Painting Plywood Shelves.

chiangrai

Hi,

I've just cut 3 large shelves out of 3/4 inch plywood.

Now me missus tells me that acrylic paint will come off(on her clothes which the shelves are going to be used for)

Then I saw this guy on YouTube who says that i should use painters caulk on the sides which have been cut or the paint won't cover the gaps left from cutting.

So,is this true,Will acrylic paint come off gradually,

I think the caulking thing could be right but do they sell it in Thailand.

They are big heavy shelves so what would be the easiest way to hang them.

They are 5ft by 4ft L shaped and I have a bad back so should I fix the brackets to the

walls or the shelves first.

Ammeter needs advice and would be greatful

The cut edges will suck up the paint quickly but several coats will solve that problem. I would use latex paint but I don't think it really matters as long as you give it plenty of time to dry before using the shelves. Of course, it will still look like plywood but I assume that it's not in a place where your guests will be going regularly.

Mount the supports to the wall first.

Edited by Deke

I have plywood shelves in my walk in closets and homemade cabinets, they are painted with oil base acrylic enamel and it has never come off on our clothes. Just make sure that it is completely dry and put on at least 3 coats for a good surface finish.

O.k,

I'll start the search for mat black oil based paint.

I have to do it online because I'm so far from the city.

Finding out the right materials to use and finding them and getting them home is half the job for me in Thailand,

In Ireland I have friends to ask and then there is the friendly young man in the hardware shop to give advice.

Ah well,I learn a lot of Thai,patience and it's a great cure for perfectionism.

Thanks for your help.

Make sure you do a test fit before painting. Right angles and walls are a rare commodity in LOS so don't assume for that.

Also, you might consider using furring strips instead of brackets to support the shelves. You will need a level in either case.

Most villages have some source for paint and supplies (maybe not premium quality). You might check around instead of trying to order online.

Thanks Mate,

I've already bought nice white brackets.

Come to think of it herself is going to but so much stuff on the shelves that

you won't be able to tell if they are gloss or mat,so I will go down the village

and get the nearest thing they have.,maybe low gloss.

I hadn't thought about the 90 degree wall scenario,as I said Thailand is a great cure for perfectionism,

We must do our best and then be satisfied what ever the outcome,

as my grandfather used to say

A quick and easy and lazymans way is to use a waterbased paint as primer/sealer. Same stuff as used for painting walls.

Then you don't have to bother with all that primer and undercoat stuff. Slap on a couple of the water based paint a quick sand down and finish with your oil based black matt.

Oh! and be sure to paint both sides of the plywood otherwise it will warp.

That sounds great but just to be specific,

2 undercoats of water based and 1 last coat of oil based.

3 coats in all.

I nearly know what I'm doing now.At home I just ask a mate who is a painter

and he tells me in a couple of minutes.

Thanks to all who helped.

Again, if you are installing in a closet/small room - believe me, the shelves will NOT fit as you expect. So, do a test fit. And, when you install, you will probably need to go from bottom up, installing the brackets first each level. Else and depending on spacing, the shelves will not be able to fit in.

That sounds great but just to be specific,

2 undercoats of water based and 1 last coat of oil based.

3 coats in all.

I nearly know what I'm doing now.At home I just ask a mate who is a painter

and he tells me in a couple of minutes.

Thanks to all who helped.

That's not the way I would do it. Prime with a good latex based will be good for protection, but if you go with oil base for finish, you should put at least 3 coats sanding lightly between coats. AND, allow plenty of time for drying between coats and maybe up to 3 weeks after finish before putting clothes on it.

And... for the cut exposed edges, I like to use TOT Filler: rubbing on with my finger and then sanding, repeating a few times until a nice "1/2 round" finish. Of course, 1/2 round molding would be better, but try to find here.

Just curious... living in the sticks, where did you find 3/4" plywood decent enough for shelving? I live in Udon Thani province, and the ONLY place I have found for just above crap plywood is Global. Aagh.

I had to rent a pick up truck to go to Chiang Rai city.A list of things like that builds up about

once a year adding 1000bht to the cost.

As for the problem with the walls not being 90 degrees,how about keeping the shelves an inch or more back from the wall even if it means only having the one outer screw hole on the bracket to attach to the shelves.Believe me she will pack those shelves so much you won't be able to see.

Or the worst case scenario would be cutting my L shape into two pieces.The corner has a concrete post built in too.

Thanks for all the help guys,I would be lost without yee

Have at least 2 screws holding the shelf to the bracket outer and one inner. If you only have a screw in the outer hole the shelf may tip or move.

Leaving a gap is a good idea, but it need only be small, not enough that you can't use one of the rear screw holes. It will also stop possible transfer of damp from the wall to the shelf.

For filling the holes left on the edges by cutting I used "Bosny" wall putty. Comes ready to use in a small white tub with yellow logo. Just smear it on then smooth with damp cloth and fine sand when dry.

I just painted some new shelves with acrylic emulsion primer, the stuff used for sealing cement walls. Dries real quick in the sun and was able to paint and put the shelves up in an afternoon. It was only some shelves for the shed so have not bothered with a final coat.

If you your wife is really worried about putting clothes on the paint why not cover the shelves with that plastic table covering stuff you can buy in any of the big stores or, my preference, lino type floor covering.

thumbsup.gif

Oh! just one more thing forget about the spirit level you will drive yourself nuts. Depending where the shelves are located take measurement from the ceiling or the floor to get your level. That way the shelves will "look" straight.

Edited by Daffy D

Oh! just one more thing forget about the spirit level you will drive yourself nuts. Depending where the shelves are located take measurement from the ceiling or the floor to get your level. That way the shelves will "look" straight.

You gotta be kidding, right?

No,I don't think he is.

Often when you get a gob done nice and level in Thailand it looks all off

with everything else in the room.

i second that most structures here wont be level so put a shelf up level and it will stand out a mile better run with its surroundings, add to that a lot of the levels you buy here aint true

I have plywood shelves in my walk in closets and homemade cabinets, they are painted with oil base acrylic enamel and it has never come off on our clothes. Just make sure that it is completely dry and put on at least 3 coats for a good surface finish.

oil based acrylic now there's a thing

A quick and easy and lazymans way is to use a waterbased paint as primer/sealer. Same stuff as used for painting walls.

Then you don't have to bother with all that primer and undercoat stuff. Slap on a couple of the water based paint a quick sand down and finish with your oil based black matt.

Oh! and be sure to paint both sides of the plywood otherwise it will warp.

be careful of the matt black enamel as it may come of onto clothes we use it for black boards in our restaurant and if you rub your hand on it you get black fingers

You gotta be kidding, right?

When I hang a Flatscreen bracket or a shelf on the wall even with a level,

I double check my level-ness with a measurment ceiling to line level points at both ends and middle....

Never use the floor,

Measure twice and Drill just one hole per screw will look nice.

No Kidding...