goods from overseas thais like

ou812

The make-up was a pretty bad idea indeed, but nothing was worse than the butter.laugh.png

Nok (screeching in anticipation): 'Hello ti-rak, what you bring?'

Thoughtful Giver: 'A stick of butter'.

Nok: 'I don't eat butter'

Thoughtful Giver (wink wink, yok khiw): 'I know'.

• Like 2

Remind me to remove the eyes from those stuffed deer toys I picked up at the airport.

What the hell does that mean ????

so I can give you one.

Do you really think poor people don't like or appreciate gifts that aren't money?

Well you didn't answer my question did you? But however, I think poor people appreciate gifts, WHEN and IF it is something they want or need. Many things WE think they WANT or NEED, are not even on their radar. I've wasted plenty of money in this area. They may be poor, but it doesn't mean they don't have very specific ideas (or taste) about what they like and don't like. Bring some poor person, a pair of jeans that cost $300 in the US, and if they don't fit the way Thais like them, and if nobody knows that brand, they won't wear them!

My ex-MIL, an American lady, got involved with some monks/artists from Nepal, and thought that blinding them with ridiculous luxuries was a great idea. Her standard line was "Well Kumar never even had a pair of shoes until he was 15, so I think that a $1000 set of sheets would really appeal to him", and $500 tickets to the opera, and similar things. Yet the guy had a wife and kids in Nepal living on very little and he couldn't feed them with these things, or benefit them in any way.

Try bringing a bar girl a Chanel suit and see if she likes that. I would like that, but couldn't really find a place to wear it here, most likely. Bring the same girl a pair of Chanel sunglasses, and BECAUSE these are so widely duplicated on the fake market, she will like them and know them. However, if she knows how much they really cost, the REAL ones, she might be upset and say that she would rather have a fake pair, plus $500 in cash ...just depends on if she knows how much the real ones cost. And who will believe they are real?

Stuffed animals, that it seems you bought, well those seem to be a somewhat standard gift here, so maybe someone will like that. I was somewhat shocked to get only things like this from Thai people, for my 40th birthday. Huge 6 inch thick Donald Duck slippers that seem like they are for an Alaskan climate, and could kill me, trying to walk down my stairs, and well, at 40, I wasn't really into to cartoons, but that is what people bought me. I didn't appreciate it, poor or rich. They got used as chew toys for my dogs. I also got giant cartoon pillows, that were meant to put in the back window of my car, so that I could not see a damn thing out the window ...and also, I don't like cartoons. Those also got used as dog beds, or chew toys.The gift giver could not understand why I didn't want to fill my entire back window with those things. I had a few other gifts along those lines. I can only say, that 1) I was shocked by every single gift and how I wouldn't like it, wouldn't use it, and how impractical it seemed to me! 2) I was happy they were the kind of people who even brought me a gift! I think many Thais, think the same about our gifts to them.

I mean, really, poor or rich, Thai or not, people don't use gifts that are useless to them, or they don't like! So, I think it is best to know a person well enough that you have a good chance of buying something they like.

the thing i find curious is i do the exact same thing in reverse, leaving thailand i buy a bunch of trinkets to give as gifts to my nieces/nephews, friends children, friends, work colleges etc. I buy stuff from the deaf girl walking about loikroh and the kids i give them to in Australia love it. i travel a lot, get stuck in some remote places in Australia for a few weeks and get to know some people more than a passer-by, they love those wooden frogs that you run the stick over the back and make that noise, or those Akha hats with the bells on them, especially when you tell them that the hat isn't Thai, it's Akah and you give them the condensed 2 minute story of the Akha.

the funniest thing i had about a month ago, i declared to customs some hair clips my partner purchased for my niece. the lady at customs took them (momentarily) to show some work colleges because of how cool she thought they were as a gift. they were about 20 baht each.

when you see a persons eyes light up at the 2D leather caricature of a kangaroo on a keyring that you just gave them, is it really that crapy? or should I have just given them 5 bucks instead?

somehow though going by this thread, when coming to thailand, there needs to be some judgement made on the social/class demographic, and the monetary value of the gift... otherwise just give them money because really they don't want, need or desire anything else...

or is that just a reflection?

• Like 2

Wow, most of the ideas presented here, other than cash, seem weird to me ...but it would depend on the person/relationship. I'm not clear if you have several g/f's, or you are into many rental g/f's or you are talking about tips for workers, or g/f workers ...or what.

If you have a real g/f, or a few of them, then I guess something you think they would like, as an individual ..which would not be a crappy key chain from an airport. I guess if you want to give something like that as a tip to a hotel worker, or some person like that, but I think they would rather have 100 baht. Even poor people recognize cheap crap as cheap crap though. Kids, okay ...crazy pencils or something, yes. Adults, I think not.

A name-brand make-up, that they won't use, but they like the brand?? I am a female, and if I don't like/need that exact color, or product, it won't be used, and if it won't be used, I don't care what brand it is, it will be a waste. And I would be a bit miffed by some guy who has a supply of lipsticks to give out! Acutally I think the makeup idea is quite bad unless you know EXACTLY what she likes and uses (or hopes to use).

Perfume can be good and a more normal gift to give a woman, and is expensive here, if it is real. If your g/f would rather wear fake perfume for 200 baht, and pocket $35 as well, or would rather have $45 of real perfume (which actually that won't be perfume per se at that price ...let's call it fragrance) who knows?? It also doesn't last long here, I mean, it is really ridiculous, due to the heat. So, small quanties would probably be a better bet, even if it isn't as impressive.

Also, I guess it would depend a lot on the type of person you give the gift too, and mostly how poor they are, or are not. Cheap Seiko watches? If they are really poor, they might prefer a $5 fake, and money. They might not know how much that watch is worth if not fake, or might not care, because everyone will assume it is a fake. And how much are those? I have no idea if they are $25 or $200. But I am not sure that is really considered a stylish watch, especially for ladies, maybe men don't care as much. I think a watch is a piece of jewelry and quite a personal choice. On the other hand, if you hand out watches for tips to waiters, maybe they would like that, but it would be weird!

I think, maybe you should just forget bringing gifts unless you have a few specific people in mind, and know what they would like, and you can get it cheaper in the US, then okay, do it. But otherwise, I think you are just wasting your time and money and luggage space, and could better use the money to give cash, or buy people things they want when you are here.

I appreciate your generous and thoughful nature, but I think looking like a Santa Claus, won't come off here as well as you may think.

You sound like such a nice person, I would address your obvious personal issues before having a go at others. :)

• Like 1

many like wine, cheese, perfume.

Cheese?!? Don't know many Thai who like cheese and only a few more who like wine, and the same goes for chocolate.

But Thai women like skin conditioner products like Clinique. But you would have to ask the ladies what is the current over priced brand favorite du jour.

• Like 2

so I can give you one.

Do you really think poor people don't like or appreciate gifts that aren't money?

Try bringing a bar girl a Chanel suit and see if she likes that. I would like that, but couldn't really find a place to wear it here, most likely. Bring the same girl a pair of Chanel sunglasses, and BECAUSE these are so widely duplicated on the fake market, she will like them and know them. However, if she knows how much they really cost, the REAL ones, she might be upset and say that she would rather have a fake pair, plus $500 in cash ...just depends on if she knows how much the real ones cost. And who will believe they are real?

I remember one time my friend in Bangkok bought his wife some flowers and perfume for Valentines Day. He paid a stupid price in one of the malls as he is terrible with money. His wife shouted at him "why did you spend money on flowers? Flowers grow everywhere in Thailand, you can get them for free." When she opened the perfume she was furious that he had spent so much money. She asked him why he didn't buy a fake bottle and give her the difference in cash? She told him he was stupid, that she knew she could buy it for a fraction of the price on her next visit to Singapore.

• Like 1

somehow though going by this thread, when coming to thailand, there needs to be some judgement made on the social/class demographic, and the monetary value of the gift... otherwise just give them money because really they don't want, need or desire anything else...

or is that just a reflection?

It's true. I learned my lesson many, many years ago on giving flowers as a gift in Thailand. I remember the look on the lady's face when I gave the flowers. And then when the aunt or whoever the relative was there at the time, saw them, the look on her face was enough to tell that I had made a severe cultural mistake. The lady I was visiting told me later that those flowers and the color I chose where usually reserved for funerals and Chinese people believed that giving them was like wishing death upon them! Wow did I ever feel stupid but hey - I didn't know. Thais are quirky so now I never give anything other than fruit or Thai sweets as they are safe.

And yes, some expect that only gold ornaments are suitable gifts. Chocolate is a waste of time. If you give a Thai a nice bar of chocolate from Switzerland and a cheap one from Japan -- they will pick the one from Japan every time because it is more suited to their taste preference and they like the wrapper more.

• Like 1

many like wine, cheese, perfume.

Cheese?!? Don't know many Thai who like cheese and only a few more who like wine, and the same goes for chocolate.

But Thai women like skin conditioner products like Clinique. But you would have to ask the ladies what is the current over priced brand favorite du jour.

The Thais who have been living in Europe for a while now have learned to appreciate cheese. I was surprised when I lived in Europe and often met Thais there on holiday and were open to trying local foods. Some even appreciated blue cheese! Wine? Come on, where have you been? Drinking wine is the new hip thing to do in Thailand. Thais love good red wine. I go to wine bars often and there always a large number of single girls out for a night together enjoying the wine buffet. At the jazz concert last year at Nimm Plaza? (near AIrport Plaza) Thais were buying 2-3 bottles of wine at a time. Chocolate....they don't appreciate good chocolate unfortunately.

• Like 1

Cosmetics work really well especially those little lipstick and eye liner combos you find at airport duty free...if you are transiting thru Seoul or Narita ...any of those cosmetics there are cheaper and even more popular

cosmetics? not a good idea! my wife would throw them at me if i gave her cosmetics. i don't think you know Thai women too well.

Biggest request for me is always cosmetics, specifically face/eye creams. This has the advantage that it's much cheaper in places like the USA. Especially the major brands of course, but you can also get away with gift sets from Body Shop-like stores. Or actual Body Shop even, that too is much cheaper than in Asia.

Also popular: name brand bags and purses; brands like Coach or whatever is trendy this particular year. Or brand name 'anything', actually. It's usually much cheaper than Thailand. Sunglasses, etc.

Also popular: lingerie, brands like Victoria's Secret. Disadvantage of this is that it's pricey, compared to comparable quality items in Thailand. On the plus side, it's easy to carry as it takes up almost no space or weight. wink.png

Also good are gifts for kids (or for people with kids), including sports items. There are some really good sports and outdoors stores around Farangland with items that are crazy hard to find in Thailand, if they have them at all. Also, quality toys from places like Toys R us. (Or even any Walmart or Target has toys that are miles ahead of the crap you find in hypermarkets in Thailand, or much cheaper when compared to Thai Toys R Us stores and Robinsons.)

And candy and chocolates are always good; and easy to hand out to loads of people. Thais typically bring sweets or cakes back from a trip, so this fits well. Not all Thais appreciate chocolate as much as most Westerners do, but the more middle class people tend to appreciate it. And it's the thought that counts.. I sometimes bring insanely sour (by Thai standards) candy just to watch the response. wink.png Which is strange because the same people do eat that sour fruit that's at least as sour if not more so.

And everyone likes M&M's in weird colors, or all the weird candy that's on sale for specific holidays such as Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Easter, etc. There's usually one of those holidays coming up any time of the year, so a good opportunity to get interesting candy.

And finally grab all the magazines from the airline lounge on the way; people do appreciate the glossy fashion magazines. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

In the eighties and nineties , every time we came to Thailand we would bring cooler season fruits like apples and cherries which were really appreciated because they were a novelty. We also bought a lot of other stuff depending on what the family needed. Nowdays these fruit can be found in most supermarkets. We also bought cigarettes (American Marlboro usually) too but now i would not encourage anybody to smoke. It all depends on who the intended recipient is.

If children are involved in receiving gifts, Lego seems to go down well. Very expensive here, and smaller sets quite portable in luggage and not too heavy to put you in excess baggage territory!

Even though T-shirts 2 a penny here (almost!), I have found overseas souvenir T-shirts are well received- I suppose because they are different and practical and may look a bit Hi-So -as though the wearer has been outside Thailand recently!!

The make-up was a pretty bad idea indeed, but nothing was worse than the butter.laugh.png

The butter is for us. The cost of 1 stick of butter in Thailand is more than the cost of 4 sticks that I bring with me. We've 4 months to consume it as well as the cheese. We bring what we want to use and give what the people asked for. We'll bring a few other items and gifts, but mostly we just stock up our house with things that cost too much in Thailand and require a long drive in some cases to obtain which further adds to the cost. We're toward the end of 1317 so we anticipate our usage, and I like to bake bread so butter and cheese are used a lot in our home. My almost 6 year old grandson wants an Ipad, what he'll get is an Acer that works really well and without some of the after market prices the ipad charges for it's crap, so he'll not get what he asked for but what grandmother has decided. As far as makeup it's something I wouldn't bring, but wife will bring a few things in for mom and a cousin and niece. Korean Air gives two 22 kilo bags and a carry on per person as part of fare. We'd be dumb, not to take advantage of it each time we come and bring stuff we're going to use, especially good dark chocolate for me. We all have our vices, it's one of mine