalong about 20-30m before the circle on the right side (next to a green Pharmacy sign), the chicken rice.

Through the circle towards Phuket Town on Chaofa East, Hua Soi thai kitchen next to the Chalong poilce station.

A bit past the police station next to the purple Siam Commercial bank, the duck noodles.

Down the road past the yellow Ayuthaya bank next to gold shop (big red signs), the prawn/ pork noodles (Chinese-y style; full of Koreans).

Further down the road opposite the Flints-one bakery is the kanom jeen shop (their 'haw mok' to die for).

If you are on Chaofa West road, opposite the Honda showroom (where to road leads towards Kathu/ Wichit Police Station), there is a pork noodle/ rice shop; they serve satay as well.

Patong - Banzaan Market night BBQ. Across the road from the back of Jungceylon.

Starts about 6pm everynight. It's become a minor tourist attraction now with the Russians, Chinese and Indians taking photos of the food being made and eating there.

May favourite there is the 40 baht Pad Thai.

It does not qualify as Street Food, but it is one of my favorite places: Larb Kata on Patak Road, near Wat Kata. Good Isan food for reasonable prices, a dinner with a plenty of Beer Leo will set you back about 200 Baht per person, that is two dishes, rice, and about one big Leo per person.

From Kata towards Chalong about 20-30m before the circle on the right side (next to a green Pharmacy sign), the chicken rice.

Through the circle towards Phuket Town on Chaofa East, Hua Soi thai kitchen next to the Chalong poilce station.

A bit past the police station next to the purple Siam Commercial bank, the duck noodles.

Down the road past the yellow Ayuthaya bank next to gold shop (big red signs), the prawn/ pork noodles (Chinese-y style; full of Koreans).

Further down the road opposite the Flints-one bakery is the kanom jeen shop (their 'haw mok' to die for).

If you are on Chaofa West road, opposite the Honda showroom (where to road leads towards Kathu/ Wichit Police Station), there is a pork noodle/ rice shop; they serve satay as well.

I agree about the chicken rice shop just by the circle being tatsy but they really take the piss with their prices. Just todaythey tried to charge me 100 baht for a chicken and rice special plus a coke. Eventually paid them 70 baht and will not be back. Another case of farang pricing means they have lost a customer who was good for a few visits a week. Som Nom Na as far as I am concerned.

In Chalong opposite Julapan on the corner of the little soi leading to Chalong Bay good place for Khao Kaa Moo, Phat Krueang Gaeng, Phat Krapao etc.

Further down that road towards Phuket town the vegetarian restaurant. Actually there are two, I prefer the second when driving towards town.

Also in Chalong towards Phuket town, just after the police station on the left side is a place with Khanom Jeen and several curries to choose. Have very nice Paloh, Kua Kling.

On Thanon Kwang, the big connection between Chao Fa West and Chao Fa East, when coming from Chao Fa West about 150m after the traffic lights on the right side are a few small stalls. One of them is selling Moo Yaang and Moo Thord. The owners are from the North and always have a few home made Northern food specialties ready for take away, such as Nam Phrik Oong, Nam Phrik Noom.

Further towards Phuket town on Chao Fa East, just a hundred meters after the traffic light with the connection to Chao Fa West, on the left hand side is another great place with curries, that you can choose from around 20 pots.

Not necessarily street food, but right on the street. Mangmoom Bar and Restaurant, Thanon Pisitkoraneee, Patong, Amphoe Kathu, Phuket 83150, Thailand-- the street just North and parallel to Bangla which goes over the hill to Kathu. From the beach, it's on the right about half way between Thanon Rat-U-Thit and the start of the hill.

Great German food; excellent kraut, sausages, potatoes, pork loin, and the Serbian Bean soup with bread is a treat. The Thai food is also very tasty, spicy if you wish, and filling. You won't leave hungry or broke, unless you get caught up in the

Sambuco or Jaergermeister shot rounds.

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier in Patong the Banzaan is the best place for cart food but if you want a step up for not

much more, the Champion Restaurant in front of the new Makro on Nani Rd is fantastic. Great food at very low prices.

Off the beaten path for tourists because it is away from the beach but it is fantastic. Cashew nut chicken is the best in Thailand.

Patong - Banzaan Market night BBQ. Across the road from the back of Jungceylon.

Starts about 6pm everynight. It's become a minor tourist attraction now with the Russians, Chinese and Indians taking photos of the food being made and eating there.

May favourite there is the 40 baht Pad Thai.

Unfortunately it's now a major "tourist attraction" for the Chinese. And they're getting charged more than 'Thai prices' for many things. The missus used to buy some things from some of them when they were located elsewhere before they concentrated at Baanzan, and for some of our 'regulars' the prices have gone up and the quality down.

She told me she bought some bbq pork and chicken skewers there recently for ฿10 each, and stood there and watched them sell the same to the Chinese tourists for ฿20. Phuket is a rip-off everywhere for everything now.

I have been going to the same place for over 4 yrs to have, me Khao Tom yum moo, superb! It's opposite the big Honda dealer which is situated on the turning to get to Phuket country club(new Mazda dealer being built, same road as Wat Chalong, sorry can't write Thai and still don't know the road names!

I am calling it. I just had the best esaarn food of all time.

Its hard to describe exactly where it is but I will do my best.

Chao Fa west road. Opposite the paddock where there is 200 land rovers for sale from Siam Safari. Go down 100 meters on the same side as Rolly Tasker. Its called Rung Nok or something. I think it means Birds Nest?

600 baht for a feast with 2 big bottles of beer. Best somtum ever and the sauces and kor moo yang is to die for. If you think I am wrong just put it on my bin (sexy ivan)

The only thing I can fault the restaurant on is its on a busy road and they didnt have beef ribs

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

40 THB, stewed pork leg pork, egg, rice and soup, plate is huge. 30 THB, 2 fried eggs, moo grop (closest I get to real bacon here), rice on the side and a plate full of fresh garlic and chilli, 10 THB extra for some steamed veg. But you would all have to leave your little safe haven of Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala for that.