Crackdown On Noisy Traffic

george

Noisy traffic campaign

BANGKOK: -- The Pollution Control Department will launch another campaign to mitigate noise pollution from traffic, focusing mainly on motorcycles.

From May 1, a checkpoint will be set up in front of the Army Stadium on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway to inspect vehicles emitting excessive noise.

The campaign is being run by the department, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, traffic police, the Land Transport Department and private firms.

At the same time, the Environmental Quality Promotion Department will campaign to raise awareness about the negative impact of noise pollution, especially from motorcycles.

--Bangkok Post 2006-04-27

Noisy traffic campaign

BANGKOK: -- The Pollution Control Department will launch another campaign to mitigate noise pollution from traffic, focusing mainly on motorcycles.

From May 1, a checkpoint will be set up in front of the Army Stadium on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway to inspect vehicles emitting excessive noise.

The campaign is being run by the department, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, traffic police, the Land Transport Department and private firms.

At the same time, the Environmental Quality Promotion Department will campaign to raise awareness about the negative impact of noise pollution, especially from motorcycles.

it is at least a start, let's appraoch it positive!! But to blame only the motorcycles is not fair because there are lots of cars and lorries driving at 80-100 kms/h. (and more!) during the late evening hours/night at the top of their RPM's causing noices like on a racing circuit (Ram Inthra). I think also the police are random checking because I saw them somewhere with a decibel meter checking lorries.

Noisy traffic campaign

it is at least a start, let's appraoch it positive!! But to blame only the motorcycles is not fair because there are lots of cars and lorries driving at 80-100 kms/h. (and more!) during the late evening hours/night at the top of their RPM's causing noices like on a racing circuit (Ram Inthra). I think also the police are random checking because I saw them somewhere with a decibel meter checking lorries.

Noisy traffic campaign

worse is that they use the horn at 3am when they come home so someone can open the garage for them....

Telling everyone where the checkpoint will be is a brilliant idea,

then they all know where to avoid. :o:D

I agree that its a start but surely a better policy would be to get police to pull over offenders where and when they come across them and not just at one checkpoint.

I recall being sat in my garden in Chanthaburi about 700 M south of the Sukhumwit Highway when I heard what sounded like a fart coming from the Trat direction. Gradually it got louder and louder and as it passed even from 700M away the noise was deafening. Al in all before it finally faded out of earshot I heard the truck (I'm assuming it was a truck) for around 10 minutes.

I agree that its a start but surely a better policy would be to get police to pull over offenders where and when they come across them and not just at one checkpoint.

That's far too sensible - and would turn into yet another money-making scam for the BIB and yet another wallet-emptier for the "big bike" lovers! Eh, DaveT?

Why just concentrate on Bangkok? Phuket is rampant with large, ear-splitting, smoke-belching trucks as the "development" of the island spirals at a feverish pace. I spent two hours driving on major roads today and it was a bit of a nightmare :o