Thai Army helicopter hits power lines, crashes

webfact

Army helicopter hits power lines, crashes
The Nation

30216728-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A helicopter from the "Anothai" special task force under the Forward Command of the Internal Security Operations Command plunged into a canal in Songkhla's Thepa district after flying into high-voltage power lines yesterday. One of the 10 officers on board was injured.

Following the many bomb attacks in the South early yesterday, the helicopter was inspecting high-voltage transmission towers between Pattani and three districts of Songkhla when it lost control after getting entangled in the wires at 10am.

The pilot had to make an emergency landing in the Sai Bo La Yu Canal in Tambon Thepa. The 10 officers on board were able to jump out before the aircraft sank.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-10

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's surprising that there aren't more electrical wire deaths and accidents in Thailand. Look around Bangkok on Sukhumvit Road, the "showcase" of Thailand. Notice all the spaghetti wiring strung all along. Much of the wiring is frayed and sagging to head level.

I agree with Gentleman Jim...those men in that helo were very lucky.

Usually when a helo, or any aircraft, hits a power line nobody get's

out alive. Luck was on their side...and a good bit of flying by the

pilot too I may add.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

pilot too I may add.

Time to erect to good spirits shrines and buy more charms and a couple of lotto tickets - these guys were damn lucky!

• Like 2

pilot too I may add.

Thank God for small mercies ..........and a few experts.

• Like 2

Not disputing the relative safe landing of the aircraft by the pilot (good job), but what are 10 officers doing on a helo which is on a power line inspection flight.?

Who knows.....maybe hitch hiking a lift to another out post etc.

2 pilots, couple of spotters....maybe a gunner on each side looking for insurgents, the obligatory onboard engineer to fix shit etc.

• Like 1

This is about as intelligent as a 4.5 meter high bus running into a 4 meter high bridge across the road. Planes running off runways, school buses running over children while at school. What is next?

That is just stupid....accidents happen and this seems to be a good one.

Not like the previous one where they chose to land in a dam when the surrounding area was flat treeless fields.

• Like 1

pilot too I may add.

Yeah, very good flying, he flew into the wires. Not as though he didn't know where they were, they in fact were inspecting them, a little too close, or he turned and the tail rotor came into contact, which would cause a lose of control but still have enough to give a reasonable soft landing. I guess as things go it will be a fault of the wires NOT a pilot error.

• Like 1

Not disputing the relative safe landing of the aircraft by the pilot (good job), but what are 10 officers doing on a helo which is on a power line inspection flight.?

They are on board to shoot back if bad guys start shooting at the army helo. Very common safety/security procedure. They can shoot back from the air or land dismount and go after the guys.....

Power lines are always a hazard when flying low level.

However, it does seem somewhat bizarre to be caught out by them when inspecting them in broad daylight, but then it takes some good flying to bring the helicopter down in an emergency landing in safety.

Wonder if the machine can be recovered and ever work again?

hi-tech! Helicopter used in inspecting high voltage transmission. What country have you heard of using helicopter for that

job? In USA, , Germany, Japan or Cambodia? Oh no. i am sure they don't. Only in Thailand...

They are on board to shoot back if bad guys start shooting at the army helo. Very common safety/security procedure. They can shoot back from the air or land dismount and go after the guys.....

You need an officer to load, point and fire a gun? Are the squaddies that incapable?

Lucky people to escape as they did, had a few rides in helicopters in my time never did like the bally things personally if something went wrong the last thing one was likely to see was ones anus as it slid over ones nose.

hi-tech! Helicopter used in inspecting high voltage transmission. What country have you heard of using helicopter for that job? In USA, , Germany, Japan or Cambodia? Oh no. i am sure they don't. Only in Thailand...

post-9891-0-64040700-1381381690_thumb.jppost-9891-0-70175200-1381381699_thumb.jppost-9891-0-65918700-1381381706_thumb.jp

Unless you were using sarcasm, these for your edification.rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

hi-tech! Helicopter used in inspecting high voltage transmission. What country have you heard of using helicopter for that job? In USA, , Germany, Japan or Cambodia? Oh no. i am sure they don't. Only in Thailand...

You really do need to do some research, before commenting, it might save you looking like the fool you are. Many countries use helos to inspect and maintain power lines. Why is it so hard for people to Google before commenting?

Edited by Rorri
  • Like 1