Flood Chart. for real or just another job

Gonzo the Face

Do the good folks who do the reading and posting on the flood chart work the same hours that banks do??

Its almost 8 AM and we haven't had a posting since 6 PM last night.

Supposedly there is a typhoon due to hit us today, if the weather forcasters can be believed and are not in the same union; there has been a lot of rain scattered around us in the last week or so and the areas to the south are getting some serious flooding.

While I can appreciate how hard it is to look at the pole and then push some keys on the computer, couldn't it be possible to get a little more attention in the getting to be critical times.

Those of us on the river do have a little interest in this.

• 3 weeks later...

By way of update...... the river is on the rise !!!!

No thanks to the inefficient, and non caring flood chart folks ...... who have now posted [as of the time of this post]

3 times in the past 24 hrs + ....

The river has risen about 1.4 metres in this time but the chart people are just not doing their job.

The river is just a few cm from coming out of its banks by me and very possibly may be over the banks by Nong Hoi.....

So heads up guys

G

Just as an aside..... maybe someone should tell the guys on the new dam and locks south of the city, now would be a good time to close the locks and thereby lower the water level of the river.....5555555 I still wanna see that one work

Edited by Gonzo the Face

No thanks to the inefficient, and non caring flood chart folks ...... who have now posted [as of the time of this post]

The river has risen about 1.4 metres in this time but the chart people are just not doing their job.

The river is just a few cm from coming out of its banks by me and very possibly may be over the banks by Nong Hoi.....

So heads up guys

G

Just as an aside..... maybe someone should tell the guys on the new dam and locks south of the city, now would be a good time to close the locks and thereby lower the water level of the river.....5555555 I still wanna see that one work

How exactly is that contraption supposed to work?

Edited by butterisbetter

So heads up guys

G

I'm sorry to say, but you probably wouldn't understand

You must be a Thai Engineer with a degree in politics to understand the physics of the program

There is no way a logical westerner can explain or understand it

Hi Gonzo , can you post the link to the flood charts ?

The old link a have is only working when there is a crisis.

http://www.hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Try this one........ but it may also only be in use after it is under water..... too active in the posting ,,,, they aren't

http://hydro-1.net/08HYDRO/HD-06/HOURLY.html?id=61

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Gee whiz batman...... living here on the river for 18 years now I don't recall ever seeing the river as a mud ditch, and it surely would have been a lot cheaper to widen your log jam point than to put in the expensive locks soley for the benefit of the 3 or 4 river boats owners that run between the 2 locks, wouldn't it ???

Lesson learned..... don't let so called flood engineers any near toothpaste , regardless of the cap , until they are taught on which end to use the toothbrush.

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Gee whiz batman...... living here on the river for 18 years now I don't recall ever seeing the river as a mud ditch, and it surely would have been a lot cheaper to widen your log jam point than to put in the expensive locks soley for the benefit of the 3 or 4 river boats owners that run between the 2 locks, wouldn't it ???

Lesson learned..... don't let so called flood engineers any near toothpaste , regardless of the cap , until they are taught on which end to use the toothbrush.

About 30 years ago before they had the dams I actually walked across the river just about where your place is and only got a very little wet when I missed in jumping a puddle.

• Like 1

..... maybe someone should tell the guys on the new dam and locks south of the city, now would be a good time to close the locks and thereby lower the water level of the river.....5555555 I still wanna see that one work

I'm sorry to say, but you probably wouldn't understand

You must be a Thai Engineer with a degree in politics to understand the physics of the program

There is no way a logical westerner can explain or understand it

Ok you rocket appliance geniuses. Let me try to explain. facepalm.gif

You see, you actually open the gates when the river is running high to let the water discharge. The new gates have a higher discharge capacity than the old ones did. The old gates, when fully open, were a choke point or bottleneck immediately south of the city during the 2011 flood. Replacing them with greater discharge capacity removes this bottleneck and so allows the river to handle more water before flooding.

The reason the dam is there is so it can be closed during the dry season to prevent the river from becoming a mud ditch and to allow boats to continue to float.

If you need any help figuring out how to get toothpaste out of the tube when those silly Thais have put caps on all of them, PM me and I'll get you sorted out. smile.png

Lesson learned: Don't let restaurateurs anywhere near flood control operations.

Wasn't aware that there ever were any gates.. On the other hand, I was well aware that there were lots of gratuitously nasty posters on Thaivisa. Didn't need you to offer yourself up as an example. .

Edited by butterisbetter
  • Like 1

Gratuitously nasty! Oh dear. Here I thought I was posting a light-hearted chastisement. I guess it's the usual hazard of email and forum conversations where tone and intent can be projected or assumed that just wasn't there in the original. The intent was to call you guys out on the Thai bashing that was creeping into this thread (mostly Gonzo, who knows who I am in real life), and to do so with good cheer and a gentle ribbing. Sarcasm is risky when written. I'll try to avoid it.

Anyway, they didn't close the gates to let the water out, the river did not crest over its banks, and my bet is that that's the closest we will get to flooding this year. We can carry on enjoying our lives of mostly good cheer and good fortune. Maybe I'll swing by for one of your most excellent reuben sandwiches today. Jeez, I sure hope the big G will still let me have all that gravy on his chicken-fried steak. wai.gif

Does anyone know if the Flood Chart people is something that is run by the government or is it done as a part-time hobby by some group?

Its now just a few minutes before 9AM on Monday the 20th and there has been no report since noon yesterday. ..... and this has been a period that within the past 48 hrs , did show a very rapid rise in the river level.

It also strikes me as being a hobby for some group as there does not seem to be a consistancy in the recording level accuracy. I have been on this river for just about 18 years now and including the big 2005 flood. If any concerned person, that may be affected by the flooding is interested in protecting his property and possessions, they will quickly learn to watch all indicators.

I strongly believe that something is amiss on this years reporting, either it is just guessing or just plain misreading. There always has been a connection with the San Sai levels and the Ping. I have come to learn that a FC reading historically of 2.7 will have the river just starting to come out of the banks behind my place. A reading of 3.7 puts water on the lip of my office doorway. The last few days have shown readings of 2.8+ and the water still had not come over the river bank.

I strongly suspect that someone is just going thru the motions with the readings and is not very dedicated to or taking pride in their job performance. Not much value in looking at the flood chart and seeing no updates for 12 hrs or more , then looking at your feet and seeing that the river is out of the banks, then going back to the flood chart and finding that someone then went and filled in all of the previously unfilled 12 or 18 hourly reporting blocks.

Maybe it is really just a hobby job for someone.

G

correction required..... now it is a couple minutes after 9AM and the 6AM postinng has been put up...... If they put it up at 9AM why don't they post it as the 9AM reading....... surely it does not take 3 hours from the reading of the post or meter and then to get to the computer to enter the number on the site....... well I guess you have to allow for a coffee after all the hard work reading the level

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Gratuitously nasty! Oh dear. Here I thought I was posting a light-hearted chastisement. I guess it's the usual hazard of email and forum conversations where tone and intent can be projected or assumed that just wasn't there in the original. The intent was to call you guys out on the Thai bashing that was creeping into this thread (mostly Gonzo, who knows who I am in real life), and to do so with good cheer and a gentle ribbing. Sarcasm is risky when written. I'll try to avoid it.

Anyway, they didn't close the gates to let the water out, the river did not crest over its banks, and my bet is that that's the closest we will get to flooding this year. We can carry on enjoying our lives of mostly good cheer and good fortune. Maybe I'll swing by for one of your most excellent reuben sandwiches today. Jeez, I sure hope the big G will still let me have all that gravy on his chicken-fried steak. wai.gif

Well-intentioned sarcasm probably can't work well anonymously. That said, people who get angriest when their intelligence is called into question, probably are the most deserving of being called on it. So I will have to retreat to my cave and brood about this. Anyway, any animus I may have harbored has evaporated. Wait a minute! Evaporated is a 5 syllable word. At least it is if I have five toes on my right foot. Five syllables! In the words of the philosopher Fredo Corleone, " I'm smart. Not like everybody says...like dumb."

About 30 years ago before they had the dams I actually walked across the river just about where your place is and only got a very little wet when I missed in jumping a puddle.

OK Harry, I take it is all accuracy and knowing how honest a person you are, that in actuality what you did was walk across the Worrorot Foot Bridge, across the river and it was raining.......tongue.png