Bring Or Buy

mike1963

In general, if your equipment is high-end, you're better off bringing it from abroad It's notoriously difficult/expensive buying for example the latest CPU's etc over here...

Mainstream hardware is about the same price in the UK then it is over here ( with 66 Baht to the Pound, stuff was cheaper here when 1 pound bought you 72 Baht just a few months ago)

So on equal price you better think a bit about warranties etc... Normally it's easier to get local bought equipment replaced/repaired when faulty...

When you come from the US it's often better to bring since most things are cheaper then in Europe/Asia by a pretty big margin!

I certainly agree with Monty.

For a laptop, I'd bring one from the UK as you won't run into difficulties with customs etc. A desktop would be a different kettle of fish.

Prices for high end stuff tend to be on a par with or slightly more expensive than the UK. Check out some of the online stores in the pinned thread for an idea but watch the specs, exactly identical machines may not be available here, even from the same manufacturer.

Power supplies are not an issue and UK-Thai plug adaptors are readily available should you have any kit with wall-wart power blocks.

Enjoy Thailand, most people here do :o

Hi guys

Thanks for the tips - BTW what about hi fi equipment cheap to buy ? Can you get turntables?

Quite expensive to ship V's Buy New ???????

Thoughts?

Thanks Mike

Turntables (hifi + DJ) are available in Bangkok. Some very, very silly prices for some pretty mediocre kit (TTs, amps, speakers, etc.) but some comparative ''bargains'' are available second-hand (Fortune Town, upstairs). A mate shipped his DJing stuff from the UK when he moved. He said it was much, much cheaper to ship than buy here. Since I don't live in a nice condo I was too scared of dust/dirt to bring my turntable/CD player etc., which may be worth considering.

Edited by MarkBKK