Kevlar Jeans VS Knee Armour

OmegaRacer

I'm getting older and wiser...maybe. I haven't crashed since I was 18 (now 39) and thought that the odds might start to turn....statistically speaking.

Been upgrading my riding gear by getting a pair of Icon Elsinore boots, which I love. Now I'm looking to get something for my legs, but after doing some research I'm actually more confused than before.

I like Kevlar jeans, since they look like normal trousers, but offer good abrasion protection. Many come with knee pads (some have hip pads, too) that can be inserted in the fabric. I don't really want to buy over the internet as I want to try them on first. Can you recommend a brand/ shop in Bkk or Chonburi?

Another option could be MX style knee pads. There is a gazillion of different styles and prices out there. Does anyone here wear them? The advantage with this knee armour is that it is more likely to stay in place, whereas the armour in the jeans tends to shift around a bit more. At least that's what I've read so far. I wouldn't mind buying them online.

If you have experiences to share, I would be very grateful. Thank you

I wear Forcefield Limb Tubes under Drayko CE-rated jeans if I'm not wearing leather pants- not much abrasion resistance for the knee armor itself, but good impact protection for the front of the knee- they don't offer as much protection or coverage as the knee armor in my riding pants, but they're very comfortable and fit very well as they aren't too bulky- I bought them in the US, but they're on the Panda Rider website (as are some Kevlar jeans).

I also wear either EVS or Alpinestars hip armor, which is also a good idea.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

If you're riding hard I'd go for the full Monty. Leathers with the armour in all the right places is the best way to go. I don't have a sportsbike in Thailand so cannot recommend where to buy gear.

Back home I used a two-piece set that zipped and velcroed together - always good to be able to take off the jacket so probably a good idea for Thailand. Mine also had a few zipped vents in the jacket at the chest, forearms and shoulders so let some fresh air in. You could probably get these added by a tailor in Thailand. The pants had a mesh gusset at the crutch and upper inside leg area that also let the breeze in.

They were a no-name brand Chinese import but were really well made and designed. I did try them out a few times on the road surface (involuntarily) and they held up well. I used Icon one-piece leathers on the track but full leathers are a sod for Sunday riding in hot weather.

I have a few buddies that have come off wearing various styles of Kevlar and related products with varying results. If you're putting around at 80klm/h then they're probably OK and if the armour is well fitted it will give you some abrasion resistance. However if you're pushing the envelope a little bit then it's as much about the impact as it is the abrasion resistance that you need to consider. Had a friend come off wearing Kevlar at only 120klm from a low-side and his hips, elbows and shoulder got some real abrasion punishment, and the brand of the gear was way up there in quality.

Also, never forget the importance of decent armour for your back. If you buy anything with built in padding it's guaranteed to be crap. Pull it out and wear a proper CE backpad.

• Like 1

If you're going to buy any gear, try to stick with a well-regarded name brand where you can read reviews of how it's made- all leather and textile is not created equal, and one of the most important factors is how the material is stitched together- proper safety stitching (where thread is hidden under material at impact areas and double or triple stitched) tends to hold up in a crash better than exposed single stitching ( which is found on a lot of cheaper stuff)- it doesn't matter what material you're wearing if your gear bursts at the seams- construction quality is a big reason Dainese, Alpinestars, etc costs so much.

I'd rather spend double or triple and know I'm well-protected than spend less and end up wishing I'd gone for the good stuff in the first place if I have a get-off.

• Like 2

I crash tested a pair of Kevlar jeans few years back in Spain. They were made by the German brand Hein Gerike.

I was travelling at about 90 km/h and there was a multiple car crash in front of me. I braked really really hard and thought I'd got away with it, but then the front end washed out.

I guess I hit the tarmac at about 60km/h and went down on my left.

Gloves: Dainese summer shorties, had a small rough patch on the palm, no stitching broken. No visible or other hand injury. Still use the gloves today.

Jacket: Alipnestars Air-Flo, left sleeve was ripped open from just below the elbow up to the shoulder, exposing the armour. No visible or other arm / shoulder or upper body injury. Jacket went in the bin, but I bought the replacement model.

Trousers: Hein Gerike Kevlar jeans with impact absorbing rubber pads in knees and hips, had a small abrasion hole / scuff on the knee and a scuff on the hip. No visible or other injury on the knee, but a reasonably large bruise on my hip although not at all painful. The kevlar lining and impact pads were all intact so I had the knees patched and still use the jeans.

Boots: Alpinestars SMX II, only scuffed on the plastic heel protector but I suffered a sprain to my ankle (I think my foot got trapped under the bike) but I suspect that had I been wearing trainers or similar I would have broken my ankle. I still have the boots.

For the record, the bike, a GSXR750 slid into the back of the pile up and bent the frame....

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the input, guys!

I don't consider myself a fast rider (my wife would disagree), but I like to do some fast sprints from time to time. I ride a Yamaha SR (tracker style), so anything above 100km/h feels very fast for me already hahaha

I had a look at the Panda website. They've got some very nice Kevlar jeans, although quite pricey. About 300$, when most of the better known jeans on ebay or amazon are around 200$...

My budget is around 5-6.000Baht (170-200$).

Since a year or so theres a local brand for kevlar jeans google for badass jeans. Around 6k, seem to be fabricated in Malaysia.

Depending on your size i might sell you mine Scott 58th jeans size S (its slighty big, worn 1 time)

Edited by Hili

Brian sumet cycle has some models and you can check panda rider and paddock bangkok as i bought one from panda rider. Expensive but looks cool. Good for city riding as it is comfy and you dont look like a starship trooper with them.

Get the kevlar ones with hip and knee protector. You can removw thwm if needed too.

Still nothing compare with leather!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

kevlar jeans and knee armor are two different animals.

i wear knee armor under my pants, knox is a compact fit, dainese v-knee guards are good too but more bulky and the straps itch. Knee guards that have a sleeve as well as velcro fasteners will stay in place better...just make sure that there is a strap that goes above the knee. If they dont, they are pretty useless...i think knee armor stays in place better in a street riding scenario, on the track leather suits are tight enough to keep them in place, but street clothes are not as tight fitting...or you can get straps sewn into street pants to tighten the knee area...

rollerblade/mountain bike knee/elbow pads also work and cost much less, as long as the plastic protector is stitched and not riveted onto the padding. For city riding they would probably suffice. Fox troy lee shock doctors would be my choice.

I also have Dainese leather pants with knee protection, IMO Dainese has the best fit for keeping built in armor in place, they appear to reach over to the sides more for better placement. The elasticated accordion joints also provide an exemplary range of comfort and movement. But i only where these when im really getting low.

You can purchase underarmor type underwear that has built in padding. Get 7 pairs and your assured to be safe every single day in that area, whereas you dont really want to wear the same pair of jeans everyday, if you ride everyday.

• Like 1

Since a year or so theres a local brand for kevlar jeans google for badass jeans. Around 6k, seem to be fabricated in Malaysia.

Depending on your size i might sell you mine Scott 58th jeans size S (its slighty big, worn 1 time)

I've seen them...they look alright.

I'm a bit weary to buy without trying them on first. Already made that mistake once...

I found some protective pads at this Thai shop 320SP.com. Prices are very good, but I realize most if not all that stuff is an imitation from China. Still, I think for the regular ride around town they should be good enough. "Fox" 2 elbow + 2 knee pads for 400Baht and an "Alpinestars" back armour for 600Baht. Should they really be crap, at least I won't have lost much...

For longer trips I'll still look for a good pair of kevlar jeans. Now, if I only could bring myself to go to Bangkok...bah.gif

As it turns out, I have to go to Bkk tomorrow for a seminar. It's at Winsor Suites Convention Hotel 8 Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Are there any bike gear shops around there...or not too far from there?

cheers

You can easily get the MRT to Paddock from there.

Just get on at Asoke MRT (very near Soi 20) and go 3 or 4 stops north bound. Huay Kwaeng is the MRT near Paddock.

• Like 1

As it turns out, I have to go to Bkk tomorrow for a seminar. It's at Winsor Suites Convention Hotel 8 Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Are there any bike gear shops around there...or not too far from there?

cheers

You can easily get the MRT to Paddock from there.

Just get on at Asoke MRT (very near Soi 20) and go 3 or 4 stops north bound. Huay Kwaeng is the MRT near Paddock.

Fantastic, thanks!

I've found that the Drayko Kevlar jeans flow some air- they're about the same as a heavyweight pair of standard jeans- like with most gear, if you're moving it's fine- if you're stopped, things warm up a bit.;)

I actually ordered another pair of Drayko Renegade jeans today (so this thread cost me money:))- I noticed the price dropped a bit and I could use a blue pair to go with my black ones.

I've found that the Drayko Kevlar jeans flow some air- they're about the same as a heavyweight pair of standard jeans- like with most gear, if you're moving it's fine- if you're stopped, things warm up a bit.wink.png

I actually ordered another pair of Drayko Renegade jeans today (so this thread cost me money:))- I noticed the price dropped a bit and I could use a blue pair to go with my black ones.

i found padded jeans lighter than polyester or leather riding pants too.

and anyway, on bangkok asphalt while stationary, it gets warm i am sure even if you are naked:)

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I have kevlar inserts in a pair of jeans. Only wore them once but I felt uncomfortable so they just hang in the wardrobe now. They came with rubber (plastic?) knee pads but were to bulky so I didn't use them.

Statistically speaking, I haven't crashed since I was 18 alos, and now I'm 62. Maybe you have another 23 crash-free years left, But me, I should probably armor up.

As for Kevlar Jeans, I had a pair of Dragon Jeans in the US. Kevlar is hot; the jeans were hot. I brought them with me; they were really hot. the denim seams have since split out, and I have meant to get them repaired some day. But practically speaking, riding pants with knee pads are more comfortable here because of the heat.

I read this thread because I've been searching for best solution for riding in CM for a few years. I have Kevlar jeans, but find they are just too hot. Never wear them. But even if I sacrifice the abrasion resistance, I still want some impact protection, so appreciate people's comments about key features to look for in knee guards.