Thai Army seeks to 'talk' to Cambodians across border

webfact

Army seeks to 'talk' to Cambodians across border
The Nation

30217837-01_big.jpg?1382574421652

Loudspeakers installed in several sites in si sa ket ahead of landmark ruling

BANGKOK: -- LOUDSPEAKERS HAVE been installed by the Thai military at several locations in Si Sa Ket province adjacent to Preah Vihear Temple in readiness for the landmark International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruling on land surrounding the ancient site.

A local Army unit commander said they wanted to ensure constant communication with the Cambodian military to prevent any possible disturbances in the run-up to the judgement.

Routine messages have already been sent out in Khmer after the installation of the loudspeakers, at the direct order of Army commander General Prayuth Chan-ocha, said Colonel Thanasak Mittraphanon, commander of Taskforce One.

30217837-03_big.jpg

Providing explanations

"In case there are any accidental gunshots or a similar commotion on the Thai side, messages will be sent out to the Cambodian soldiers to explain to them, before the two sides engage out of a misunderstanding," the colonel explained.

Among the more than 10 sites where loudspeakers have been installed are Phu Makhua and Sat Som, he said.

The taskforce is attached to the Suranari Force under the Second Army Region, which operates in the Northeast including the border province next to Cambodia.

A large number of Thais visited Preah Vihear during yesterday's holiday, saying they wanted to see and take pictures of the ancient Hindu temple, and the Mor E Dang cliff it is situated on, before the ICJ ruling is read out on November 11.

Prayuth, speaking earlier in a press interview, said the military was ready to handle the situation relating to the ICJ ruling "in all aspects", while retaining communication with the Cambodian military.

"The Army maintains that its duty is to safeguard the country and sovereignty, and all units have been instructed to stay alert while keeping up good relations with our neighbour," he added.

"I hope nothing bad is going to happen, as the Thai and Cambodian military are in constant contact at all levels, as are the governments of both countries. Whatever happens, there needs to be dialogue to sort everything out. Let's not speculate now about anything good or bad that might happen," he said.

Prayuth also called on the media not to be prematurely speculative about the issue, especially on the potential negative effects of the ruling, or on anything connecting this international affair with domestic politics.

Supreme Commander General Thanasak Pratimapakorn and Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Niphat Thonglek echoed Prayuth, saying all necessary measures had been adopted ahead of the ICJ ruling, adding that the situation would be dealt with through peaceful and diplomatic means.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

....I wonder if this might not be an 'arranged outcome'....with someone with close connections to The Cambodian Government.....hint, hint...

....then you-know-who will be praised....and then they can rape Thailand for another 4 years....

....must always have Thai Soap Operas in the back of ones mind.....

....that is really the level that they think and operate at...

I have been to Preah Vihear a couple of times (Khmer side) and pretty much all the soldiers carried mobile phones (and yes, there is a network up there). I also seem to remember that there is a direct phone line between the two sides. On my last visit, Thai and Khmer officers were having a cup of tea together on the Khmer side.

Actually if they play non-stop "look thung" or isaan music at high volume through the loudspeakers, the Cambodians might just let them have the land anyway..I know I would...

You obviously haven't listened to Khmer wedding music.....biggrin.png

• Like 2

LMAO !! Next it will be two tin cans and some string !! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif WAIT .... Maybe they'll play real loud music so the "Enemy" can not hear them sneak up on them !! clap2.gif..... Do love that speaker tree though .... Where can you buy one of those ?? Be great for the out door BBQ area !!! thumbsup.gif

Edited by noikrit

The Thai military are right on with this very Asian approach to the risk of inadvertent rifle fire from a nervous soldier of either side.

The presence of the loudspeakers and the intended use for them sends a message of peace to the soldiers and the civilians on both sides of the border.