Inflation in LOS

jaideeguy

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not much of an economist but in comparison to 18 years ago I spent double nowadays to enjoy the same standard of living.

You don't need to be an economist. It is what it is. I too, spend 2X what I spent here 10 years ago and have not upped my standard of living either. The one and only thing that has remained stable is the price of rents which is due to the over-supply of rental properties on the market.

The only way to live cheaply in Thailand is to cut your lifestyle way down and think like a Thai.

an absolutely wrong generalisation NeverSure! living our personal "Thai life style" in our home country Germany would require not only triple the investment as far as accomodation is concerned but also triple the income before taxes to cover our living expenses and set aside the same amount for re-investment.

even for you, being a slave of the IRS, it should not be too difficult to realise that a German citizen in the top income tax bracket who lives in Thailand is spending less than what he'd have to pay to Herrn Wolfgang Schäuble the German Minister of Finance.

• Like 1

How can people keep saying it is cheaper to live in LOS than in the US? I think inflation has been awful in Thailand in the past 5 years and it is no longer cheap.

The only way to live cheaply in Thailand is to cut your lifestyle way down and think like a Thai.

US. Western food, electronics, cars, gasoline - everything Western is much cheaper and you can own land.

On a budget? Buy this house in the really nice little town of Hereford Texas which is a cattle ranch and wheat community. HERE and your payments including property taxes and insurance would be only $390 (12,000 baht) per month, and the sellers should accept $70k for the house in this market. You'd need $15k down which is just about 465K baht, or much less than LOS requires for a retirement extension.

Click through the pictures. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, underground utilities, nice street, curbs, sidewalks, and the water is safe to drink. The sanitary sewer works, plumbed into the sewer line in the street. It includes the land.

If you're broke rent out 1 of the bedrooms and bathrooms to a renter and live there nearly for free.

Now let's buy a used car. HERE I just grabbed the first dodgy looking real man's truck I saw. It's a 3/4 ton extra cab. The dealer wants 120,000 baht for it but I'll bet he'd take 90,000 baht. Wrong rig? There are thousands more out there and probably better.

<deleted> is "cheap" about Thailand unless you want a 30 sm studio and dodgy food and water?

Although I would never live in Hereford, Texas I get your point and agree with you. Thailand is no longer inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing that is more reasonable than in the West are rents. Ours has stayed the same for many years but the owner does nothing to maintain or improve the property as a trade off for keeping the rent low. At first this was a good arrangement as getting people to do repairs was cheap. Now, with all the building going on everywhere contractors are in demand (and are becoming more specialized) and getting people to come repair things has become difficult and expensive as nobody wants to come for only 2 hours and make 500 Baht anymore. They screen very carefully on the telephone to see if it is a small job and if so, they are not interested.

Automobiles here are crazy expensive...

Many foods can be bought cheaper in the West than here including many fruits and vegetables. One thing I found odd when I was in the USA last was that some Thai food products sold in American supermarkets are actually cheaper there than in Thailand - after they had been exported half-way around the world!

I should add that generic drugs manufactured in Thailand are still a very good bargain and of course health care is reasonable despite the fact that it has gone up 100% in the last 7 years or so is still a bargain compared to that in the West.

From an economic perspective ...

Thailand Inflation Rate The inflation rate in Thailand was recorded at 1.42 percent in September of 2013. Inflation Rate in Thailand is reported by the Bureau of Trade and Economic Indices, Ministry of Commerce, Thailand. Thailand Inflation Rate averaged 4.62 Percent from 1977 until 2013, reaching an all time high of 24.56 Percent in June of 1980 and a record low of -4.38 Percent in July of 2009. In Thailand, the most important categories in the consumer price index are Food (33 percent of total weight), Transportation and communication (27 percent of total weight) and Housing and furnishing (23.5 percent of total weight). Others include: Health care (7 percent); Recreation and education (5 percent), Electricity, fuel and water supply (5 percent) and Apparel and footwear (3 percent).

thailand-inflation-cpi.png?s=thcpiyoy

Here

What we see seems to be at odds with the above graph, but sometimes our perceptions and reality are not aligned.

A declining Thai Baht will make imports more expensive.

Changes in government policy such as increases in the alcohol tax have a direct effect on the price paid, thus inflation.

Was this released by the government? If so, don't believe a word of it!

How can people keep saying it is cheaper to live in LOS than in the US? I think inflation has been awful in Thailand in the past 5 years and it is no longer cheap.

US. Western food, electronics, cars, gasoline - everything Western is much cheaper and you can own land.

On a budget? Buy this house in the really nice little town of Hereford Texas which is a cattle ranch and wheat community. HERE and your payments including property taxes and insurance would be only $390 (12,000 baht) per month, and the sellers should accept $70k for the house in this market. You'd need $15k down which is just about 465K baht, or much less than LOS requires for a retirement extension.

Click through the pictures. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, underground utilities, nice street, curbs, sidewalks, and the water is safe to drink. The sanitary sewer works, plumbed into the sewer line in the street. It includes the land.

If you're broke rent out 1 of the bedrooms and bathrooms to a renter and live there nearly for free.

Now let's buy a used car. HERE I just grabbed the first dodgy looking real man's truck I saw. It's a 3/4 ton extra cab. The dealer wants 120,000 baht for it but I'll bet he'd take 90,000 baht. Wrong rig? There are thousands more out there and probably better.

<deleted> is "cheap" about Thailand unless you want a 30 sm studio and dodgy food and water?

Although I would never live in Hereford, Texas I get your point and agree with you. Thailand is no longer inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing that is more reasonable than in the West are rents. Ours has stayed the same for many years but the owner does nothing to maintain or improve the property as a trade off for keeping the rent low. At first this was a good arrangement as getting people to do repairs was cheap. Now, with all the building going on everywhere contractors are in demand (and are becoming more specialized) and getting people to come repair things has become difficult and expensive as nobody wants to come for only 2 hours and make 500 Baht anymore. They screen very carefully on the telephone to see if it is a small job and if so, they are not interested.

Automobiles here are crazy expensive...

Many foods can be bought cheaper in the West than here including many fruits and vegetables. One thing I found odd when I was in the USA last was that some Thai food products sold in American supermarkets are actually cheaper there than in Thailand - after they had been exported half-way around the world!

I should add that generic drugs manufactured in Thailand are still a very good bargain and of course health care is reasonable despite the fact that it has gone up 100% in the last 7 years or so is still a bargain compared to that in the West.

in non tourist areas rents are cheaper, houses are cheaper, food is cheaper, taxes are less, general labour around the home is cheaper, clothes are cheaper, bus and train and air fares are cheaper, hotels are cheaper, taxis are cheaper

• Like 1

In my opinion the only reason it's cheaper to live in Thailand than the USA, is that I'm willing to make concessions in my lifestyle here that I am not willing to make back home. I'm perfectly happy with my small apartment here and using a motorbike and songthaews to get around, but in the USA I would feel a little out of place doing that.

But by using your motorbike here (something you would probably never do in the West) you risk your life each and every day just to save money. We dumped our motorcycle and only travel by car now. Motorcycles are way too dangerous here. It doesn't matter what the savings are.

I pity that guys that came here on tight pensions in the mid-2000's.

They must be suffering now.

Probably living off Mama nooden for breakfast lunch and dinner.

if they cant live off their tight pension in thailand, its a cinch they wouldnt be able to live off it in their home country

Not true actually.

Health costs, visas, family care and board if needed.

Here: Visa worries, health cost worries, no family (except perhaps a local on a salary), a dwindling pension that has lost almost half its worth due to exchange rates, pension cuts and inflation.

A sad life.

Not true actually.

Health costs, visas, family care and board if needed.

Here: Visa worries, health cost worries, no family (except perhaps a local on a salary), a dwindling pension that has lost almost half its worth due to exchange rates, pension cuts and inflation.

A sad life.

visas dont worry those with a proper visa, health insurance cheaper in thailand, my pension has appreciated to the baht, no one can cut my pension, and inflation exists the world over.

No proper visas for those on tight pensions that can't make the requirements.

Many came here from the UK on state pensions when it was 70b to the pound, cost of living was 1/3rd less than it is now.

No free health care here.

Ouch.

Edited by yingyo

No proper visas for those on tight pensions that can't make the requirements.

Many came here from the UK on state pensions when it was 70b to the pound, cost of living was 1/3rd less than it is now.

No free health care here.

Ouch.

and its now much more expensive in the uk as well

If after one year of renting I find I'd rather be somewhere else in Thailand, I will move and rent another apartment for a year, paying in advance.

I will continue to visit a couple of times a year and see my friends and enjoy myself, and then go back to home in the US.

This, in my opinion, is the model way of 'living' in Thailand.

1. Has inflation raised or lowered the price of air fares to Thailand and back to the USA in the past 5 years? (Not 10 or 2 or 3 but 5 years!)

2. How long could one live in Thailand for the price of 3 air round trips a year?

3. Would a person who has the cash to fly back and forth to Thailand 3 times a year worry about 3% inflation?

Wow, really?

Are their pounds also worth 1/3rd less there now, like they are here?

With no free healthcare?

1/3 less as compared to what?

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=10Y

76b down to 50b to the GBP.

hovering around 75b up until Sept. 2005.

50% more than it is now.

Ouch.

that has nothing to do with the cost of living in the uk

This is a thread about Inflation in Thailand.

For Westerners earning their income from foreign currencies the exchange rate is vital. Those Brits who retired here 8 years ago were getting 50% more baht to the pound than they are now. This needs to be added to rates of inflation to really see the cost of life difference for them here between the two periods.

Give it up lad, you're embarrassing yourself.

Edited by yingyo

For Westerners earning their income from foreign currencies the exchange rate is vital. Those Brits who retired here 8 years ago were getting 50% more baht to the pound than they are now. This needs to be added to rates of inflation to really see the cost of life difference for them here between the two periods.

i dont care what the OP was about , I was replying to a statement YOU made:

Posted Today, 11:04

yingyo, on 26 Oct 2013 - 20:02, said:snapback.png

if they cant live off their tight pension in thailand, its a cinch they wouldnt be able to live off it in their home country

and you chose to dispute that. try and keep up little man

• Like 1

I believe the smart money transferred all assets from the West to Thailand 8 years ago so they now only have to worry about inflation. I know I did.biggrin.png

And yes, I clearly pointed out why that comment of yours was wrong, but you don't seem to understand the idea of free health care and losing 1/3 of your income due to exchange rates. :(

Move on lad, it's embarrassing to see.

And yes, I clearly pointed out why that comment of yours was wrong, but you don't seem to understand the idea of free health care and losing 1/3 of your income due to exchange rates. sad.png

Move on lad, it's embarrassing to see.

and there is far more to the UK cost of living than health care junior. and the cost of those necessities has skyrocketed. you havent a clue

Ah, you being an American explains a lot in terms of inability to admit being incorrect.

Have you learned how massively fluctuating exchange rates (of up to 50%) affect one's cost of living in a foriegn country yet?

Edited by yingyo

keep fishing son, even a broken clock is right twice a day! lol

Ah, you being an American explains a lot in terms of inability to admit being incorrect.

Have you learned how massively fluctuating exchange rates (of up to 50%) affect one's cost of living in a foriegn country yet?