Mouse With A Mind Of Its Own.

Sometimes my mouse has a mind of it’s own suddenly dropping to the bottom of the screen or sliding around the screen perimeter. This happens frequently without warning and lasts for about 20 seconds before returning to normal operation.

Someone told me it has something to do with a conflict between the mouse and the built in touch pad which I have tried to turn off without success.

Any ideas as to what is going on and how to cure the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I don't have the solution but I can say I have the same problem.

I have a notebook O/S windows SP2 and I use a wireless mouse which connects via USB 2.0.

My pointer sometimes darts to the bottom right hand corner or darts to the top and I have to move the mouse to find the pointer.

Would be interesting if anyone knows whats going on.

are you using an optical mouse?? What kind of surface (and colors) are you using the mouse on??

I read somewhere that optical mouses works best on a flat surface with dark colors. (for example..if you use it on a mirror, u'll surely face some problems)...

i have a kensington mouse and the same thing happened when i was using this mouse pad with some yellow color on it (i dont know if theres a connection here)....then later i tried using it on a black surface....no problems since..

if not because of these problems, maybe its because of the touchpad...in that case..i dont know much about :o

An optical mouse can misbehave, but it won't misbehave for 20 seconds at a time. It sounds a lot like a hardware problem to me.

If you want to disable the touchpad, you can do it in the bios for most notebooks. If you have a Thinkpad, you can do it in the provided utility.

You can also try using another mouse, and see what happens.

My Dell touchpad started doing weird things like this when it got dirty and damp, a wipe with an alcohol soaked tissue may be the answer.

Otherwise you ought to be able to turn it off in the BIOS settings.

Put this little icon near the middle of your desktop, and the mouse will then stay on the screen.

post-7384-1146832027.jpg

:o

Seriously Synaptics make most of the touch pads used on computers.

Download the driver.

It will allow you to control and even disable the touch pad.

Edited by astral

• 6 months later...
On my laptop, Acer, I switch of the touchpad by pressing the Fn key and F7 at the same time. The F7 key has a picture of a finger pointing to a square.

Oh yes. The first time I accidentally hit it I was sweating profusely for a few hours - I tried all sorts of mice in all sorts of ports, I downloaded new drivers (and that Taiwanese company that makes touchpads didn't offer any on it's website). It was living hel_l, right in the middle of a working day.

RTFM - the last thing I would ever look into, being a male.