The best Indian restaurant in Chaing Mai

pinkpanther99

I don't think that there is a "best" Indian restaurant in Chiang Mai, but there are a bunch of acceptable ones. I like the Kabab House and Royal India near The UN Irish Pub as they are as good as others, but less expensive.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

went to one recently but don't know the name of it unfortunately. think it's four words of three letters each or so and is on nimmanhaemin soi 11, just across from the beerrepublic place and about 30 yards nearer to nimman itself. sign out front says 'western, thai, indian food'. best indian meal i've had in chiang mai by a distance, knocked spots off previous curries from new delhi and royal india. decent value for money as well.

That place on Nimmanhaemin Soi 11 is fairly new. The sign also says 'Arabic food." I've yet to try it as they do not open for lunch, only dinner. They don't seem to draw much of a crowd but I sure hope it works. That's on the same street as Why Not Italian Restaurant, which is pretty darn good, but also does not open until 5 PM.

That place on Nimmanhaemin Soi 11 is fairly new. The sign also says 'Arabic food." I've yet to try it as they do not open for lunch, only dinner. They don't seem to draw much of a crowd but I sure hope it works. That's on the same street as Why Not Italian Restaurant, which is pretty darn good, but also does not open until 5 PM.

that's the one. one of the lads who plays for chiang mai cricket club is involved in it and the food there was excellent on our visit a couple of weeks ago. will definitely be going back.

New Delhi restaurant. Near UN Irish pub.

Whenever I tried it the owner was always away and the food awful!

Then he comes back, apologizes for a while, then trots off again.

Very inconsistent. sad.png

Never had that problem myself. Having said that i only stop there when Ravi the owner is in. And haven't been in a while to be fair.

Always great when we've been though.

Edited by DaamNaam

New Delhi restaurant. Near UN Irish pub.

Whenever I tried it the owner was always away and the food awful!

Then he comes back, apologizes for a while, then trots off again.

Very inconsistent. sad.png

I had the same experience.I just gave up after a few tries.

royal indian used to be very good and had one of the best samosa i ever tasted .the staff there are the same, at least the ones that i see, so im not entirely sure what happened. im pretty sure they are related to kebab house, had the taste of kebab house changed as well?

royal indian used to be very good and had one of the best samosa i ever tasted .the staff there are the same, at least the ones that i see, so im not entirely sure what happened. im pretty sure they are related to kebab house, had the taste of kebab house changed as well?

They are the same family; both places. Very nice people who have been here for many years. Obviously some of the children were born here. Nothing has changed. I go to both of them. I must admit I was shocked when I passed by the kitchen at RI one time a few years back on the way to the toilet and couldn't believe how dirty it was. I didn't go back for a while but in time, got over it. I've been told that things are even worse in India!

I have tried most of the Indian restaurants in CM. The only one I've found which is worth going back to is Hinlay, which offers a consistent high standard of food at reasonable prices.

I completely agree. I've tried pretty much every Indian restaurant in CM, and the only one I return to regularly is Hinlay.

It's not classically Indian (many of their curries originate from elsewhere), but the food is delicious and the Chicken Phaal is an absolute winner.

Took this thread a while to get round to Hinlay, which is IMHO consistently the best Indian curry shop in town.

I have a friend who does not like the place for he says All their curries taste the same.

Never have I heard a more rubbish view, not only Indian but Malay food and all are well cooked.

Nice owners who are only too happy to chat to the customers.

john

Would have a take out today,Meals on Wheels, but they are closed until Monday 07th.

I will have to try Hinlay now that I know where it is (on the way to Bake and Bite). I have tried them through Meals on Wheels once or twice, but never been to the actual restaurant. i thought that their curries were decent, but no better than some of the other places. I may be more impressed if I have them straight from the stove.

If anyone comes across a decent biryani then please do advise. I have tried most places listed here but no luck but not much easier to find in India.

Muslim ladies at Pratu Chiang Mai who have been there for many years. That's my favorite. And they are open until midnight which is an extra plus.

Because Hinlay has been cheerleaded on this website before I checked it out. Had lunch there at least 3 times. I think the food they serve, while OK, can not be considered

Indian. No naan on the menu. Daal isn't up to snuff. The last time I was there naan was on special, and it was pretty weak. No Indians working there?

Nice atmosphere and seems cleaner than two of the places at Zoey Corner. Prices reasonable. The last time and final time I went for lunch I got a healthy dose of attitude from the

person taking my order and the food isn't good enough to overcome that kind of BS.

aha! someone who knows what indian food is. a rarity in this thread, methinks. giggle.gif

Edited by samsara
  • Like 1

Because Hinlay has been cheerleaded on this website before I checked it out. Had lunch there at least 3 times. I think the food they serve, while OK, can not be considered

Indian. No naan on the menu. Daal isn't up to snuff. The last time I was there naan was on special, and it was pretty weak. No Indians working there?

Nice atmosphere and seems cleaner than two of the places at Zoey Corner. Prices reasonable. The last time and final time I went for lunch I got a healthy dose of attitude from the

person taking my order and the food isn't good enough to overcome that kind of BS.

It's definitely not Indian. It's Thai with an Indian spin to it. But it's different than regular Thai food and it's good. It is very clean there. I've ordered garlic naan every time I've been there and they always have it so not sure why you can't get it. They have always been very friendly when I have been there. But anything can happen if someone is having a bad day.

The g/f hates Indian food but loves the different very spicy Thai 'gaeng' they have there.

Edited by elektrified

It's definitely not Indian. It's Thai with an Indian spin to it. But it's different than regular Thai food and it's good. It is very clean there. I've ordered garlic naan every time I've been there and they always have it so not sure why you can't get it. They have always been very friendly when I have been there. But anything can happen if someone is having a bad day.

The g/f hates Indian food but loves the different very spicy Thai 'gaeng' they have there.

Someone sitting not too far from me during her lunch break, once said she'd never eat Indian food.....until she tried it!

Sent you pm (sometimes that red thing doesn't show up)

No expert on any food but there is a small Indian food place across the street on Loi Kroh from the Donghtawan hotel that I really liked. Been a while as the servoce was really bad. Am going to go back as they still seem to be open so the service must have improved.

Like Spice in the night Bazaar as they have several different naan bread and about 10 different chicken cooked the tandoori way. The Wife likes it as they have enough Thai dishes to please her.

Hinlay seems to have stood the test of time and consistency is certainly not prevalent among restaurants of a similar nature.

Haven't been to Hinlay's in a couple of years, but my recollection was that they were cooking their curries in advance in bulk and then reheated individual servings for customers, and that with the exception of the vindaloo the curries were very bland. Has that changed? Only good thing that I remember about the place was that they served the food quickly.

Edited by AngelsLariat