Honda CB500F/500X/CBR500 cooling fan size?

VocalNeal

I admit to be lazy here but their is not a Honda Big Wing near me.

Will someone measure the coolong fan on their 500 and let me know its size and if not too much to ask a picture?

My bike has a fan

P1010044_zps18da7814.jpg

but the temp does rise sharply in Bangkok traffic. It is just about OK above 70 kph but sitting at long lights!

If I had a larger fan I would feel more at ease riding in Bangkok and therefore get back into riding more frequently.

(For all you techie's there is a reason it gets hot in traffic and there is nothing basically wrong with the bike or the cooling system) Well nothing that a different radiator maybe wouldn't fix but I don't think that will fit behind the fairing)

I don't see the problem, I am in BKK traffic every day and I haven't had any issues with it.

And if you live in BKK, then Big Wing is not too far away, is it now?

You haven't had any issues with your bike or my bike?

I can walk to my regular Honda dealer but cannot walk to Big wing as that is up by Lad Prao/ Ramintra. I can go into my local Honda dealer , grab any parts book, thumb through it until I find what I am looking for, like I did today, for an SH150 "drive face" but don't know if Big Wing will afford me the same courtesy?

ever consider getting the radiator flushed? Theres a special solvent that will clean it out internally....and for the fins you can go to a car air conditioning place to get a cleaner for the fins, they use it on the evaporator core behind the dash of a car. But wherever you take it to get cleaned will probably do the outside too, just make sure dem fools dont paint the fins.

got the radiator flushed properly once on a TZM 150 and the difference in running temperature was very significant. It went from overheating to a little above cold. After that i stopped using water and only run 100% coolant. Although water has better thermal transfer than coolant, water's impurities shows its ugly face over time....because it can induce internal rust.

btw love the ziptie thumbsup.gif

ever consider getting the radiator flushed? Theres a special solvent that will clean it out internally....and for the fins you can go to a car air conditioning place to get a cleaner for the fins, they use it on the evaporator core behind the dash of a car. But wherever you take it to get cleaned will probably do the outside too, just make sure dem fools dont paint the fins.

got the radiator flushed properly once on a TZM 150 and the difference in running temperature was very significant. It went from overheating to a little above cold. After that i stopped using water and only run 100% coolant. Although water has better thermal transfer than coolant, water's impurities shows its ugly face over time....because it can induce internal rust.

btw love the ziptie thumbsup.gif

You missed my bit for the techie in brackets? As I said there is nothing wrong with the cooling system the radiator or anything else. At above 70 kph is is fine and runs in the "normal" zone it just gets hot sat at long lights or when crawling in traffic which is sometimes unavoidable.

It is an "add-on" fan and there are two zip ties laugh.png as you call them or ty-wraps as I would a call them. They are all that holds the fan on.whistling.gif

I just think a larger fan will be better and stop me fretting over water temperature at long lights, which ruins the whole motorcycling experience.

ah ok, was just wondering...when i did my radiator i couldnt see anything inside it, but the flush with chemicals helped a great deal.

Maybe you can try running synthetic oil? When i did that operating temperature went down. But damn its expensive !

Edited by KRS1

I don't see the problem, I am in BKK traffic every day and I haven't had any issues with it.

I can walk to my regular Honda dealer but cannot walk to Big wing as that is up by Lad Prao/ Ramintra. I can go into my local Honda dealer , grab any parts book, thumb through it until I find what I am looking for, like I did today, for an SH150 "drive face" but don't know if Big Wing will afford me the same courtesy?

I haven't had any issues with my bike, which is a CB500F.

Why would you want to walk to Big Wing if you have a bike?

I haven't had any issues with my bike, which is a CB500F.

Why would you want to walk to Big Wing if you have a bike?

Well I obviously have a small issue with my bike which is not a CB500F. So as I don't have a CB500F at hand why not stick a tape measure on the fan of yours?

Why walk?. Well I see and pass all sorts of interesting shops and businesses. Max Value is next door to the Honda dealer . There are at least two hardware stores to buy odds and sods, there is an electronics component store which I go to occasional. KFC is adjacent to Honda for a very occasional lunch. So by walking I find out where many things are that I may need.

op// why not tell us what bike you have?

I'm with Krs1 on the cleaning the rad.. worked a treat on my old cbr250 4 cylinder and they are notorious for traffic light overheats.. the other thing that i did was fit a fan switch bypassing the thermostat so if sat at lights i could turn the fan on earlier than the thermostat... you may also be able to buy a lower thermostat as well.

The fan is roughly 5 inches across.

It's quite well hidden, so this is the best I could do.

Cheers Wong. 5 inches it is.

My rad is 616 sq cm but my fan is only 90mm or 3.5 in. so I only have 63 sq cm of fan cooling or about 10%.

a 5 inch fan would give me double or 126 sq cm or 20% of fan cooled area.

Although your picture looks like a 5 in fan with 4 legs whereas mine had a stationary circular shroud. Hmmm. My rad doesn't have any mounting lugs for a fan as the OEM doesn't have one so I need something rigid. Maybe I am encouraged enough to pop over there and see how friendly they are.

Thanks for the info. happy to reciprocate if and when I can.

Edited by VocalNeal