Drunk tourists 'saving' lorises off Phuket streets, says animal rescue worker

webfact

Drunk tourists 'saving' lorises off Phuket streets, says animal rescue worker
Claire Connell

1380168328_1.jpg
A tout on Bangla Road was arrested with this loris yesterday morning.

PHUKET: -- An animal rescue worker involved in educating people about the plight of slow lorises on the island has spoken out about the local trade, and revealed tourists are buying the animals from touts in well-intentioned but misguided attempts to save them, sometimes paying up to B40,000.

Petra Osterberg, a volunteer with the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project in Thalang and the Phuket Loris Rescue Co-ordinator for the Bangkok-based Love Wildlife Foundation, spoke to The Phuket News today (September 26) about the slow loris trade, which has been thrust into the spotlight after R&B singer Rihanna posted a photo on Instagram of herself with one of the animals on Bangla Rd.

Many of the lorises were brought to the Gibbon centre by tourists, who “on a drunken night out in Patong” had purchased a loris to rescue them from being exploited, Miss Osterberg said.

“Recently, we took in a loris that a tourist had paid B40,000 for, and their intention was to rescue it. They’d negotiated while they were probably drunk, and they just wanted the best for the animal.”

She said B40,000 was at the extreme end of the scale – the average selling price was around B10,000 – but touts would try and get as much money as possible from the tourists.

Miss Osterberg said there were currently seven lorises at the Gibbon centre. An additional 50 to 60 lorises are being kept at the Department of National Parks Phang Nga reserve. These animals cannot be returned to the wild, and need “long term captive care” because of their teeth being clipped – to prevent them biting tourists – often causing infections or damage, which need regular care.

One vet in a remote part of Thalang saw one or two pet lorises per month at the clinic, she said.

“To me that indicates we could be talking about 100 or more in private ownership that are being illegally kept as pets. It’s not just the photo shoots – they are the tip of the iceberg.”

Miss Osterberg said the slow loris “explosion” on Phuket began around 2011.

“It’s a very recent problem considering how large it is now. Rescue centres and authorities aren’t equipped to deal with this sudden explosion,” Miss Osterberg said.

Miss Osterberg said Bangla Rd in Patong was the most popular location for the touts, and there was a “flow of lorises” to this area. However there have been reports of sightings in Kata and Karon.

Miss Osterberg said she posted The Phuket News story of Rihanna on the Facebook pages of both animal rescue groups she worked with.

“I was surprised at the reaction. There was a lot of angry reaction from people aware of the trade, but who perhaps would not have reacted like this if the photo had been of a regular person.

“I’m convinced we need to use this [Rihanna’s photo] to our advantage to educate more people about the loris. We don’t get this opportunity very often, and I’m hoping this will help us reach a wider audience. Thanks to her this issue is getting international attention, even from people who haven’t been interested before.”

Rihanna was “no more to blame than the millions of other tourists” who had their photos taken with lorises, she said.

Education for tourists was key, she added, but also education for officials – many of whom she believed knew the loris was endangered but did not know details of its plight. She also said it was important to educate tourists before they arrived on the island and went into “holiday mode”.

“There’s not a simple solution” she said, when asked about what the long term solution was for getting the lorises off the streets of Phuket.

Because lorises are small, they can be hidden easily by touts when police or volunteers approach – there’s also the threat of violence towards those trying to help the lorises.

“It’s known that people get threats. When people go in to get photos of the lorises for education purposes, they [the touts] can turn quite aggressive.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/drunk-tourists-‘saving’-lorises-off-phuket-streets-says-animal-rescue-worker-42097.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-26

• Like 1

How stupid is this? Enforcing a principle merely for the purpose of enforcing a principle, yet with absolutely no support to provide for the ones being "saved" or "rescued"; rather instead sending them to worse conditions.

Has anyone asked the lorises what he thinks about it? After all, most of these animals are so domesticated that it really makes no difference whether they are kept by attentive owners, or kept by insincere idealists who sleep good at night because they enforced a principle merely for the purpose of enforcing a principle... and give a damn after that.

• Like 2

How would you possibly know that they are " Drunk " , hardly likely . It would be far easier selling the Scam to a Sober Female ( Generally )

Or a Sober Wild Life Fanatic .

Im guessing the Assumption is because If the Animal is brought in at 3am ..There simply are no Sober Tourists .

BUT ..if I'd had a nice night in the Bars , and was Walking home ..There is NO WAY you'd get me for 10,000 to Save the Possum ! lol

However , I wish the animals well .

• Like 1

I can only congratulate these people, an say THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I only wonder why they have to be called " DRUNK " ????

There is no time - no place - no condition - etc -

For having a good hart !!!

Thanks again !!

Denis

Because this ridicules high price would only a drunk person pay.

You need to think a bit further (I know it's hard for some people)... If selling loris makes that much money even more will be hunted!

Don't buy any and don't pay for taking pictures! Call the tourist police if you want save them.

I can only congratulate these people, an say THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I only wonder why they have to be called " DRUNK " ????

There is no time - no place - no condition - etc -

For having a good hart !!!

Thanks again !!

Denis

Having a kind heart doesn't mean you have to throw your brains out of the window.

Every loris bought by a 'sympathiser' encourages the vendors to obtain more. And lorises in the wild where they belong will, become rarer and rarer.

• Like 2

They really need to punish the touts more severely. If the tourists are now buying them to 'rescue' them... that just means that more will be taken from the wildlife because now there is a demand for them and tourists are paying 40,000 a pop... ugh...dry.png

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I have to agree with a lot of comments on my comment.

Bying them is not the real solution !!!

EVERYONE stop taking pictures

EVERYONE stop buying ivory

EVERYONE stop buying snake leather bells-shoes - .........

EVERYONE stop buying etc etc etc etc

If ever, I get reborn, I want to be a VEGETERIAN !

I tried it, but I kept loosing kilo's !

But these " drunk " people, gave a sign of beeing good hearted !

So , PLEASE , don't make a fool out of them.

SORRY if I make spelling mistakes, I am Belgium and not used to write English.

Greatings,

Denis

• Like 2

Rihanna did the best thing a single person has ever done for the lorises in Thailand. These tourists and locals that are buying them are making matters much worse.

She had a photo taken with one, right? How is that the best thing a single person has ever done for lorises in Thailand? Or are you puking irony over us all ;)

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I have to agree with a lot of comments on my comment.

Bying them is not the real solution !!!

EVERYONE stop taking pictures

EVERYONE stop buying ivory

EVERYONE stop buying snake leather bells-shoes - .........

EVERYONE stop buying etc etc etc etc

If ever, I get reborn, I want to be a VEGETERIAN !

I tried it, but I kept loosing kilo's !

But these " drunk " people, gave a sign of beeing good hearted !

So , PLEASE , don't make a fool out of them.

SORRY if I make spelling mistakes, I am Belgium and not used to write English.

Greatings,

Denis

"But these " drunk " people, gave a sign of beeing good hearted !

So , PLEASE , don't make a fool out of them."

Most drunks, especially those paying Baht 40,000 to save the world one tiny animal at a time, need no help in being made to look foolish.

And it's really not a great deal different from the "kind hearted" people who buy cute puppies or kittens or chicks or bunnies from the market and, after a few months when the cuteness wears off, they dump them on the street to fend for themselves. Those animals are supposedly domesticated and not as rare, but they still suffer for the self-absorbed stupidity of those who don't think about what they are doing.