Renting @ Punna Residence?

kquiri1

Hello, my girlfriend and I are currently apartment shopping in Chiang Mai and hoping for a little help. She is a teacher and starts this week and I will be volunteering with and NGO for the next 8-10 months. We have looked at a bunch of places including a really nice apartment at Punna Residence right near Nimmanhaemin.

I am curious if anyone else has lived there or knew anyone who has. Any feedback? How is the staff in terms of repairs or service? Any hidden costs or things to consider?

Would appreciate any help!

That's located right next to the Pasterland where they have 10 day food festivals and other activities.

If you don't mind listening to very very very loud music for 10 days in a row until late at night midnight or later sometimes... then it's probally a wonderful place to live.

Oh almost forgot... the drunk people going right past your house until 3 a.m. every night coming and going from all the bars and clubs about 50 - 100 meters from where you are thinking of staying.

A Japanese friend stayed there one night before moving to another location. He could not get a wink of sleep all night because of all the noise. The owner refunded his money in full and gave him the one night free. The owner told my friend that he could not sleep there either.

There are no places in the city that are completely quiet. If you get a room on the east side of Punna the noise from concerts and live music bars between the condo and Canal Road won't be too bad. The east side is also much cooler during the hot season than the west side. Anywhere in the CMU and Nimmanhamin area you will have to put up with occasional take-off noise from the Chiang Mai airport, but they usually end around midnight.

I was under the impression that Punna was overpriced. Have you compared rent there with other places in the area?

Dispite of what some've said, Punna 1 and 2 buiding are always fully occupied and rented rooms are fully booked. Rent here is one of the more expensive, at least 15,000 THB per month for a small studio room. As for the loud music It's like that most places in Nimmanhaemin area, I live here. Nimmanhaemin is the center of major activities in Chiang Mai! If you want a quiet life don't stay in the area!

Edited by ARISTIDE

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am not too concerned with the street noise as I am pretty used to living in a more 'rowdy' part of a city and the activity of Niemman is what we are actually looking for.

The room we are looking at is actually very nice so I can see why the building is almost always rented out. I am concerned though with the price and if it is overpriced, would be very interested in another location.

Does anyone have any suggestiosn for a clean, fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the same area?

For the similar range try Kantary Hill but still expensive and fully booked by Japanese at this time of year.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I am not too concerned with the street noise as I am pretty used to living in a more 'rowdy' part of a city and the activity of Niemman is what we are actually looking for.

The room we are looking at is actually very nice so I can see why the building is almost always rented out. I am concerned though with the price and if it is overpriced, would be very interested in another location.

Does anyone have any suggestiosn for a clean, fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment in the same area?

Hillside Condo 2 and 3 are on Nimmanhamin soi 8, very close to Punna, Hillside 4 is on Huay Kaew, not too far away. All are older and not as attractive on the outside, but Hillside 3 and 4 have some rooms that are nice on the inside, I assume that Hillside 2 has the same. There are also condos on other Nimmanhamin sois and on Canal Road.

You might get lucky going into the lobbies of condos and looking for rental notices on their bulletins boards, but your best bet is to check out the websites of property management businesses such as Chiang Mai Properties. You need to spend a lot of time looking at rooms and you can expect huge differences in rent for similar properties; some owners have unrealistic opinions about the value of their property. There are good deals out there, but it takes time to find them.

The last time I was in the market, a little over two years ago, basic studios in the 38 to 42 square meter size were usually 4 to 7 thousand baht a month, nice larger sudios were between 9 to 13 thousand baht. One bedroom condos from 70 to 80 square meters could be found for anywhere from 9 to 20 thousand baht a month. Usually the higher the price the nicer the condo, but not always, there are some nice condos in the lower end of the price range and some crap ones at the higher end.

I neglected to mention, you can also go to the classified section of TV and use the advanced search function to find lots of property for rent in Chiang Mai. You might be able to do the same with the Property section, but it doesn't seem to be as easy to use.

• 3 months later...

There are no places in the city that are completely quiet. If you get a room on the east side of Punna the noise from concerts and live music bars between the condo and Canal Road won't be too bad. The east side is also much cooler during the hot season than the west side. Anywhere in the CMU and Nimmanhamin area you will have to put up with occasional take-off noise from the Chiang Mai airport, but they usually end around midnight.

I was under the impression that Punna was overpriced. Have you compared rent there with other places in the area?

is east side the pool side?

• 1 year later...

Don't do it! Behind Punna Residence Soi 6 is BARS, CLUBS, low flying airplanes and are building 3 apartment complex one on each side. Also, they are always remodeling inside so the you hear it on every floor. If you get a room facing the mountain you are struck by heat and have to use a fan or air conditioning. The sun comes directly in and the place gets real warm quick. once you get into a lease your in trouble. They will not let you out of it and they ask between 2 or 3 months. Yep, every night you will hear the loud clubs or construction no matter what side your on. They also have a big empty parking lot next to the college disco that they use for big events and the music goes BOOM BOOOM BOOM All Night Long. The front office and guards will lie to you and say it is quiet. It is not! It ls a nice place but if you like paying high prices and hearing noise all day and night this place may be for you. I am moving out and away.