PM Yingluck defends performance in 'challenging' first year

webfact

Working in business in Bangkok it is clear people are now positive about the Government and the investment going forward. The views of TVF's retired and unemployed sloths do not reflect that of the Thai community which matters thankfully.

No doubt a certain sector of Thai business is looking forward to the 2.7tr baht investments, because of the money they will rake off the top and interest payments for 50 years! I'm sure they would feel very positive!

I think during the last floods she was busy with the passport for Thaksin work she was doing. I could be mistaken on this one but I seem to remember the floods and the passport thing overlapped, and she took some heat for it. I don't think she understands the criticisms, I for one have no issue with a glamorous PM with lots of fancy shoes and bling, or even with her jetsetting allover the place. My issue with her is that she isn't doing any of the urgent hard-infrastructure reforms in Thailand when she is here. She could dress like Dolly Parton and drive a platinum Rolls for all I care, if she worked hard for the people of Thailand, and not for overseas crooks-in-hiding.

coffee1.gif

Reason for edit : I can't type for toffee.

And why is that? Because the opposition stick legal barriers in the way of every single thing. And get this..... the opposition who are doing this is great new policy is a 2 trillion infrastructure plan.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Would you believe it.

The Opposition CANNOT invent and stick legal barriers in the way as they are not in power.

If there is a legal barrier that IS in the way then the government is not paying attention to the law and failing to plan properly or legally.

• Like 1

I only ever passed a maths exam once in my high school days and was accused of cheating so imagine my pleasure at pointing out the maths teacher had counted up my marks wrongly !

Anyway the point of this is that even with my limited abiliity I have figured out the government is approaching the end of its second year in office yet only now is producing a report on the first year.

I'm sure all of us can advance good reasons as to why it has taken so long but I'm surprised as lying comes naturally here.

Indeed I noticed that. I was worried we were one year further from an election....

'while the gap between the rich and poor needed to be narrowed'

Yeah right!

'Now everyone will have a decent education and more opportunities will be available to all and not just the ones able to buy their futures via the brown envelope' said the PM in her best speech yet to date blink.png

Working in business in Bangkok it is clear people are now positive about the Government and the investment going forward. The views of TVF's retired and unemployed sloths do not reflect that of the Thai community which matters thankfully.

It is funny though, when I go see my Doctor, who is head of department in one of Bangkok's best private hospitals, and he is highly educated Bangkok citizen of 55~ years old, all he ever says is that this country is doomed unless PTP are kicked out. His opinion is echoed by several other Bangkok professionals such as my lawyer and insurance agent, all highly educated and all born and raised in Bangkok, and all view PTP as the proverbial iceberg that the Titanic was unfortunate enough to meet.

Those people by the way are not "elites" either, they are self-made success stories and they view Yingluck very negatively indeed.

But yeh ok "only unemployed & retired sloths" complain about PTP.

Posted Image

Could it not be argued that your doctor, lawyer and insurance agent are part of a grouping within Thai society which over the years, well educated and successful as they are, have bothered little that a very large number of members of that society have had little or no access to healthcare, insurance or the law.

The masses that support the Shinawatra led parties ( in whatever incarnation) want access to these things. They see PT as their only chance of coming even remotely close to such access.

That hope may be misplaced, the jury is out on that, but unless people like the successful highly educated professionals that you describe ( and I suppose that means the traditional power wielders in Bangkok) show any sign of making such access a reality then the masses will hold to that hope.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It is funny though, when I go see my Doctor, who is head of department in one of Bangkok's best private hospitals, and he is highly educated Bangkok citizen of 55~ years old, all he ever says is that this country is doomed unless PTP are kicked out. His opinion is echoed by several other Bangkok professionals such as my lawyer and insurance agent, all highly educated and all born and raised in Bangkok, and all view PTP as the proverbial iceberg that the Titanic was unfortunate enough to meet.

Those people by the way are not "elites" either, they are self-made success stories and they view Yingluck very negatively indeed.

But yeh ok "only unemployed & retired sloths" complain about PTP.

coffee1.gif

Could it not be argued that your doctor, lawyer and insurance agent are part of a grouping within Thai society which over the years, well educated and successful as they are, have bothered little that a very large number of members of that society have had little or no access to healthcare, insurance or the law.

The masses that support the Shinawatra led parties ( in whatever incarnation) want access to these things. They see PT as their only chance of coming even remotely close to such access.

That hope may be misplaced, the jury is out on that, but unless people like the successful highly educated professionals that you describe ( and I suppose that means the traditional power wielders in Bangkok) show any sign of making such access a reality then the masses will hold to that hope.

As always, the middle ground wins

Well yes I had anticipated the "your friends are ruling elites" type of stuff which is why I explained they were self-made in their careers. I could go further and say that my Doctor who I have listened to his stories for years, is from a working-class Bangkok family. Unless we should ban Doctors and Lawyers altogether, and all go back to the paleolithic era, I don't see how we can prejudice against people just because they are educated and hard working in high-flying careers. Yes life is not fair, wear a helmet. We can't all have great jobs. But that doesn't mean people in those jobs are not nice people or have a right to their opinions.

Secondly. On every occasion I have spoken to these people, the same message comes out. "The poor in the North need help." This is a constant almost to the point of being a tedium. All these professional Bangkok people who I know (I don't claim to know many, as I have a small and restricted life) are patriotic Thais, they love Thailand and they love ALL Thai people. They want reforms and improvements for the poor in the North and here in the city too. The Doctor especially, his job is saving lives, why would he ever wish to see people suffering in the North.

That does not mean they should support PTP. That party is ruled by a billionaire criminal and his very affluent sister, and several of the high rank PTP are also extremely rich. They are not Robin Hood, more like the Sheriff of Nottingham. They've been in power for years and I can not name any improvements in that time for the poorest in Thailand, be that North or anywhere else.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

I never said "your friends are the ruling elites",nor did I suggest for a second that doctors or lawyers should be abolished. I accept what you say about your friends opinions or backgrounds, but the fundamental point remains that nothing has really been done to address these issues by successive governments. PT are perceived by the electorate as providing the only hope of change. Leave aside much of the ranting on this forum, but remember what we were hearing when PAD were making the running - buffalos,, too stupid to be allowed the vote etc.

That is identified by many of the electorate rightly or wrongly as the views of the "ruling elite". Until that perception is changed then PT will remain dominant. That change can only come from people like the friends you describe.

• Like 2

I think during the last floods she was busy with the passport for Thaksin work she was doing. I could be mistaken on this one but I seem to remember the floods and the passport thing overlapped, and she took some heat for it. I don't think she understands the criticisms, I for one have no issue with a glamorous PM with lots of fancy shoes and bling, or even with her jetsetting allover the place. My issue with her is that she isn't doing any of the urgent hard-infrastructure reforms in Thailand when she is here. She could dress like Dolly Parton and drive a platinum Rolls for all I care, if she worked hard for the people of Thailand, and not for overseas crooks-in-hiding.

coffee1.gif

Reason for edit : I can't type for toffee.

And why is that? Because the opposition stick legal barriers in the way of every single thing. And get this..... the opposition who are doing this is great new policy is a 2 trillion infrastructure plan.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Would you believe it.

I'm sure PTP are really annoyed at having to obey the law. They were elected and want to do what they want. They do often try to ignore the law, and sometimes succeed.

• Like 2

remember what we were hearing when PAD were making the running - buffalos,, too stupid to be allowed the vote etc.

Do you remember when that was said and whether or not it was actually accepted and became policy?

I'll save you the trouble.

It didn't, but that doesn't stop people from posting the lie that falsely implies it did.

Edited by Tigre101

remember what we were hearing when PAD were making the running - buffalos,, too stupid to be allowed the vote etc.

Do you remember when that was said and whether or not it was actually accepted and became policy?

It didn't, but that doesn't stop people from posting the lie that falsely implies it did.

Sondhi did say it. The fact that it didn't become policy is rather irrelevant.

You're wrong, but do you have a quote that proves otherwise?

Edit:

It's ok if you don't as the "but, but PAD" anthem was initially inserted off-topically in a thread on Yingluck's feeble attempt to defend her indefensible non-performance.

Edited by Tigre101

Edit:

It's ok if you don't as the "but, but PAD" anthem was initially inserted off-topically in a thread on Yingluck's feeble attempt to defend her indefensible non-performance.

He did talk of limiting voting to an education level. He even talked about Thai people in general not being ready to vote since they weren't educated enough. One scary interview he did with Crispin talked about "his people", the Chinese bangkok middle class.

That was rapidly retracted too.

It was widely quoted. I will try to look it up. He rapidly retracted it, but it did come out if his mouth. There are a lot if very extreme right wing views available from supposedly educated bangkok people. I stood at rbsc and was frightened to hear the crap spouted by some people.

I reconcile it by remembering that 90% of them had rice farmers for dad's.

QUOTE "JAG" post="6860863"

UNQUOTE

Edit:

He did talk of limiting voting to an education level. He even talked about Thai people in general not being ready to vote since they weren't educated enough. One scary interview he did with Crispin talked about "his people", the Chinese bangkok middle class.

It was widely quoted. I will try to look it up. He rapidly retracted it, but it did come out if his mouth. There are a lot if very extreme right wing views available from supposedly educated bangkok people. I stood at rbsc and was frightened to hear the crap spouted by some people.

Thank you for confirming that he did NOT say what JAG said he heard about "buffalos [sic],, too stupid to be allowed the vote"

We can get back to the topic now of Yingluck defending her performance two years late.

Edited by Tigre101

QUOTE "JAG" post="6860863"

UNQUOTE

Edit:

Thank you for confirming that he did NOT say what JAG said he heard about "buffalos [sic],, too stupid to be allowed the vote"

We can get back to the topic now of Yingluck defending her performance two years late.

Um. The speeches on stage at that time said some pretty horrendous things.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/JI09Ae01.html

"The rural people lack information"??? And what? Bangkokians are some kind of political heavy weights?

"The rural people lack information"??? And what? Bangkokians are some kind of political heavy weights?

The words used in the article were not nearly as horrendous as the actions by Samak described in the same article.

Actually, he said rural people lack access to information, which seems to be a reasonably accurate description. They do.

But anyway, as said, we're drifting further away. Just wanted to correct the misinformation JAG was saying. That's done, so we can resume discussing Yingluck's performance or lack thereof.

The words used in the article were not nearly as horrendous as the actions by Samak described in the same article.

Actually, he said rural people lack access to information, which seems to be a reasonably accurate description. They do.

But anyway, as said, we're drifting further away. Just wanted to correct the misinformation JAG was saying. That's done, so we can resume discussing Yingluck's performance or lack thereof.

Not much to discuss. She's proven herself clueless.

Edit:

I agree with your points. I also agree with JAG who is trying to balance what is currently an unworkable situation. My feelings is that Abhisit was not a great PM, he showed incredible restraint and patience in 2010 and I respect him a lot for that, but his party was not a TGV of reforms either. The problem we have the last decades is that its a choice between two failed parties, and Thais have the sorrowful choice of voting for the least evil of the two parties. The problem is that when they voted for PTP they got the wrong one, Darth Vader-wise. But anyone with an ounce of sense can see Thailand will only move forward when entirely new leaders and even a new party, take the helm and start the no-brakes reform process. And again the problem with this event actually occuring, is that Thailand is not a democracy, vested interesets and backroom deals are still what determine leaderships, whereas in a true democracy for example a head-nurse who worked at saving lives for 30+ years could run for PM, and they might make the best PM ever because they are level-headed, thoughtful and compassionate. The best political leaders always had a long career outside politics, working in the critical sectors such as industry or health, and had become grounded in the society and life-in-general before they entered the bubble. The worst leaders are always the ones who never really worked, or were groomed for politics, or worked in the Media, before running for elections. Thailand needs a rational and honest leader who has worked in the important parts of society for decades, before they even thought about running for PM.

You are delusional. The business people I know in Bangkok despise tis government or their corruption and self-serving attitude yet thankful that they can still pay a pittance in tax. It is he duality of Thailand, Land of Smiles and Land of (Bull) <deleted>.

It is challenging! It is challenging to time your disappearances to happen about the time when you are physically needed in person to handle/face/lead those issues. And also a very tough challenge spinning stories and justifying those wonderland trips, to justify and make them look like 'official' trips.