Thai Police officer clarifies 'tourist-beating' video

webfact

Please don't post some BS chart rating Thailand as most racist or violent.

Enough of the Thai-apologist BS already!

How many of these incidents need to happen before you guys take your head out of the sand?

Poor you. Were you once victimized too??

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

nope!

And that's a pathetic reply! The old "If one's argument holds no water, attack the other poster" scenario, eh?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't post some BS chart rating Thailand as most racist or violent.

Enough of the Thai-apologist BS already!

How many of these incidents need to happen before you guys take your head out of the sand?

Poor you. Were you once victimized too??

nope!

And that's a pathetic reply! The old "If ones argument holds no water, attack the other poster" scenario, eh?

Just wanted a reaction from you. It worked.

Many comments in the website, and other social network sites, berate the Thai nationals for their aggressive behaviours against the tourists.

This part we know is basically true

While the trio was waiting for a bus in front of the bus company office at the scene, the Bahraini woman reportedly talked to a Thai man, and her newly married husband became angry and started trashing the bus company office.

This bit is a bit which is hard to believe, but Pol.Col. Suwat has his result, blame the farangs and make a bit of money on the side...

All is good in la la land for quality tourists

Surely they jest. Why would any lady want to flirt with a Thai man?

Because some of them are gorgeous.wub.png

Clarification or cover up AGAIN.

No wonder Thailand is known as one of most dangerous tourist destination,

Is it? Not sure it beats many countries in South America where it's advised not to walk the streets alone after dark, and you're in danger of having your hand chopped off for easy removal of your watch if you're silly enough to lean your arm outside a taxi window.

The Thai police and the criminal behavior against visitors by any Thai is a loss of face for Thailand. Why can't the Thai people understand this. Thailand is judged by the actions and behavior of the Thai people.

• Like 2

200 baht fine for Thais, and 5000 baht for falangs. Win win for all! blink.png

200 baht fine for the Thais involved, 200 baht fine for the foreigners involved. Perfectly clear in the report. The foreigners were fined an additional 5000 baht for damage they caused. Maybe that didn't come across in the translation and wasn't a fine so much as compensation?

• Like 1

200 baht Vs 5000 baht and all said with a straight face. Scum.

Try actually reading the whole report, all parties were fined 200 baht for fighting, Thais and foreigners. The foreigners apparently trashed the bus company office also. 5000 baht compensation/fine perhaps for the 'scum" as you put it.

• Like 1

200 baht fine for Thais, and 5000 baht for falangs. Win win for all! blink.png

The article implies all involved were fined 200 baht for fighting. The Bahrain husband trashed the bus company office and the 5000 baht was for damage?

If you've ever flown out of Bkk on Gulf Air to Manama you will have seen a good example of some of the Bahrainis who visit Thailand and their behavior. They aren't the politest and most inoffensive of the GCC nationalities by a long way.

Hard to know what really happened unless you were there. But, of course, easy to blame the Thais.

These scumbag taxi drivers!!!

Just 2 weeks ago I was driving my small Motorbike from Ikea / Mega Bangna headed towards Bangkok. I was in the left lane, as required by law, when a Taxi driver, driving in the middle lane suddenly spotted potential customers on the sidewalk and immediately cut right in front of me and hit the brakes. To avoid a crash, I tried to get around him on the outside, but gently hit the car with a plastic bag (containing a pillow) hanging from my left mirror. Passing the driver I used the horn and called him an idiot. Then he forgot all about the potential customers and drove after me, shouted someting in Thai out of the window and tried to make me stop. I just kept driving, but then he chased me and again threw his taxi around other cars and right in front of me to cut me off, hit the brakes and jumped out of the car. He was a big guy around 30-35 years old and acting extremely agressively towards little old me, so I kept in mind that some Taxi drivers carry guns, knives, clubs or even samurai swords in the cars, which made me decide to try to escape from him. I managed to get around the taxi right in front of me, speed up and luckily escaped from whatever was waiting for me. I was really scared and imagined that I could very well soon be hit by a bullit in my back. Luckily there were lots of cars on the roads, which made my escape possible. Luckily I was very familiar with this particular area, and knew exactly where to drive, to escape this mad taxi driver. The Taxi was one of the most common yellow and green taxis, and unfortunately I only thought about escaping, so I didn´t think about checking the number. Now every time I meet a yellow and green taxi in this area, where I frequently need to go, I fear that it could be this mad taxi driver, who would possibly kill me if he only could get a second chance.

So if you hadn't used the horn as a form of rebuke, not called him an idiot and just continued on your way, none of this would have happened.

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

Thank you for such an insightful post based on your many years experience of Thai Cultural norms...

OK, if this guy's three years in Thailand isn't enough for you (I assume you're being sarcastic), I've been here for 26 and have also NEVER had a fight with a taxi, tuk-tuk, or motorcycle driver. I struggle to recall any time I've ever been ripped off by one. I even had one refuse to take my fare when he dropped me off because it was on his way home anyway (I admit that is one in a million).

Being polite and respectful has always worked for me it seems.

• Like 1

I don't find the idea that the tourists would start trashing the office beyond belief. But unless the article left out key information (which I can easily believe) the cop just made matters worse by submitting such a vague account of the tourists' aggressive actions. Was the anger of the locals justified? I mean did the visitors merely like kick over a waste basket as they walked out the door or did they actually do property damage?

Well, not exactly... few years ago, i had a taxi ride from Koh Chang to BKK, and the price of the journey was discussed and agreed.

When we arrived in BKK, the driver asked me 500 B. more than the previously agreed price , and when i tried to discuss it, he started to become aggressive.

I gave him what he wanted, as i thought any other choice could have been more expensive.

TBH, that was the only bad experience i had with a taxi driver in Thailand

Similar thing happened to us last Thursday, My wife and her friend organised a taxi at Don Muang to Pattaya (Ambassador City) I waited with our 5 yr old and luggage, the negotiated price was 1,600 baht when we arrived the price was suddenly 2,500 baht the increase was due to myself being a farang and the wife didn't inform the driver I was a farang. Just glad he didn't demand a seat wear and tear on top of it. We just paid. The wife tried to give him a mouth full which set him off.

Youve had that one tried on you as well with a taxi...biggrin.png ...."the not informing farang surcharge clause" Section 3 paragraph 6 of the Thailand taxi code

Many years ago had something similar tried on with a hotel/resort, cant quite remember were it was, but the Mrs had booked the place for a few days away in her name 2 PAX , they never had and CC details or anything for the booking, but room rate agreed to, turned up and and their incredible powers of observation noted there was a farang in tow, all of a sudden agreed to room rate went up considerbly because apprantly I was a farang, according to my Mrs. I think they assumed we had arrived by taxi or bus or something and believed they had in corner and could force the rate increase cos we had no transport out of there..

Rather than get in an argument with them, I asked if they were sure about the "farang surcharge"...they said yes all smiles thinking I was going to pay it..."OK no problem, but we have changed our mind dont want to stay here anymore...picked the bags up, walked out and jumped in the car, drove off and found somewhere else to stay...thumbsup.gif

however the most blatant one I ever say was a DM, British guy flew in for the first time, standing out side "negotiating" a taxi ride to Pattaya 2nd road, I was standing outside waiting for my driver and was "ears dropping" on the conversation, I heard THB 6000 quoted and the guy must have agreed to it and the tout walked off to get the vehicle, I walked over and asked him I had heard right and they had quoted him THB 6000 one way, said yes and told him what it should roughly cost..not a happy bunny...but told him I was heading roughly that way anyway and can get the driver to drop him off if he wants...guy said ok and when the tout came back you should have seen his face as the guy jumped into my car with...I gave tout my best Thai smile and we drove off...

I do so enjoy giving Thais who try and fail to cheat me the Yim cheua-cheuan smile which means: I win and you lose. Of course, I wait until I am leaving to flash this smile.

Always find the anti Thai hate stuff a bit tiring. Dealing with tuk tuk, motocyke and taxi drivers is simple. AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU LEAVE, then pay as promised, throw in a small tip if you can.

Westerners in Thailand tend to see things from a Western perspective, why not try putting on the other guys shoes for a second. He has a family, he works long hours often 7 days a week, he deals with drunk, angry trouble makers (many times farang) often. Be polite, learn a bit of the language, work out a deal before hand and then you'll have no problems, no fights, in fact the exact opposite you can have a nice conversation, and learn a bit about another persons life.

I have spent about 3 years in Thailand, taken hundreds of Taxis, motorcykes and tuk tuks...never once has there been an argument about money. Treat people with kindness and respect, work out the price before you depart and your good as gold.

Thank you for such an insightful post based on your many years experience of Thai Cultural norms...

His post makes a lot of sense. Your response was a sarcastic waste of space.

How do you know I was being sarcastic , maybe my remark was sincere ?

I guess I will re-post, as I wasn't attacking anyone. I have just found that many of the men I meet here in Thailand are very insecure about the women in their lives so I have stopped talking to anyone's girlfriend of wife beyond the most basic greetings ("hello" or a wai for Thai women and then done). I guess we can't know if this is what really happened, but judging by some of the jealousy I have seen here from different guys from all over the world, I wouldn't doubt that a guy could go off the rails because someone had a conversation with his wife.

Oh, these loving caring and wonderful Buddhist people. Always smiling and taking care of every whim and fancy of yours. They are so wonderful, warm and skillful, so professional in their conduct.

How can this happen? It must be a disgusting degenerate Farang who deserves to be beaten to death since he refused to hand over his assets to these second-to-none people. I must say, throw this kind of honeymoon travelers to jail and let them rot there.

BTW, I have not taken a taxi or tuk-tuk in about 8 years now. Have my own car and motorbike. Saved a lot of money and hassle doing it myself. Can recommend. If drinking, I simply ask some of my relatives to give me a lift. They do it without asking me any donations or beating me up on my rude behavior.

God (or Buddha?) bless them!

Ah, but if you don't like it, you should go home, and bear in mind apparently, it happens everywhere......

Sarcasm

Someone once told me always be careful in a fight with a Thai. You are fighting to win, he maybe fighting to kill.

Agreed....Have seen this type of video over and over again, with a group of Thais putting the boot to a farang

laying on the ground. So yes , in essence you are in a fight for your life, so act accordingly. So take the closest

attacker, and hurt him badly and quickly. That may at least give some pause to the other 7 attackers..... :-)

Or I guess you could just lay on the ground, try to cover your head, and pray you will wake up in the hospital

as you are kicked into unconsciousness......

I agree with your advice if you little other choice. Also, better to disable an attacker before they can arm themselves.