Nexus 5 is out.

Phil Conners

16 GB version $349 + tax and shipping -- but already out of stock

32 GB version $399 + tax and shipping

Only sold through Google Play and you need a US IP address to even see the page, and plastic with a US billing address to buy it, but there is a review in CNET of it:

Google Nexus 5 with LTE available now, starts at $349 unlocked; coming to Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T soon for as low as $149 (hands-on)
CNET Editors' Take October 31, 2013 11:01 AM PDT
Google_Nexus_5-5586_610x407.jpg

Google takes the wraps off its Nexus 5.

(Credit: Josh Miller/CNET)

It's finally here.

After months of leaks and rumors, Google officially announced its latest flagship phone, the Nexus 5, during a press event today in San Francisco. The device will run the latest Android 4.4 KitKat operating system, and like its predecessor, it will be manufactured by LG.

However, the handset features several key changes, like a bigger 4.95-inch screen, a faster Snapdragon 800 processor, and most notably LTE support. It will be available unlocked at the Google Play Store for $349 (16GB) and $399 (32GB) starting today.

Full review at http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-5/

Just checked, the above is also true for the Canadian play store and I don't think there's a need for US or Canadian IP, I've logged in from Thailand into my play store account , Nexus 5 is out there.

For me it's showing the 16Gb is in stock and 32Gb is out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just checked, the above is also true for the Canadian play store and I don't think there's a need for US or Canadian IP, I've logged in from Thailand into my play store account , Nexus 5 is out there.

For me it's showing the 16Gb is in stock and 32Gb is out.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting. What's the URL for the Canadian play store? I tried play.google.ca but it doesn't exist. I found a Nexus 5 page at http://www.google.ca/nexus/5/ but as soon as you hit "buy" you're directed to play.google.com which prominently displays "Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet. We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible. Please check back again soon.". By using a proxy server I can see the page, but during the ordering process a credit card with a US billing address is required so no cigar.

I had a friend in US order one for me, should be shipped out Nov 8, time will show if/when it gets here wink.png

As for availability, a couple of websites suggest it comes and goes for some reason. I guess with the price being very attractive for this device it will sell out very fast just like the N4 did when released.

OK, there isn't really a Canadian play store, it's the same play.google.com but I have my Canadian address registered on it with a Canadian CC attached.

Looks like one has to be logged into their Canadian (US, possibly UK) accounts to buy it.

This is as far as I can go to show it's availability.

post-111234-0-46734200-1383398317_thumb.

Right now it's showing both 16 and 32 versions as in stock but for both it says: Leaves warehouse in 4 - 5 weeks. Learn more

• 3 weeks later...

Was there a choice of versions? I see "North America" and "rest of the world".

Which will work on True Move?

Thanks.

Smoochy

Believe the D820 variant is sold on the Play Store in the U.S.A., and that LG have localized the D821 variant for sale here.

For TrueMove do you mean TrueMove H? 3G? LTE? Believe either/both would work on TrueMove (GSM 1800), TrueMove H: 850 & 2100 3G and 2100 LTE.

Was there a choice of versions? I see "North America" and "rest of the world".

Which will work on True Move?

Thanks.

Smoochy

Believe the D820 variant is sold on the Play Store in the U.S.A., and that LG have localized the D821 variant for sale here.

For TrueMove do you mean TrueMove H? 3G? LTE? Believe either/both would work on TrueMove (GSM 1800), TrueMove H: 850 & 2100 3G and 2100 LTE.

Ya, TrueMove Hutch or whatever they call it these days. I just ordered a US branded model that I'm having some family bring on an upcoming trip. Hope it is as good as it appears.

Cheers.

I just got a D820 and it worked right away with Truemove-H here in Pattaya. I don't know what it's supposed to show with 4G working, so far all I've seen is the usual E and H icons. Nice enough little phone (after a Note 2), really can't complain considering the low price, $400 (the 32G model) + some 2,000 baht in taxes and shipping costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a thought:

Why not get the Nexus 7 instead? I saw the 5 when i was at the mall yesterday, but I thought I would regret it if I bought one instead of the 7.

Nexus 5 is a phone, and a really nice phone. 5 inch displey, pure, clean Android with no added crap.

Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet, it is not a phone. You can not make GSM calls with it.

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just a thought:

Why not get the Nexus 7 instead? I saw the 5 when i was at the mall yesterday, but I thought I would regret it if I bought one instead of the 7.

Nexus 5 is a phone, and a really nice phone. 5 inch displey, pure, clean Android with no added crap.

Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet, it is not a phone. You can not make GSM calls with it.

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Right you are!

I wish I had one, but I will make do with an el cheapo Acer + a Nexus 7.

Maybe I should have gotton the larger and better Samsung?

Also, if you do get one of these Nexus 5 machines,

Try not to sit on it this time.

You do not want to go through that heartache all over again.

• Like 1