Buying luggage in Pattaya

djmatty

Hi,

My Samsonite has pretty much bitten the dust on the last flight here. I've seen plenty of places selling

them, but wondered if anyone who's bought from them could give any opinions or advice please,

I'm wondering whether to buy here or at home, as I know the label probably isn't going to mean much here.

Thanks, Matt.

The hard-shell suitcases they sell in the shops on 2nd road are junk!!! Mine lasted 2 flights and it was put in the trash! Fell apart on the runway while loading it into the plane. They brought me the pieces onto the plane!! If you travel a lot, its worth it to spend the money and buy a quality suitcase. Unless of course you don't mind replacing every other flight. But you will land up paying more in the long run, unless you only fly once a year.

• Like 2

I've got a beat up crappy looking fabric suitcase bought on 2nd Road for the price of half a dozen beers. It's seen a dozen international trips and numerous local trips, but refuses to die. It's been drowned, dragged, dropped and generally been atrociously abused.

I know consider it a family heirloom. coffee1.gif

Sometimes better to go for the "no-name" brand that are decent quality and cheap, rather than the brand name knock-offs.

• Like 1

Where is home? If the US, then I would recommend having a look at the rolling duffel bags at LL Bean, and get one there. Several different sizes and colors.

I have used them exclusively for nearly 20 years of heavy international travel and they are damn near indestructible.

They will ship abroad, but I suspect that the shipping cost may be high.

If it needs to be Samsonite, I agree that money would be better spent in the US. Although that brand and others are available in the high-end malls here, the mark up is disproportionate and the selection limited. Needless to say, the brand-name stuff under the tents and in the markets is junk.

If you want to see what's up there with Samsonite, I thoroughly recommend this online shop.

I do between 120,000 and 200,000 flight miles a year, depending on how hungry I get. I stopped using hard-shell suitcases about 10 years ago and went to rolling duffels. I still have the full range of the eBags 'Mother Lode' range that my wife uses now.

My latest purchase has been the 5.11 Tactical range of rolling gear and this one is my new favourite (not available on eBags).

post-35874-0-52322600-1383213669_thumb.j post-35874-0-17256700-1383213692_thumb.j

Edited by NanLaew

Where is home? If the US, then I would recommend having a look at the rolling duffel bags at LL Bean, and get one there. Several different sizes and colors.

I have used them exclusively for nearly 20 years of heavy international travel and they are dam_n near indestructible.

They will ship abroad, but I suspect that the shipping cost may be high.

Yep...if in the USA, I would second just about anything from ll bean, however the winter parkas may be a bit warm for Thailand.

Thanks again, home is in England so the ll bean option may be difficult to source. I travel a lot so there's no point buying something that won't last. I also understand the point that expensive luggage is a target, so I'll keep on researching to find a happy medium I hope.

I've always assumed that Pattaya has so many shops selling luggage because any item bought never survives the return trip, so every time people come back they need to buy more. Or maybe the idea is that they have to come back to complain about the quality of the luggage, thus helping tourist arrival figures?

I use a Carlton rigid suitcase that was used by my father for 8 years before he died 10 years ago. Still going strong. Even the wheels still both work.

If it needs to be Samsonite, I agree that money would be better spent in the US. Although that brand and others are available in the high-end malls here, the mark up is disproportionate and the selection limited. Needless to say, the brand-name stuff under the tents and in the markets is junk.

If you want to see what's up there with Samsonite, I thoroughly recommend this online shop.

I do between 120,000 and 200,000 flight miles a year, depending on how hungry I get. I stopped using hard-shell suitcases about 10 years ago and went to rolling duffels. I still have the full range of the eBags 'Mother Lode' range that my wife uses now.

My latest purchase has been the 5.11 Tactical range of rolling gear and this one is my new favourite (not available on eBags).

attachicon.gif5.11-Tactical-CAMS-2.0.jpg attachicon.gif5.11-Tactical-CAMS-2.0in.jpg

Interesting. What's the big advantage of the duffel bag style over the conventional?