Pattaya Tai/ South Pattaya Road parking

Suradit69

As we were creeping along Pattaya Tai today in near gridlock, my friend informed me that quite a few signs (the ones I saw were only in Thai) announced that there would be parking restrictions starting next month. The signs seem to only be in the Tuesday/Friday Market, Friendship, TukCom stretch of the road.

As to the terms, until someone who reads Thai a whole lot better than me comes along, the restrictions COULD/MIGHT be enforced everyday, apply to both sides of the road, include a Baht 5000 fine and result in cars being towed.

I thought it worthwhile to warn everyone that this seems set to take place from 1st November, but my "understanding" of the exact terms is not completely reliable since my polyglot driver/translator tends to drift off when I ask too many questions (he's not alone).

To share a flavor of my investigation:

Me: It'll be everyday?

He: Yes

Me: Both sides of the road?

Me: Fine of Baht 5000

He: yes

Me. Take car away?

Me: Are you planning any visits to other planets soon?

and so on.

Possibly someone else can pin down the exact terms. IF it's enforced it could go a long way in making Pattaya Tai less of a total parking lot on market days anyway, but it might be an expensive experience for some people.

• Like 1

I think it's a reminder of the "new" parking-policy which came into force a few years ago..........something with odd and even days and the respective parking along the left or right side of Pattaya Tai.

No it specifically referred to starting from November 1st and it sounded like it would be more draconian than the previous attempts to keep traffic moving. My long suffering driver seemed happy at the prospect of something being done so I doubt it would just be a reminder of the old system.

Edited by Suradit69

The parking odd and even days signs have been there forever - are they the signs you're referring too or are there different ones now?

I'll be there tomorrow so will check it out.

No. I am aware of those. Have often seen people getting ticketed and having wheel clamps put on their cars for parking on the wrong side. Those signs are in Thai and English (and usually ignored in both languages).

These are new and some are even suspended above the road.

Of course, it would also help if they stopped allowing the queue of 101 song taeows waiting at the entrance of Soi Buakhao. I didn't see them today.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The parking odd and even days signs have been there forever - are they the signs you're referring too or are there different ones now?

No. I am aware of those. Have often seen people getting ticketed and having wheel clamps put on their cars for parking on the wrong side. Those signs are in Thai and English (and usually ignored in both languages).

Of course, it would also help if they stopped allowing the queue of 101 song taeows waiting at the entrance of Soi Buakhao. I didn't see them today.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll have a gander tomorrow and see what it's all about. smile.png

Of course, it would also help if they stopped allowing the queue of 101 song taeows waiting at the entrance of Soi Buakhao.

I could not agree more.

Has anyone ever seen a policeman on Pattaya Tai enforcing any traffic laws ? They are only in front of Kasikorn ticketing the helmet less moto drivers on Market day

The traffic continues to pile up on Tai because of the double parking in front of the wet market going towards the beach and the baht busses turning right from Bukow into Tai

A new wrinkle that I noticed yesterday was that they are now restricting parking in the lot / street where the Day Night Hotel is located so vehicles start to pull in from Tai, only to try and back out since they can't go continue without paying for parking.....another fine mess Ollie

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever seen a policeman on Pattaya Tai enforcing any traffic laws ? They are only in front of Kasikorn ticketing the helmet less moto drivers on Market day

The traffic continues to pile up on Tai because of the double parking in front of the wet market going towards the beach and the baht busses turning right from Bukow into Tai

A new wrinkle that I noticed yesterday was that they are now restricting parking in the lot / street where the Day Night Hotel is located so vehicles start to pull in from Tai, only to try and back out since they can't go continue without paying for parking.....another fine mess Ollie

"Has anyone ever seen a policeman on Pattaya Tai enforcing any traffic laws ?"

Yes, they are out most market day afternoons in force ticketing & clamping cars and removing some motorbikes. If you take a street-side table at the Cucumber at the right time, you can watch the tickets being written and the wheels being clamped. Unfortunately ticketing or clamping the wheels on cars doesn't do much for the flow of traffic.

Being the eternal optimist, I thought this latest "crack down" would provide some clear sailing on market days at least for a few weeks. Alas, on this very rainy Friday,one week into the new reality, both sides of Pattaya Tai are fully parked up and the queue of song taeows snaking from Pattaya Tai onto Soi Buakow is out en masse. Maybe later in the day ??? But maybe writing tickets in the rain will not be done with enthusiasm.

Possibly a more practical solution:

320415-hooning-laws-car-crushed.jpg

Today, Sunday, the north side of Pattaya Tai was nearly free of anything parked. There was one car near Soi Buakow that had a wheel clamped (actually it had a bit of moveable barrier chained and padlocked to its wheel). Even the minivans that run from in front of the Family Mart to Bangkok were not parked there. And I saw one farang pull over to the curb/kerb in front of Wat Chaimongkhol and before he came to a complete stop a whistle blowing motorcycle cop sent him on his way.

Now if they could only manage this on market days.