Thai Army helicopter hits power lines, crashes

webfact

From my reading of the story it's most likely that the flux capacitor detached from the nodule thus causing the helicopter to enter a rudimentary rotational descent in a vortex parambulatory style. Mine's a large Chang and can you lend me 2000 baht until my pension cheque comes through.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From my reading of the story it's most likely that the flux capacitor detached from the nodule thus causing the helicopter to enter a rudimentary rotational descent in a vortex parambulatory style. Mine's a large Chang and can you lend me 2000 baht until my pension cheque comes through.

Waiting for one expert to come on and spout his dribble....you should be able to fix him right cos sounds like you know more than him.......but he was ex special forces....cheesy.gif

Waiting for one expert to come on and spout his dribble....you should be able to fix him right cos sounds like you know more than him.......but he was ex special forces....cheesy.gif

Mate remember the Iranian Embassy siege in London in 1980? Second SAS bloke through the window - that's me.

Waiting for one expert to come on and spout his dribble....you should be able to fix him right cos sounds like you know more than him.......but he was ex special forces....cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Mate remember the Iranian Embassy siege in London in 1980? Second SAS bloke through the window - that's me.

Why weren't you the first ? Scared ?

Waiting for one expert to come on and spout his dribble....you should be able to fix him right cos sounds like you know more than him.......but he was ex special forces....cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Why weren't you the first ? Scared ?

I had a runny nose and was looking for a hankie

• Like 1

Quite amazing with an incident of that nature especially into water that everyone got out alive, really amazing in fact.

Before everyone starts making comments similar to soi41's above, wire strikes are a common hazard faced by military helicopters all over the world. Whatever happened the forced landing was a good one for everyone to get out, almost all unhurt. Lucky guys!

Flying in poor visibility & at high speed; yes, inspecting wires at low speed; no.

Another reason please Mr military?

Miltary pilots often have a reason for flying at low altitudes, civilian pilots (unless farming or something) do not.

Im curious, been here 15 years and can count the private aircraft I've seen on two hands. Never see private planes anywhere around the country. What about Helicopters, I've never seen a single private/company helicopter. Granted, I don't spend much time in Bangkok. My question, is civil aviation really that non existent in Thailand? My next question, where do the Military and Commercial Pilots learn to fly? Straight from Video game to Simulator to Passenger Jet or Military Jet or Helicopter?

Private helicopter or aircraft ownership is illegal here, with a few exceptions.

Nonsense.

Patrick

Im curious, been here 15 years and can count the private aircraft I've seen on two hands. Never see private planes anywhere around the country. What about Helicopters, I've never seen a single private/company helicopter. Granted, I don't spend much time in Bangkok. My question, is civil aviation really that non existent in Thailand? My next question, where do the Military and Commercial Pilots learn to fly? Straight from Video game to Simulator to Passenger Jet or Military Jet or Helicopter?

Private helicopter or aircraft ownership is illegal here, with a few exceptions.

Nonsense.

Patrick

Prove otherwise then.

These inspections are not examining the "Power Lines" as such, they are looking at the (usually) Ceramic Insulators which, connected to various other fittings, support the Aluminium / ACSR Cables and attach them to the Tower.

In many Countries ignorant people will take "Potshots" at the Insulators just to see them shatter; because of the design of these Insulators they are not usually damaged in such a way to make the Power Carrying Cable fall to the ground, however as a safety precaution regular Inspections of the whole Power Line are undertaken.

Patrick

Aircraft Registration;
A foreigner cannot be the legal owner of an aircraft in Thailand. They must either have a Thai national (25yo or over) register it or put it into a company name which has 2 Thai directors.
5 year Permit;
The DOA require each pilot to obtain a 5 year permit for the aircraft. This takes from 2 - 6 MONTHS to process so allow plenty time if you intend doing any flying.
No one can own a helicopter privately without special dispensation as it is classified as a rotor wing aircraft. If I find any further info I will post here. The small number of civil helicopters in Thailand (only 42) suggests this is still the case.

Not disputing the relative safe landing of the aircraft by the pilot (good job), but what are 10 officers doing on a helo which is on a power line inspection flight.?

They are on board to shoot back if bad guys start shooting at the army helo. Very common safety/security procedure. They can shoot back from the air or land dismount and go after the guys.....

You need an officer to load, point and fire a gun? Are the squaddies that incapable?

Having '10 officers on board' is probably more a reflection of the quality of the journalism than anything else.

UK journalist are always labeling anything that flies as 'RAF', calling marines part of the army, calling everyone in uniform an officer etc etc.

Nonsense.

Patrick

Prove otherwise then.

Just as a start!

http://www.pattayaairpark.com/

Patrick

Just as a start!

Patrick

That's the website for an air park. Has nothing to do with private ownership of rotor wing or fixed wing aircraft.

I have already linked to a site that states foreign ownership is illegal, without exception.

<sigh>

So you now attempt to qualify your original, dogmatic, statement that PRIVATE ownership of an airframe in Thailand is totally Illegal unless the Owner is Thai?

See above :

or :

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/

Patrick

Nearly perished myself flying into power lines, checking out some chicks sun bathing topless on a river bank. Saw. The power lines without a second to spare and cleared them by inches, shit flying but we are all human, and believe me I hate to admit to this.

• Like 1

Nonsense.

Patrick

Prove otherwise then.

Just as a start!

Patrick

Come to Hua Hin, learn to fly anytime at local airport.