Thai Govt House sealed off

webfact

The invocation of the Internal Security Act (ISA) is the logical way to protect the people and their government from radical activists that have make countless statements of their intentions to remove Thailand's Premier from office. The government's response on this occasion is similar to the response of any European, British, American or Canadian Government. It is particularly wise decision in the light of the Occupations of government buildings in recent years.

The Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO)is carrying out its instructions to the letter which are to protect the lives and property of the government and its people with the utmost care and to protect and preserve the lives of the protesters too.

Be proud of your government and it's determination to protect you and your legally elected government.

Are you saying that western countries ban people from gathering at the slightest threat of a protest?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The invocation of the Internal Security Act (ISA) is the logical way to protect the people and their government from radical activists that have make countless statements of their intentions to remove Thailand's Premier from office. The government's response on this occasion is similar to the response of any European, British, American or Canadian Government. It is particularly wise decision in the light of the Occupations of government buildings in recent years.

The Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO)is carrying out its instructions to the letter which are to protect the lives and property of the government and its people with the utmost care and to protect and preserve the lives of the protesters too.

Be proud of your government and it's determination to protect you and your legally elected government.

Many have said that the police presence is disproportionate but I suppose that's a matter of opinion and I don't know enough about it to comment. The police doing their job in protecting the work of the government is good to see as you say.

There is one problem however.

They didn't do the same in 2010 as far as I'm aware so their attention to duty now, whilst admirable could be seen as an indication of bias and lack of independence.

They did not do it in 2006 with the yellows, they did not do it in 2010 with the reds, but they do it with the yellows (and affiliated colors) this year.

I think that after so many protests aiming at toppling the various governments (both colors, but the yellows certainly beat the reds in this regard), there has been a lot of learning.

In the past the government did let the demonstrations happen and tried to keep order when it was already too late.

By letting the protesters rally anywhere they wanted and disturbing anyone they wanted for as long as they wanted, the successive governments only made the protesters feel stronger. They were never challenged. They could do anything they wished, in the name of whatever, while the police forces stayed still, fearing that any move from their part could lead to violence.

What the government is doing now is to avoid any escalation, which I think is very good. They do not prevent the people to demonstrate, they just keep them away to avoid any escalation and any serious or unacceptable disturbance.

In the past it was far too easy for a small group to seize a government building or an airport, with the police not daring to do anything in order to avoid confrontation.

Unfortunately the last confrontation under the previous government left 90 dead... So it is far better to not let these demonstrations go too far.

Till now the work of the police forces under this government has been perfect, with no injuries at all.

The other thing that I think not only good but rather excellent is that by taking quick and strict measures to prevent these groups of extremists to create further problems, they break the vicious circle of the never ending "rallies to topple the regime", which is looking more and more like a non sense.

Better wait for the elections for the real fight.

Sent from my iPhone...

• Like 1

Many have said that the police presence is disproportionate but I suppose that's a matter of opinion and I don't know enough about it to comment. The police doing their job in protecting the work of the government is good to see as you say.

They didn't do the same in 2010 as far as I'm aware so their attention to duty now, whilst admirable could be seen as an indication of bias and lack of independence.

They did not do it in 2006 with the yellows, they did not do it in 2010 with the reds, but they do it with the yellows (and affiliated colors) this year.

I think that after so many protests aiming at toppling the various governments (both colors, but the yellows certainly beat the reds in this regard), there has been a lot of learning.

In the past the government did let the demonstrations happen and tried to keep order when it was already too late.

By letting the protesters rally anywhere they wanted and disturbing anyone they wanted for as long as they wanted, the successive governments only made the protesters feel stronger. They were never challenged. They could do anything they wished, in the name of whatever, while the police forces stayed still, fearing that any move from their part could lead to violence.

What the government is doing now is to avoid any escalation, which I think is very good. They do not prevent the people to demonstrate, they just keep them away to avoid any escalation and any serious or unacceptable disturbance.

In the past it was far too easy for a small group to seize a government building or an airport, with the police not daring to do anything in order to avoid confrontation.

Unfortunately the last confrontation under the previous government left 90 dead... So it is far better to not let these demonstrations go too far.

Till now the work of the police forces under this government has been perfect, with no injuries at all.

The other thing that I think not only good but rather excellent is that by taking quick and strict measures to prevent these groups of extremists to create further problems, they break the vicious circle of the never ending "rallies to topple the regime", which is looking more and more like a non sense.

Sent from my iPhone...

In 2008, whilst Thaksins faction were in Government they were not in power. The Police knew that if they moved to end the yellow shenanigans they would end up facing the Army.

In 2010 Abhisits Government was the creation of the Army.Any security duties were in their hands. The Police stayed out of it - they weren't wanted.

Now the difference is that the Government the current lot of protesters wish to oust came to power through the ballot box has a genuine mandate and the support of the majority. The Army is not involved, and the Government is therefore able to deploy its police forces to ensure that it is not pushed around by these geriatric fascists.

Edited by JAG

The use of the ISA plus 12,000 or more police to deal with 250 protestors is logical? You are obviously not a professor of logic (the joke is too long to post here). It is not in any way similar to what other governments do with small protests.

Actually the response has been so OTT that it has boosted protestor numbers and maybe even attracted more hard-core ones who don't like to see fellow Thais treated like dirt.

In discussing the ISA today, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha revealed the cost of conducting the ISA, with it's 20,000 (not 12,000) policemen, has reached 206 Million Baht.

For a demonstration that involves only slightly more than 206 protesters.

rolleyes.gif

The use of the ISA plus 12,000 or more police to deal with 250 protestors is logical? You are obviously not a professor of logic (the joke is too long to post here). It is not in any way similar to what other governments do with small protests.

Actually the response has been so OTT that it has boosted protestor numbers and maybe even attracted more hard-core ones who don't like to see fellow Thais treated like dirt.

In discussing the ISA today, Deputy Prime Minister Pracha revealed the cost of conducting the ISA, with it's 20,000 (not 12,000) policemen, has reached 206 Million Baht.

rolleyes.gif

The ISA is a cash cow for the RTP, keeps them all close and chummy with PTP too.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

The ISA is a cash cow for the RTP, keeps them all close and chummy with PTP too.

Yes that and the Rice Scam that they are being paid to police

It's interesting to see posters who were vehemently defending the right to protest 3 years ago, now just as vehemently denying that right.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find that the Red commitment to democracy and freedom of speech was just a hypocritical façade.

It's interesting to see posters who were vehemently defending the right to protest 3 years ago, now just as vehemently denying that right.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to find that the Red commitment to democracy and freedom of speech was just a hypocritical façade.

The people have the right to protest. That's what these small extremists groups are doing now.

It's just that the present protests have really silly demands. Too silly to be taken seriously by large numbers of people. They won't get anything. Not because they are denied their right to protest, but because their demands are far from reasonable and not supported at all by the majority.

They just disturb the neighborhood...

They should go to protest somewhere where they don't bore anyone. In a corner somewhere :)

It's also interesting to see posters cry fool when the government succeeds at keeping order and avoid violence.

The same people were pleased with the muzzling of the red media and shut down of their radio stations, fully agreed with the anti red propaganda, did not see any problem in putting people in prison on "terrorism" charges, have been supportive of the military crack down, minimized its deadly result, ...

Different perspective...

If I was a resident near the government house I would lose patience too.

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

The people have the right to protest. That's what these small extremists groups are doing now.

It's just that the present protests have really silly demands. Too silly to be taken seriously by large numbers of people. They won't get anything. Not because they are denied their right to protest, but because their demands are far from reasonable and not supported at all by the majority.

They should go to protest somewhere where they don't bore anyone. In a corner somewhere smile.png

It's also interesting to see posters cry fool when the government succeeds at keeping order and avoid violence.

The same people were pleased with the muzzling of the red media and shut down of their radio stations, fully agreed with the anti red propaganda, did not see any problem in putting people in prison on "terrorism" charges, have been supportive of the military crack down, minimized its deadly result, ...

Different perspective...

Sent from my iPhone...

They sound like similar demands. They both want(ed) a legitimate government to stand down.

It's interesting too, that the government just ordered the shutting down of 1300 illegal radio stations. I don't see you complaining about that.

Edited by whybother

Ever heard of irony?

They should go to protest somewhere where they don't bore anyone. In a corner somewhere smile.png

Different perspective...

Sent from my iPhone...

They sound like similar demands. They both want(ed) a legitimate government to stand down.

It's interesting too, that the government just ordered the shutting down of 1300 illegal radio stations. I don't see you complaining about that.

One wants a legitimate government to stand down. The other wanted early elections.There is a big difference.

One wants a legitimate government to stand down. The other wanted early elections.There is a big difference.

Spin it which ever way you want. The red shirts wanted a legitimate government to step down.

Different perspective...

Sent from my iPhone...

Yeah, rank hipocresy and double standards, eh? People should have the exact same reaction to both a few hundred peaceful protesters and to a mob of thousands that cheer at the prospect of turning the city into a sea of fire.

They got the offer to early elections but turned it down, so try again.

Spin it which ever way you want. The red shirts wanted a legitimate government to step down.

That's not what I said.

Indyuk post # 19

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This poster should indeed, ''stop taking what he or she shouldn't be taking and then start to take that which he or she should be taking.'',

The poster name is interesting.

Does it reflect upon their place of residence in the U.K rather than here in Thailand?whistling.gif

Heaven forbid!

Sent from my iPhone...

You paint a nice rosy picture,of suppressing the peoples right to protest,riddled with hipocracy. The obvious tactics this government has,is to squash any dissent by overwhelming any protesters with massive strength and overkill of BIB presence,and imposing unfair restrictions of movement,something the BIB were not up to performing their duties under PM Abhisit. I wonder why?

They sound like similar demands.  They both want(ed) a legitimate government to stand down.

It's interesting too, that the government just ordered the shutting down of 1300 illegal radio stations.  I don't see you complaining about that.

Spin it which ever way you want.  The red shirts wanted a legitimate government to step down.

That's not what I said.

Regardless of how you were trying to spin it, that's what happened.

Sent from my iPhone...

You paint a nice rosy picture,of suppressing the peoples right to protest,riddled with hipocracy. The obvious tactics this government has,is to squash any dissent by overwhelming any protesters with massive strength and overkill of BIB presence,and imposing unfair restrictions of movement,something the BIB were not up to performing their duties under PM Abhisit. I wonder why?

I don't see the government suppressing the people's right to protest.

Some do protest at the very moment using these rights, so where are their rights suppressed?

Everyone is free to join the protest sites.

Even you or anyone posting on this forum.

Who is willing to drop by the protest sites? If anyone feels so strongly that something must be done, just go there. Alone, or with a TV brigade :)

I am sure that the protesters would welcome a few farangs among them. The stars of the day :)

Those who don't dare to show their face can even hide behind a white mask, so I heard :)

It requires a bit of "balls" though... (To mention the words used by another poster) and a very strong conviction that you do the right thing...

Those here who so strongly support the rallies are free to leave the safety of their keyboard, join and sit together with the protesters, even for an hour or two (that should be safe). To show real support, bring a tent and sleep there for a day or two. You can make lots of new friends who have the same point of view :)

If the future of the country you love (well well, many here seem to hate it apparently, but ok) is at stake, go on. Do what you feel is right!

Great photo opportunity for sure :)

But not so safe if the motives of the protesters are not legitimate, of course....

And in my opinion, they are not. At all.

What I see is a government avoiding extremists to make the situation escalate to a point where it will be difficult to control the outcome. Perfect!

The government also protects the government buildings, which is just a wise decision taking into account not only the intentions, but also the past "achievements" of these yellow (and associated colors) extremists, who, sadly, did start this boring protests' trend in 2006.

This vicious circle of rallies after rallies must end. People must fight in elections.

The "strength" used by the government is very useful. It avoids any escalation and makes the trouble makers understand that they do not participate in a Sunday Pic Nic afternoon during which they can do everything they want. Perfect!

If the motives of the protesters were not so silly and surreal, many more people would join the rallies. But it is not the case, obviously.

There is no "unfair restriction of movement". Just some areas that are - and should be - off limits to trouble makers.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Last night having supper outside at the local restaurant/karaoke shop here in khet Dusit a police pickup was parked near, back full of shields, helmets, batons and the like. The guys had a break I guess, just wearing normal pants/shirt no uniform.

Honesty compels me to say they just drank soda and water, no alcohol. Maybe they had to go back later.

That's not what I said.

Well that's your opinion. That does not make it the truth.

I have a different opinion to you. That does not make it "spin"

"One wants a legitimate government to stand down. The other wanted early elections.There is a big difference"

When a legitimate government stands down before it's time there will be early elections. Asking for early elections is implicitly asking the legitimate government to step down. So what is this big difference?

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

Well I am not a big fan of protests. But they do give the people a chance to get the attention of the Government no matter who is in power.

What I find highly objectionable is the difference in response to them from the police. If it is a red shirt rally welcome sir just park your car over there. There will be toilets and food stalls right over there. Any other color or lack of color and they do every thing they can to disrupt it.

Not advocating it but if they were to be faced with armed protestors such as in 2010 would they still try to harass the protestors?

I guess I am saying does it really matter what the people do that dictates the Police actions? Is it not more what the People in power tell them to do. Irregardless of the law.

I guess I am saying does it really matter what the people do that dictates the Police actions? Is it not more what the People in power tell them to do. Irregardless of the law.

Spin it which ever way you want.  The red shirts wanted a legitimate government to step down.

That's not what I said.

It was a legitimate government. The red shirts demanded that they step down. That is the truth.

It actually happening makes it the truth and very very far away from an opinion.

I do not like sprouts, that is my opinion, sprouts are a vegetable is a fact.

But everyone likes sprouts, is spin.

• Like 1

Some do protest at the very moment using these rights, so where are their rights suppressed?

Who is willing to drop by the protest sites? If anyone feels so strongly that something must be done, just go there. Alone, or with a TV brigade smile.png

I am sure that the protesters would welcome a few farangs among them. The stars of the day smile.png

Those who don't dare to show their face can even hide behind a white mask, so I heard smile.png

It requires a bit of "balls" though... (To mention the words used by another poster) and a very strong conviction that you do the right thing...

Those here who so strongly support the rallies are free to leave the safety of their keyboard, join and sit together with the protesters, even for an hour or two (that should be safe). To show real support, bring a tent and sleep there for a day or two. You can make lots of new friends who have the same point of view smile.png

If the future of the country you love (well well, many here seem to hate it apparently, but ok) is at stake, go on. Do what you feel is right!

Great photo opportunity for sure smile.png

If you rely on your visa to stay in Thailand a long time, I would advise you to stay way clear of all protest sites. Your picture will be taken and you can expect a knock on the door from your local PTP Red Brigade handing you your deportation papers and escorting you to a taxi on its way to the airport. Bye Bye Thailand.

If you are a tourist and are ready to leave, up to you.

Who is willing to drop by the protest sites? If anyone feels so strongly that something must be done, just go there. Alone, or with a TV brigade smile.png

I am sure that the protesters would welcome a few farangs among them. The stars of the day smile.png

Those who don't dare to show their face can even hide behind a white mask, so I heard smile.png

Those here who so strongly support the rallies are free to leave the safety of their keyboard, join and sit together with the protesters, even for an hour or two (that should be safe). To show real support, bring a tent and sleep there for a day or two. You can make lots of new friends who have the same point of view smile.png

If you rely on your visa to stay in Thailand a long time, I would advise you to stay way clear of all protest sites. Your picture will be taken and you can expect a knock on the door from your local PTP Red Brigade handing you your deportation papers and escorting you to a taxi on its way to the airport. Bye Bye Thailand.

You should not alter my post and leave half of my opinion out...

Some here may now understand that I would join a yellow/Dems/affiliated colors' protest. Which is certainly the last thing I would do. Not because I don't want to take advantage of the nice photo opportunity, but because I would never join these extremists in keeping the country backwards.

But again, anyone else can go. No one prohibits the posters complaining here to courageously join a rally. As you said, there are some risks :)

But a few grumpy farangs kicked out of the country will not make a difference :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Edited by gerry1011

You should not alter my post and leave half of my opinion out...

Some here may now understand that I would join a yellow/Dems/affiliated colors' protest. Which is certainly the last thing I would do. Not because I don't want to take advantage of the nice photo opportunity, but because I would never join these extremists in keeping the country backwards.

But again, anyone else can go. No one prohibits the posters complaining here to courageously join a rally. As you said, there are some risks smile.png

But a few grumpy farangs kicked out of the country will not make a difference smile.png

Sent from my iPhone...

"But a few grumpy farangs kicked out of the country will not make a difference"

True, very true. We saw that in the aftermath of the 2010 fun with an Aussie block and an English savage being deported.smile.png